What annoyed you today whilst driving ?

KevM

RMS Regular
Ah right, your wording made it look as if you knew for sure and that I was wrong. Lol

Are you comparing the lights in the lazy upper-class suburbs of North Down to my commute through 2 cities and part of the M1?

:p

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Saw a car there at dusk in heavy snow not a light on at the front but tail lights on so obviously fronts were broken

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
To be fair, the cold is a good killer of old or dodgy bulbs. My daughter's fiesta has blown both front dips in the last week. I replaced them both the day each blew but I'm sure plenty have to wait to get someone to do it for them or just dont notice. Had another go on the freelander a few weeks back too.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Tw@t 1: corsa jumped the lights at St.Georges market at 6am - I was clearly moving forward and she comes from the left, full send, like she didnt even see me!

Tw@t 2: motorway lisburn bound, lane hogger, focus, no lights, 55mph :mad:

Tw@t 3: motorway, craigavon bound, passat estate crawling behind a lorry as I was passing in the outside lane wings it out in front of me to slowly overtake. I had nothing behind me and this tw@t nearly causes a serious accident. Moves back into the inside lane and starts flashing his lights at me like i was the one dangerously driving!

These commutes to work now are seriously trying my patience and its only been 2 months!

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
Some people shouldn’t be aloud in the car at all, not even passenger seat.

Van almost went head on with this plank.

second picture is this muppet reversing.

518DE42A-296E-4E9C-B833-773B9546CF82.jpeg
A5BD227C-DB79-4279-8C12-B8D378DC051C.jpeg

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Folk in bumper-to-bumper traffic, that dilly-dally when driving up to Traffic lights, letting the sensors pick up a gap and trigger the red lights, then drive on through said red light, forcing everyone else behind them

One of my pet hates. They leave over a lorry length in front of them. Prince William road at Knockmore road junction in Lisburn seems to be their favourite spot too.

carson555

RMS Regular
The cyclist Bangor bound on the A2 this evening who thought he was above using the cycle lane causing cars to move into lane 2 to overtake him.

400 yards further up the road, an exemplar cyclist using the cycle lane.
8FD74E8E-A67D-4296-80E8-9F67AD500BE4.jpeg

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
The cyclist Bangor bound on the A2 this evening who thought he was above using the cycle lane causing cars to move into lane 2 to overtake him.

400 yards further up the road, an exemplar cyclist using the cycle lane.
View attachment 267118

I passed him about 5mins before you then! At that stage a tractor was in lane 2 turning right and he was level with the tractor so people were all over the place trying to pass him.

carson555

RMS Regular
I passed him about 5mins before you then! At that stage a tractor was in lane 2 turning right and he was level with the tractor so people were all over the place trying to pass him.

I may have given him a prolonged beep and flash of the left indicator but he didn’t take the hint.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
I may have given him a prolonged beep and flash of the left indicator but he didn’t take the hint.
I say this to try and help you understand - not as an argument. But if you zoom in on the picture you posted of the "cycle lane" above, the amount of debris lying in it is unreal! Trying to cycle down that on a road bike with narrow tyres is more dangerous than in lane 1 imo. The risk of a puncture or swerving to avoid a large stone is high. They never seem to be maintained or even swept.

People who have never cycled wont understand this.

As for driving past beeping. Thats just downright arseholish behaviour. Would you drive past the tractor beeping because he is travelling slower than you albeit legally?

Having said that, I wouldn't cycle on a dual carriageway like that at rush hour because unfortunately there are too many drivers that think they own the road, and they are the ones making it unsafe (again imo)

Prob going to regret posting this. But if I can get just one person to think from a cyclist perspective, I'd be happy 🤣

carson555

RMS Regular
I say this to try and help you understand - not as an argument. But if you zoom in on the picture you posted of the "cycle lane" above, the amount of debris lying in it is unreal! Trying to cycle down that on a road bike with narrow tyres is more dangerous than in lane 1 imo. The risk of a puncture or swerving to avoid a large stone is high. They never seem to be maintained or even swept.

People who have never cycled wont understand this.

As for driving past beeping. Thats just downright arseholish behaviour. Would you drive past the tractor beeping because he is travelling slower than you albeit legally?

Having said that, I wouldn't cycle on a dual carriageway like that at rush hour because unfortunately there are too many drivers that think they own the road, and they are the ones making it unsafe (again imo)

Prob going to regret posting this. But if I can get just one person to think from a cyclist perspective, I'd be happy 🤣

Thanks for taking the time to reply, especially from the perspective of a cyclist. I could understand the debris part, however as mentioned, there was a cyclist using the lane further ahead so I can’t see the issue. Also, the cyclist in question was in lane 1 for as long as I saw him, so it wasn’t simply a nip out to avoid a rock / broken bottle etc.

Hands up, shouldn’t have beeped, no excuse. I wouldn’t drive past a tractor beeping in a similar manner as there is no crawler lane or specified lane for tractors or other slow moving vehicles.

Again, appreciate your response and my problem isn’t with all cyclists, simply those that seem to be above using their designated lanes and not abiding by the Highway Code.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
Thanks for taking the time to reply, especially from the perspective of a cyclist. I could understand the debris part, however as mentioned, there was a cyclist using the lane further ahead so I can’t see the issue. Also, the cyclist in question was in lane 1 for as long as I saw him, so it wasn’t simply a nip out to avoid a rock / broken bottle etc.

Hands up, shouldn’t have beeped, no excuse. I wouldn’t drive past a tractor beeping in a similar manner as there is no crawler lane or specified lane for tractors or other slow moving vehicles.

Again, appreciate your response and my problem isn’t with all cyclists, simply those that seem to be above using their designated lanes and not abiding by the Highway Code.

it’s not a designated lane. It’s an optional lane. There’s nothing mandating any cyclist from using it. As for the person who was using it, that’s their risk to take. Not all debris is easily visible and it doesn’t take too much to knick a tyre.

if the lane was actively swept and maintained you’d see cyclists using it. thefool1983 is spot on why some don’t use it. They’d rather not take the risk. You wouldn’t drive your car down an unswept hard shoulder (let’s pretend it’s an actual Lane for this comparison lol) where all the debris from the road gets pushed to.

If you want to talk about the Highway Code (which does state the use of a cycle lane is not mandatory) maybe look what it says about use of the horn. Blaring it at other road users for doing nothing wrong isn’t in there.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
I think the biggest problem is the design and upkeep of cycle lanes is pretty lame in general and other times its downright dangerous for cyclists.

The cycle lane/paths in this country are more suited to someone travelling at 10-15 mph at a leisurely pace.

Not a semi decent cyclist travelling between 20-25 mph. Imagine trying to avoid potholes, debris or broken glass when travelling at this kind of speed. Not to mention the cycle paths that when you come round a corner at this speed just says "end" and that's it, merge with traffic.

If the government are serious about encouraging more people to take up sustainable means of transport, they need to give this sort of thing much more consideration.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I destroyed 2 tyres in the space of a week riding on the shoulder there. That was on tarmac that had only been lay less that a month. 2 tyres are just shy of £90 that's why the lanes aren't used.
Screenshot_20200226-214119_Earth.jpg

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
Maybe the need for sweeping to remove debris needs flagged up to DfI?

Having said that I think I’d take my chances with the debris on the cycle lane, the risk of cycling on a dual carriageway is just too high.

Ideally yes they’d sweep it but they’ll probably give some BS reason such as it’s really just a hard shoulder with some advisory lines on it. Same with the one that runs along the Sydenham bypass country bound, always filthy. Doubt it’s ever been cleaned.

Risk is only high if people drive like dickheads without care and/or attention

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
Lorry drivers who are clearly sitting texting, Met one today who was weaving slightly. Drove past looked up and he was sitting texting.