What annoyed you today whilst driving ?

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Aye, it's usually a case of 'buy car, set lights to auto, never touch again' apart from MOT

You can't turn the autolights off in my Insignia really.

Well you can, but the next time you turn the car on the autolights are back on. You'd have to willingly turn them off everytime you started the car.

genman

G
i dont tailgate, but i do weave and use all of the road in bends where i have a view and its safe, and drive in the middle of the road, your taught it on advanced riding and driving and the even police training. its not illegal, the white line is only paint.
as for a possible dui behind, we'll never know. maybe just a wan*er
agree with others. . bad practice to drive like that and in breach of the highway code so technically you can be prosecuted
A broken white line. This marks the centre of the road. When this line lengthens and the gaps shorten, it means that there is a hazard ahead. Do not cross it unless you can see the road is clear and wish to overtake or turn off.

same goes for chevrons . no one obeys the rules on them
Areas of white diagonal stripes or chevrons painted on the road. These are to separate traffic lanes or to protect traffic turning right.
  • If the area is bordered by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so.
  • If the area is marked with chevrons and bordered by solid white lines you MUST NOT enter it except in an emergency.
Laws MT(E&W)R regs 5, 9, 10 & 16, MT(S)R regs 4, 8, 9 & 14, RTA sect 36 & TSRGD 10(1)

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
agree with others. . bad practice to drive like that and in breach of the highway code so technically you can be prosecuted
A broken white line. This marks the centre of the road. When this line lengthens and the gaps shorten, it means that there is a hazard ahead. Do not cross it unless you can see the road is clear and wish to overtake or turn off.

same goes for chevrons . no one obeys the rules on them
Areas of white diagonal stripes or chevrons painted on the road. These are to separate traffic lanes or to protect traffic turning right.
  • If the area is bordered by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so.
  • If the area is marked with chevrons and bordered by solid white lines you MUST NOT enter it except in an emergency.
Laws MT(E&W)R regs 5, 9, 10 & 16, MT(S)R regs 4, 8, 9 & 14, RTA sect 36 & TSRGD 10(1)

It’s absolutely not against the Highway Code and it’s not dangerous if carried out correctly! As you have quoted you can cross a broken white line if you can see it’s safe to do so

This is an advanced driving technique and it’s difficult to grasp until you are shown it and practice it. I was taught this way through official driver training by an ex police driver trainer

genman

G
It’s absolutely not against the Highway Code and it’s not dangerous if carried out correctly! As you have quoted you can cross a broken white line if you can see it’s safe to do so

This is an advanced driving technique and it’s difficult to grasp until you are shown it and practice it. I was taught this way through official driver training by an ex police driver trainer
been and done the training and the focus is on the words "IF NECESSARY" and during the Bikesafe i was told to push on etc over the speed limit if i felt safe to do so. ... doesnt mean a judge or PSNI oficer would see it that way on any given day... its subjective and crossing white lines unnecessarily is a breach
also those quotes are from the highway code.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
It's against Highway Code ADVICE, but not against any law. If it was, this quote below would say "MUST NOT" and like the others below it in the above post, reference the relevant legislation.

"A broken white line. This marks the centre of the road. When this line lengthens and the gaps shorten, it means that there is a hazard ahead. Do not cross it unless you can see the road is clear and wish to overtake or turn off."

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
When well sighted, clear and safe I would straddle open dashed lines of it benefits me and doesn't inhibit anyone else.

Example - road with annoying soft verges.

genman

G
What are you legally obliged to do?
Many of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence.

You may be:

fined
given penalty points on your licence
be disqualified from driving
in the most serious cases you may be sent to prison
Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘must' and 'must not’. In addition, each rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence.

Although failure to comply with the other rules of the Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Legislation to establish liability. This includes rules that use advisory wording such as ‘should' and 'should not’ or ‘do' and 'do not’.

A broken white line. This marks the centre of the road. When this line lengthens and the gaps shorten, it means that there is a hazard ahead. Do not cross it unless you can see the road is clear and wish to overtake or turn off.".. .. main word there is "and". its not "or" wish to overtake or turn off.

though on certain roads in many vehicles its quite simply impossible to stay inside the white lines.

anyway. back to topic.. M2 leaving westlink and some young t**t in a Golf from the South chops without indication from lane 3 into 2 mid bend and caused a guy in a Galaxy to dive into lane 1.. as i pulled past the Southern guy was fiddling with his dash sat nav not even looking at the road.. no wonder road deaths arent decreasing as car safety improves

NotKG

Banned
MFZ3109 front .
psni car. unreadable rear plate.
IMG_20181229_163005.jpg

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
The outcome of a garda check point, getting reported to revenue for enquiry as to why my car isn't on southern plates.

Apparently I'm dodging VRT, higher road tax prices and possibly trying to evad potential speeding fines...

Still reckon she wanted me like.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
The outcome of a garda check point, getting reported to revenue for enquiry as to why my car isn't on southern plates.

Apparently I'm dodging VRT, higher road tax prices and possibly trying to evad potential speeding fines...

Still reckon she wanted me like.

Surely you’re not going to have an issue anyway if your only address is in NI?

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
Cracking up thismorning, stopping during traffic, getting out of the car and asking the guy behind me why he has been driving an inch off my bumper.

I’m not one for confrontation but people racing up behind and tailgating really angers me having been badly hit by someone doing it before.:mad:

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Very nearly hitting a pedestrian on a back road in the pitch dark , wearing a long brown coat and black bottoms. Couldn't have blended in with the hedge better if she'd tried. On my side and walking with her back to me.
I dipped the headlights as i approached a hill as i could tell cars were coming towards me. Only for that showed her silhouette or I'd have killed her for sure. Doing 50 ish in big van.

Had to stop to let cars past as she just dandered on. I wound down window and told her that i barely seen her and she should be very careful. "Oh I'm just taking the next turn, but thanks".
There was no turn. I was genuinely near going to give her a spare hi viz from the van.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
A fella in a old green jetta chancing it at a T junction by not slowing down and just firing out regardless.

Other side of the road was clear so just overtook him, but he was well caught out!

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Driving through Glengrimley this morning, using the left hand lane of the Antrim road in front of McDonald's. Light goes green, van in front moves off, car next to it indicate to turn right.

Red astra behind car in right lane, cuts in front of me, near taking the nose of my car of so I give him a blare of the horn.

And then the t**t stops dead and starts mouthing something in his rear view at me (Not sure what, I don't speak cockwomble), I'm giving him the "what are you doing?" hands and he still hasn't moved. So I then lean on the horn some more. Probably sat there for a good 20 seconds until he decided to move.

Not sure what his little stunt achieved either. Any time he saved cutting me up, he lost 10 fold sitting in the middle of a junction being offended that someone tooted their horn at him.

****-knuckle.

genman

G
Driving through Glengrimley this morning, using the left hand lane of the Antrim road in front of McDonald's. Light goes green, van in front moves off, car next to it indicate to turn right.

Red astra behind car in right lane, cuts in front of me, near taking the nose of my car of so I give him a blare of the horn.

And then the t**t stops dead and starts mouthing something in his rear view at me (Not sure what, I don't speak cockwomble), I'm giving him the "what are you doing?" hands and he still hasn't moved. So I then lean on the horn some more. Probably sat there for a good 20 seconds until he decided to move.

Not sure what his little stunt achieved either. Any time he saved cutting me up, he lost 10 fold sitting in the middle of a junction being offended that someone tooted their horn at him.

****-knuckle.
thats the prime reason why id love access to a fleet of old bangers and a box of dash cams.. sometimes those drivers deserve having their car rearranged.. shame it screws up my insurance and thats assuming anyone that cuts me up has their own.