What bike?

Lee

RMS Regular
Recently took a notion to sell the Triumph. I loved it but just fancy a change now after 2 years and the miles were getting up rightly on it. Could have sold it a few times over, maybe it went too cheap!

received_671236896753867.jpeg

Haven't a clue what to replace it with. Need something pillion friendly. One minute I want a nice fresh 2017ish Tracer 900, the next I'm looking at old sport tourer cruise missiles like this:

20200721_125509.jpg

A nice Tracer is £6k + but ideally I'd like to spend a bit less, £4k ish, which led me to the likes of the cbr1100xx. Whatever bike I buy won't be used a lot. Any suggestions?

Reactions: Ben

Slimsbikers

RMS Regular
Drives
S1000xr
Have a look at the BMW K1300s.Fantastic all round machine.Have had a blackbird in the past but the K13 is on another level.Yuo're welcome to have a look at mine if you want. DSC00881.JPG

Lee

RMS Regular
OP
Lee
Have a look at the BMW K1300s.Fantastic all round machine.Have had a blackbird in the past but the K13 is on another level.Yuo're welcome to have a look at mine if you want.View attachment 288195

Nice bike, just had a look at those and seem to be strong enough money for a fresh one with lowish miles. What year is yours and what mileage?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
What sort of riding are you planning?

Friend of mine had a CBR1100XX last year and sold it to buy a 1200 Bandit as he said it was a pig in corners unless he was going hard. He’s not overly tall, but he hasn’t been bullied at the trough, so he had a bit of weight behind him to throw it about, but he said it just wasn’t nice at a ‘Sunday ride out’ pace...

Slimsbikers

RMS Regular
Drives
S1000xr
Nice bike, just had a look at those and seem to be strong enough money for a fresh one with lowish miles. What year is yours and what mileage?
Mine is 2012 and just turned 10k miles.Took a while to find it.

Friend of mine had a CBR1100XX last year and sold it to buy a 1200 Bandit as he said it was a pig in corners unless he was going hard. He’s not overly tall, but he hasn’t been bullied at the trough, so he had a bit of weight behind him to throw it about, but he said it just wasn’t nice at a ‘Sunday ride out’ pace...
Would agree with your friend.Not the best thing in corners at all.

Reactions: Lee

Lee

RMS Regular
OP
Lee

It'll mostly be the odd run out either with the girlfriend on or a run with a few friends.

I put 12k miles on the Triumph in 2 years (first bike), was out loads, sometimes runs with friends, some hard runs, some cruising, more lately some runs with the girlfriend, she managed ok on the back but lets face it, not the best bike for a pillion. I loved the Street Triple and know anything else will feel heavy but I'm willing to try something different. And will only do a fraction of the miles now due to new circumstances.

I don't mind something a bit older if it was immaculate or could be made that way with a good clean up. My criteria is vague but I am open to suggestions
I wouldn't mind something with fairings, one downside to the Triumph was if the weather turned nasty, you really knew about it.

There are plenty of bikes out there in budget, but a lot are boring or slow, I still want some grunt.

Lee

RMS Regular
OP
Lee
Z750/900/1000?

I've been on a couple of Z800s and while they're a nice enough bike on the road, I preferred the stree triple in that category. Looking to get away from the naked bikes if possible. Might have considered a z1000sx but a nice one is more than I'd like to spend I think.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I'll suggest a Tiger 1050. 4K or a wee bit more could get you an early Sport (2013 on). You have a bit more weight than the street triple and taller but still a triple and a bit more grunt. I believe the Sport is also slightly better for pillions than the older model.
Only thing I hate about mine is the screen but that would be easy to sort.

Reactions: Lee