What annoyed you today whilst driving ?

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
On a clear run from Magheralin to Dundonald I can do it in 33 mins - now thats not stuck behind anyone, very little time wasted at junctions, hitting my marker points (yes, maybe sad to have these but makes the drive more interesting) early and generally driving pretty hard.

On average my journey takes 41-45mins with the odd 37-39 min if reasonably clear but normally I am just a corner away from being behind a tractor or a granny in a Nissan Note

I genuinely feel good when I get home to the chaos of two kids, dinner to prep, house to tidy, bath times, etc... with a clear run :joy:
My approach to that is to leave 50 minutes for the journey

Best case 17 minutes early - that’s cool, that’s bonus time and I’m in a good mood because I had a clear run. Typically I’ll listen to a bit more of a podcast, maybe browse RMS etc or god forbid just start work earlier :grinning:

This means that on everything other than an exceptionally bad journey I have no need to stress

I genuinely do this by the way and find it makes a huge difference to how I start and end my day in terms of mood

My typical commute is 27 minutes on a good day, 35 on an average day and I allow 45 minutes for it and it’s really helped

It may not be for you but I thought I would share something I found helped me

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
My approach to that is to leave 50 minutes for the journey

Best case 17 minutes early - that’s cool, that’s bonus time and I’m in a good mood because I had a clear run. Typically I’ll listen to a bit more of a podcast, maybe browse RMS etc or god forbid just start work earlier :grinning:

This means that on everything other than an exceptionally bad journey I have no need to stress

I genuinely do this by the way and find it makes a huge difference to how I start and end my day in terms of mood

My typical commute is 27 minutes on a good day, 35 on an average day and I allow 45 minutes for it and it’s really helped

It may not be for you but I thought I would share something I found helped me

Can't leave work 50 mins early :joy:

Going to work is fine - officially dont start to 9am, gym 6-7 class, 7-7.45 i work on extra strengths, usually in work between 8am-8.30am

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well

Going to work is fine - officially dont start to 9am, gym 6-7 class, 7-7.45 i work on extra strengths, usually in work between 8am-8.30am
Agree. As I was always taught with my driving lessons 99% of the time its not you it's others around you. It's being made out like it's you that's causing issues when it's clearly not.
I'd say most on here cover more than the average miles on the roads too so more is noticed by people on here than someone nipping to the shops.

KIbby96

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon Cupra

Nah ive had enough of this, RMS are fully of liars!!!!!!

HOW DO PEOPLE WAKE UP AND GYM AT 6am!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You all are either liars or im a fat lazy ******* and i sure as H3LL know im not accepting one of those statements

(just to clarify i am aware that im a fat lazy git and waking up early is possible)

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Im not saying it’s Boydie causing issues but you can’t control other people

What you can do is control your own actions and minimise the impact on you

Like I said it isn’t for everybody but works for me and quite a few others I’ve talked to

For the commute home I’m not saying leave earlier just mentally prepare for how long it will take you and anything better is a bonus rather than preparing for best case and then getting annoyed

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news

HOW DO PEOPLE WAKE UP AND GYM AT 6am!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You all are either liars or im a fat lazy ******* and i sure as H3LL know im not accepting one of those statements
I used to go out cycling at 5am come home shower and take my wife to work at 7 🤣 in bed by 10 at night. Work late nights now so there zero chance of that happening anymore

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA

Haha I run at 5.20am - I start work between 7-7.30 and then have busy evenings with kids etc so the morning works best

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo

:joy: up at 5, few chores, out the door at 0545, gym class at 6-7 then usually some extras until 0745, on the road for 8, work for 0820/30 depending on traffic/how long extras take

5 days a week

weekends usually dictated by our youngest who is 2 in December, can be any time from 0530-0730

Like @mk2driver the evenings are a write off with the kids - straight in the door, calm down the chaos, tidy up, dinner, bath time, bed time, then cook our dinner around 20.00 with peace and quiet. Bed usually around 10pm

Get up, get at it :p

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The grind of the commute can be brutal. Don’t miss it at all tbh. Even when it was 3 miles it was a pain. Same plebs doing the same things every day. Cutting in, etc. Could arrive home in a rage sometimes.

Say what you like about city living but it has its advantages.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
Yes but....
fomo-lonely.gif

c_rad

RMS Regular
The grind of the commute can be brutal. Don’t miss it at all tbh. Even when it was 3 miles it was a pain. Same plebs doing the same things every day. Cutting in, etc. Could arrive home in a rage sometimes.

100 miles a day and around 2+ hours a day commuting. It's starting to wear quite thin for me now.

K55

RMS Regular
The amount of death wish cyclists floating around Dublin at night with no lights at all, passed 4 or 5 within about 5 minutes.... 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Been listening to more podcasts lately too and from work and I have noticed I am less annoyed on the roads (you'd be glad to hear @mk2driver :joy:)

The amount of death wish cyclists floating around Dublin at night with no lights at all, passed 4 or 5 within about 5 minutes.... 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

Was driving through Short Strand the other morning in Belfast at 0530 - pitch black. Notice to my right someone on an electric scooter. Wearing all black, no lights, no reflective gear, he was of colour himself. If I wasn't stopped at the lights looking round me, I would never have seen him.

Arfur

RMS Regular
Drives
ST170/Passat TDI
I start work between 3-4am, you see some very random and some dodgy stuff in the mornings.. especially the day after paddy’s day, the twelfth or Belfast on a Friday/Saturday morning!

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Been listening to more podcasts lately too and from work and I have noticed I am less annoyed on the roads (you'd be glad to hear @mk2driver :joy:)

Was driving through Short Strand the other morning in Belfast at 0530 - pitch black. Notice to my right someone on an electric scooter. Wearing all black, no lights, no reflective gear, he was of colour himself. If I wasn't stopped at the lights looking round me, I would never have seen him.
Great to hear! In all seriousness I really enjoy podcasts while driving - helps me relax from the chaos of work and home

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
For sure I thought I was going to be sporting a motorbike as a new boot spoiler last night

Coming down the Green road in Conlig I approached the six road ends junction. I saw a bike behind me coming way too fast. His back end started wobbling and I heard the screech but he managed to pull into the middle causing an onoming car to bump the car (poor woman)
Then he just filtered on up as if nothing had happened! 😡

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
The no less than 5 people having rear fog lights on.

The moka deciding to slam from 60 to 20 due to the cops having a car pulled on the hard shoulder.

Then the rain just put the wipers on and drive on everyone slamming brakes on completely forgetting how to drive in the rain.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i

I agree. I went from doing a 40 mile each way commute (about an hour given the traffic and roads involved) to just under 3 miles (5-10 mins depending on traffic) and the difference it makes to mood, etc is unreal. I done the 80 mile round trip for the guts of 12 years.

Like others, on my old commute I was getting annoyed at the slightest thing on the road. The new place also gives me almost an extra 2 hours to do other things, spend time with family, etc.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I agree. I went from doing a 40 mile each way commute (about an hour given the traffic and roads involved) to just under 3 miles (5-10 mins depending on traffic) and the difference it makes to mood, etc is unreal. I done the 80 mile round trip for the guts of 12 years.

Like others, on my old commute I was getting annoyed at the slightest thing on the road. The new place also gives me almost an extra 2 hours to do other things, spend time with family, etc.

I’ve gone full circle. Moved closer to the office so went from 30 to 3 mile commute but it shut last year and I was relocated to a new office 30 miles outside the city ffs.

Luckily I’ve no need to be there other than to get the head showered or change of scenery.

We’re not far from the city centre and the traffic round here has been absolutely mental in the mornings recently. Can’t recall ever seeing it as bad to be honest. Fortunately I’m always walking past so don’t have to deal with it!

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
The no less than 5 people having rear fog lights on.

The moka deciding to slam from 60 to 20 due to the cops having a car pulled on the hard shoulder.

Then the rain just put the wipers on and drive on everyone slamming brakes on completely forgetting how to drive in the rain.

Driving instructor told my daughter to leave twice the distance between the car and vauxhall mokkas than she would normally. No joke.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
People who don’t know how wide their car is. There’s more than enough space to pass each other but the other driver slams on the brakes and stares daggers at you 🤷‍♂️ It’s been happening a lot recently.

I drove behind an a3 the other night and the indicated once out of 8 or 9 times they should have. They kept slipping across the centre white line probably on their phone.