What annoyed you today whilst driving ?

scub

Banned
It’s all well and good saying cyclists are allowed to cycle on dual carriageways and it’s down to the driver to read the road and make adjustments accordingly, that’s lovely, but the fact remains that you are making the choice to put yourself in that situation. Dual carriageways are among the fastest moving (70mph in cases) stretches of road. At the end of the day a magic bubble or air of arrogance isn’t going to protect you if someone ploughs into you.
spot on sir 👌

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
I have cycled down the hard shoulder of the dual carriageway between Banbridge and Newry before. No issues. Hard shoulder very clean with little gravel. Can see no reason why people would put themselves in the inside lane on a bicycle. As a solo cyclist who rides for leisure (both road and mountain) I have found the majority of the cycling community to be quite ignorant with a massive chip on their shoulders. No head nod or wave or even a Hello when you pass another cyclist (as you would get on a motorbike), no spacial awareness looking around and carrying out "Lifesaver" shoulder checks and signalling before turning, actual verbal abuse once when I caught up with a group of about 20 and passed them as they were dithering along 3 wide on the road.
I love cycling. I just dislike the behaviour and sense of entitlement with a lot of cyclists I have met.
For the record I find most other road users to be very courteous and patient when I'm on the bicycle.

lackingBHP

RMS Regular
Drives
mediocrely
1582794874610.png

Milmount in Dundonald and the cun&s who just pull out and use the chevrons as another lane. Traffic is already backed up to Comber as there is that many of them trying to get out in the morning.

Also if you live in there do you have to lease an Audi..........

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
I have cycled down the hard shoulder of the dual carriageway between Banbridge and Newry before. No issues. Hard shoulder very clean with little gravel. Can see no reason why people would put themselves in the inside lane on a bicycle. As a solo cyclist who rides for leisure (both road and mountain) I have found the majority of the cycling community to be quite ignorant with a massive chip on their shoulders. No head nod or wave or even a Hello when you pass another cyclist (as you would get on a motorbike), no spacial awareness looking around and carrying out "Lifesaver" shoulder checks and signalling before turning, actual verbal abuse once when I caught up with a group of about 20 and passed them as they were dithering along 3 wide on the road.
I love cycling. I just dislike the behaviour and sense of entitlement with a lot of cyclists I have met.
For the record I find most other road users to be very courteous and patient when I'm on the bicycle.
That "cycle lane" is only one example, I wouldn't ride on it. Many of them can't be ridden in/on and in many places they simply don't exist.

The day I was knocked off and left in a ditch, numerous HGV's and cars managed to pass me using Lane 2 on the A8, yet a few miles later on a decent B road a Transit is driven through me.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d

depends on the road I guess. That one to Newry sounds a lot better. If there was proper investment in cycling routes a lot of this could be avoided, but DFI don’t seem to have any desire to do so. 6 FTEs in their ‘Walking, Cycling and Inland Waterways’ unit show how seriously they take it.

agree on the behaviour of some on bikes. Some real ****ers about, usually clad to the nines thinking they’re part of the Tour de France doing inappropriate speeds on a shared paths. But that’s true for anything in life, always a small but prominent number who give the rest a bad name. Easy to point fingers at the worst on either side to make a point, but generally most people are grand.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Just half a second, it was only a short text, emergency phonecall, had an urgent twitter message, snapchat for the lads yeooo.

Where does it end, when does it end? When some discourteous, disrespectful cnut of a cyclist who's done no wrong gets flattened by a driver who's posting a banger on insta? Nah, we all know it'll be the riders fault anyway, sun in my eyes your honour.

2 years after quitting cycling myself(due to a hit and run) I'm still astounded by the blase attitude afforded to the vulnerable, on a driving forum....

I think that your issue stems from still being disgruntled about being hit then.

This is the what annoyed you thread, generally it's light hearted venting about slow cars, tractors, cyclists, it's a motoring forum I'd imagine most of us like to go for a drive at reasonable pace, with a higher level of attention to our surroundings

The so called bias against cyclists you read I think is just you focusing on the thing which angers you....

You don't jump on here giving off when one of us says old people or drivers that can't maintain a solid speed on a dual carriageway shouldn't be on the road, my case in point is a few pages back in this thread I think, there was mention of lorrys having to overtake cars on clear carriageways.

This is more or less the same kind of thing we're venting about when we say tractors/cyclists too

I don't think I've actually given off about cyclists, but you seem to read over the parts of my comments where I state I give cyclists the room they need when I pass them, or even slow down if I have to. It's still frustrating, but I'm not going to run one off the road because they've held me up.

The whole issue stems from a tractor and a cyclist who happen to have been occupying both lanes at the same point of a dcw causing mayhem from drivers who couldn't figure out what to do.

I have no issue with cyclists using the road, I just said if they and tractors were to pull in every once in a while when there was a big tail back they might not get as much abuse 🤷‍♂️

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I've said it before but I tend to not let too much annoy me while driving. Even after some muppet drove into the side of me - no point getting on like a pillock - whats the point?

Incidentally anyone caught the adverts on the radio about how to use the motorways properly? Stick to the inside lane, adhere to the dynamic speed limits, don't sit up each others basksides, etc...

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
I think that your issue stems from still being disgruntled about being hit then.

This is the what annoyed you thread, generally it's light hearted venting about slow cars, tractors, cyclists, it's a motoring forum I'd imagine most of us like to go for a drive at reasonable pace, with a higher level of attention to our surroundings

The so called bias against cyclists you read I think is just you focusing on the thing which angers you....

You don't jump on here giving off when one of us says old people or drivers that can't maintain a solid speed on a dual carriageway shouldn't be on the road, my case in point is a few pages back in this thread I think, there was mention of lorrys having to overtake cars on clear carriageways.

This is more or less the same kind of thing we're venting about when we say tractors/cyclists too

I don't think I've actually given off about cyclists, but you seem to read over the parts of my comments where I state I give cyclists the room they need when I pass them, or even slow down if I have to. It's still frustrating, but I'm not going to run one off the road because they've held me up.

The whole issue stems from a tractor and a cyclist who happen to have been occupying both lanes at the same point of a dcw causing mayhem from drivers who couldn't figure out what to do.

I have no issue with cyclists using the road, I just said if they and tractors were to pull in every once in a while when there was a big tail back they might not get as much abuse 🤷‍♂️
I'm one of the first to say a cyclist is being a cnut when a cyclist is being a cnut and likewise I post often enough about drivers and bikers.

Easy to blame cyclist/s for tailbacks isn't it? Why does nobody ever blame the driver at the head of the queue? Our club runs routinely assist drivers to overtake them yet soo many will sit behind the group when it's perfectly safe to pass, then make a mad dash when it isn't.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Incidentally anyone caught the adverts on the radio about how to use the motorways properly? Stick to the inside lane, adhere to the dynamic speed limits, don't sit up each others basksides, etc...
No, but I've always felt little tips/reminders of good driving would be more beneficial than warning school children of the dangers of blue Vauxhall Astras.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
I'm one of the first to say a cyclist is being a cnut when a cyclist is being a cnut and likewise I post often enough about drivers and bikers.

Easy to blame cyclist/s for tailbacks isn't it? Why does nobody ever blame the driver at the head of the queue? Our club runs routinely assist drivers to overtake them yet soo many will sit behind the group when it's perfectly safe to pass, then make a mad dash when it isn't.

You're absolutely right there, and I'll put my hands up and admit that's another aspect I hadn't thought of.

There are way too many drivers who are scared to overtake which is another cause for massive tail backs.

Then the queue behind that driver don't leave sufficient gaps for anyone further back to attempt to overtake a few at a time. It's lose lose most of the time

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
You're absolutely right there, and I'll put my hands up and admit that's another aspect I hadn't thought of.

There are way too many drivers who are scared to overtake which is another cause for massive tail backs.

Then the queue behind that driver don't leave sufficient gaps for anyone further back to attempt to overtake a few at a time. It's lose lose most of the time
Usually identified by a crunch into 1st and a sharp pickup in RPM that's maintained to and beyond the overtake 😂

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
On that stretch I always used the cycle lane. Though some parts of it are so bad you're on pure gravel - better a puncture than being hit.

There's been cyclists killed on that stretch of the road.

Incidentally a few years ago some guy in a Z3 blasted his horn at a group of cyclists and cut the lead guy up overtaking them. He didn't expect them to catch him up at the petrol station a few miles down the road. Wasn't such a hard lad blasting his horn then. People get on like p***ks in the car.

Did they all pull down their lycra pants and takes turns with him?

Cycle lanes are probably full of debris because no cnut cycles in them!

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Catch 2 cars on A8, the rearmost speed matching the front with a decent gap. I move to L2 and as soon as I pass it's in my rearview mirror 3in from the bumper, moves back into L1 before I do then slows down..... 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ 🤷‍♀️ 🤷‍♀️

People who exit junctions and do everything except accelerate, it's usefull when you're leaving a 30 into an NSL

Abbeycentre McDonalds - trying to turn right up Longwood Rd. Literally every car cut the corner in front of me or totally dead stopped the flow of traffic... 3 lanes there, one of them a Give Way/ Right turn only so I have every right to be there ;)

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
The **** bag in his merc than went through a roundabout without looking, horn on still never turned his head. When my engines lying in his lap the next time he might decide to look 😠

scub

Banned
Catch 2 cars on A8, the rearmost speed matching the front with a decent gap. I move to L2 and as soon as I pass it's in my rearview mirror 3in from the bumper, moves back into L1 before I do then slows down..... 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ 🤷‍♀️ 🤷‍♀️

People who exit junctions and do everything except accelerate, it's usefull when you're leaving a 30 into an NSL

Abbeycentre McDonalds - trying to turn right up Longwood Rd. Literally every car cut the corner in front of me or totally dead stopped the flow of traffic... 3 lanes there, one of them a Give Way/ Right turn only so I have every right to be there ;)
so everybody is wrong except you?
you think you're still on your pushbike lad?

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Not annoyed as such but curious.
There are several Insignias locally driving round with no front grille badge.

Noticed they’re all Opel.

Do imports have to have the Opel badges removed or something?

That would do my head in just leaving it like that but then I’d probably be classed as a fussy c**t anyway.