What annoyed you today whilst driving ?

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Coming down the Glenshane, Belfast bound, and someone in an i20 in front constantly on the brakes and doing 40 down that hill. Eventually got past when the crawler lane was empty.

No idea why they were trying to stick to 40. Clampets.
Because 40 is the speed you drive everywhere.

DWDarkWheels

RMS Regular
Cyclists have a right to use the roads BUT...

I question the wisdom of some bicycle speed time trial event north of Ballymena yesterday. On the A26 towards Coleraine before Logan's store, cyclists were being positioned for the start by use of a few cones set into the dual-carriageway, traffic whizzing by at 60/70mph 2 feet away. More cyclists heading north to the roundabout where you turn off to Ballycastle, then coming back south on the A26 before turning off into the countryside. It's madness to have these head-down-arse-up cyclists powering down a dual carriageway not looking where they're heading with no clue what's approaching behind on a busy route at the weekend. Those cyclists only have vehicle drivers to thank that none of them got mown down.

Coming back from the Ports at midday today, again on the A26 south close to Ballymoney another cyclist is doing some 'drafting' practice on single carriageway, with a red Skoda Yeti or similar coasting at 30mph with the cyclist up his arse, no thought to what traffic is amassing behind on a NSL road. Even my wife commented if the car had to stop suddenly the cyclist would be decorating the tailgate.

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3
Cyclists have a right to use the roads BUT...

I question the wisdom of some bicycle speed time trial event north of Ballymena yesterday. On the A26 towards Coleraine before Logan's store, cyclists were being positioned for the start by use of a few cones set into the dual-carriageway, traffic whizzing by at 60/70mph 2 feet away. More cyclists heading north to the roundabout where you turn off to Ballycastle, then coming back south on the A26 before turning off into the countryside. It's madness to have these head-down-arse-up cyclists powering down a dual carriageway not looking where they're heading with no clue what's approaching behind on a busy route at the weekend. Those cyclists only have vehicle drivers to thank that none of them got mown down.

Coming back from the Ports at midday today, again on the A26 south close to Ballymoney another cyclist is doing some 'drafting' practice on single carriageway, with a red Skoda Yeti or similar coasting at 30mph with the cyclist up his arse, no thought to what traffic is amassing behind on a NSL road. Even my wife commented if the car had to stop suddenly the cyclist would be decorating the tailgate.
Thank heavens for generous motorists not mowing people down 🙏

No law against cycling on a dual carriageway. If you cycle on any NSL road, you have cars flying past you at those speeds, are you saying cyclists shouldn't be allowed on NSL single carriageways either?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Squirrels

Actually like squirrels, think they are cool but has anyone else noticed the shear amount of them lately? or is it just me? Must have been doing some riding over lockdown and with the lack of cars on the road not getting splatted.

Anyway, onto my point, driving along the M2 on Friday Belfast bound, saw wee Sammy contemplating a risky cross, told him not to bother and pointed the finger, he didn't see my warning and decided to proceed..... de-doooompf - sorry Sammy.

This morning, on the way to work up past Ballymena council offices, the car in front stops dead in the middle of the road to let wee Cyril cross - fair play to the chap but if I wasn't paying attention I would have been into the back of them (second potential accident on that road in the last couple of months!)

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
Squirrels

Actually like squirrels, think they are cool but has anyone else noticed the shear amount of them lately? or is it just me? Must have been doing some riding over lockdown and with the lack of cars on the road not getting splatted.

Anyway, onto my point, driving along the M2 on Friday Belfast bound, saw wee Sammy contemplating a risky cross, told him not to bother and pointed the finger, he didn't see my warning and decided to proceed..... de-doooompf - sorry Sammy.

This morning, on the way to work up past Ballymena council offices, the car in front stops dead in the middle of the road to let wee Cyril cross - fair play to the chap but if I wasn't paying attention I would have been into the back of them (second potential accident on that road in the last couple of months!)
If they are grey aim for them 👀

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
The women that feels she has a private parking space....

I know where I’m parking everyday now

Attachments

• C32DDE1B-857E-4400-B766-052E79B07D42.jpeg
    C32DDE1B-857E-4400-B766-052E79B07D42.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 221

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Thank heavens for generous motorists not mowing people down 🙏

No law against cycling on a dual carriageway. If you cycle on any NSL road, you have cars flying past you at those speeds, are you saying cyclists shouldn't be allowed on NSL single carriageways either?

I don't think he is saying cyclists shouldnt be allowed. He is questioning is it wise for those cyclists to put themselves at that risk? Most drivers can barely avoid cars so I'd question their ability to even see cyclists let alone avoid them.

Its the reason I cycle on quiet country lanes and early mornings/ late evenings. I just don't want to trust the judgement/ reactions of someone in a car.

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3
I don't think he is saying cyclists shouldnt be allowed. He is questioning is it wise for those cyclists to put themselves at that risk? Most drivers can barely avoid cars so I'd question their ability to even see cyclists let alone avoid them.

Its the reason I cycle on quiet country lanes and early mornings/ late evenings. I just don't want to trust the judgement/ reactions of someone in a car.
Yeah but he's saying it like the high and mighty car drivers are so gracious in not knocking down cyclists.
You could say the same about anything, those car drivers are so lucky that the lorries on the road don't just plough them down the road.

The road is for everyone to share, think that's forgotten a bit at times. He probably had a 15 second inconvenience by a cyclist, life goes on.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Doesn't make a single difference where you cycle, someone somewhere will have an issue with it. Time Trials aren't held on DC's just because clubs feel like it and whenever they feel like it, risk assessments are done for every event and permission is granted by the PSNI.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Yeah but he's saying it like the high and mighty car drivers are so gracious in not knocking down cyclists.
You could say the same about anything, those car drivers are so lucky that the lorries on the road don't just plough them down the road.

The road is for everyone to share, think that's forgotten a bit at times. He probably had a 15 second inconvenience by a cyclist, life goes on.

IMO the post doesn't read like that at all.

I'll take my chances driving the car on the road with the lorries over cycling on the road with the cars tbh.

As someone who has just taken up cycling properly in the last 4months the main roads around Portstewart/ North Coast are terrifying and I think the run of the mill club cyclists have become immune to the dangers tbh particularly along that coast road.
So busy, so twisty and car drivers take risks trying to get by cyclists as the patience wears thin. You can argue that its the car drivers fault if a crash occurs because of this (it likely is) but that's no consolation to a cyclist whose just been hit/ run over.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
I was close passed on otherwise empty roads maybe 5 times yesterday, it shouldn't be normal to be used to it - but it is.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo

I'll take my chances driving the car on the road with the lorries over cycling on the road with the cars tbh.

As someone who has just taken up cycling properly in the last 4months the main roads around Portstewart/ North Coast are terrifying and I think the run of the mill club cyclists have become immune to the dangers tbh particularly along that coast road.
So busy, so twisty and car drivers take risks trying to get by cyclists as the patience wears thin. You can argue that its the car drivers fault if a crash occurs because of this (it likely is) but that's no consolation to a cyclist whose just been hit/ run over.

Went to a mates house yesterday near Hillsborough and the roads were great and got to have a bit of fun. On the way home there was a lovely twisty section and thankfully I was in the Q5 not going hard and not the S3 otherwise I probably would have had a new passenger in the front of my car in the form of a cyclist.

It is something I think that has become more and more popular over lockdown and continued through after (cycling).

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3

If you do any cycling on the road, you become accustomed to close passes. Nothing you can do about other people being dicks and it happens all the time.

We cycled from Tralee to Dublin last summer and lots of it ended up being on a roads. Drivers just have to adjust to the traffic in front of them. Easier to pass cyclists than a tractor for example, and you dont see cars piled into the back of tractors too often.

Same with Boydies post above, saying he'd have collected a cyclist if he was in the S3. If you would have ended up hitting a cyclist, you could just as easily have ended up with the link box on a tractor through your windscreen. Drive to the conditions, its a public road not your private racetrack.

I'm all for having a bit of fun on the road, but you have to take responsibility for your actions.

KevM

RMS Regular
Up into Oakridge by the looks of it. What did he gain - 3 seconds? The only possible excuse, was a medical emergency in the Nursing home, but even at that, why risk it for all the gain....?