What car for £25k?

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
Another one.....:monkey:

Need something that will happily fit the family in and a pram etc. on long journeys, and is comfy and quick;

I thought I was dead set on a BMW E70 M50d and I'm still very much tempted by them but I just want to step back a second and check I've considered all the options

Also toyed with the idea of a e90 M3 saloon, but although it would be great to drive I don't like pushing any car when I've wee ones in the car and on the longer drives I think an X5 is a nicer place to be

Maybe RS4's but I'm not sure what year would be in that range

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
OP
greyfloppyhat
F10 M5
Rs6 v10
E55 AMG estate

We do a lot of weekend trips to Malahide so spend a lot of time on the motorway, I think the E55 and RS6 would kill me to fuel on those trips

F10 M5 is a good shout, they still look very fresh and comfort seats were an option. What are they like reliability wise?

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
I’ve never really heard anything really bad about them. As long as it has a full history with decent miles I would imagine it’ll be fine.

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
OP
greyfloppyhat
958 Cayenne?
trying to find one with a good spec is a minefield

This is the X5 I'm looking at to give you an idea of what my yard stick is

Because this isn't going to be a daily I want something that feels special to go out in, I'm just hoping this does this

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Didn’t realise that was the budget. I’d definitely be in an F15 X5 before an E70 at that money.

C7 S6 Avant or S7 would also be contenders for something less sensible.

Edit- F10 M5 is indeed a great call.

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
OP
greyfloppyhat
Didn’t realise that was the budget. I’d definitely be in an F15 X5 before an E70 at that money.

C7 S6 Avant or S7 would also be contenders for something less sensible.

Edit- F10 M5 is indeed a great call.

F15's dont seem to a bit thin at that budget with low miles from what I've seen and can't match the spec. Is the e70 that much of a step behind?

S7, didn't think of them

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
£25k is £9k more than you could get a 40d for. Just a lot of £ to put into an E70.

The E70 isn’t that much behind, but as with natural progression the F15 is just that bit nicer inside and more refined. Nowhere near as bad as comparing an E53 to an E70 though!

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
OP
greyfloppyhat
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201903065612086

:neutral:

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
shame they didnt keep the M5 estate into that model.... woudl be superb. \\that saloon for 27K with those miles is great !!

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
RS4 aint that big in the back tho......... M5 is a 'proper' sized car to transport 4+ adults in genuine comfort.

RS6 is lovely size... but think that 'new' model is probably still 40K+ ? i havent looked at them in ages

Reactions: Ben

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
We bought a 14 x5 there 30d mind you. Lovely car and really nice but I wouldn’t call it a special drive tbh.

I’d go as far as saying I prefer my 07 a8.

What about an a8

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
If you want a jeep that feels special you need a full fat Range Rover, maybe a Cayenne also but for a different reason. Range Rover Sport and X5's don't compare.

I own a 2010 Full Fat and the wife has a 2010 sport for the comparison, the Sport isn't in the same league.

It won't feel special in the way a performance car does but it feels utterly luxurious and they have a very unique driving experience, so totally insulated from your surroundings. It absolutely feels special in its own unique way though.

So if frequent long trips, cabin space but most of all sheer comfort is on your agenda, a car or an X5 won't even come close. TDV8 had loads of power too.

Welcome to have a drive in mine and they aren't the unreliable disaster people make them out to be.

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
OP
greyfloppyhat
Is the
Surely X5 diesel does not equal special. In fact, do any of these modern uber barges actually feel “special”?

I’d be looking something older with character and driver engagement that might also retain some element value.

But then I think I’m joining a growing minority, so good luck with your search!
Thats my worry even in the M50d guise I don’t think it would feel that special, I do like them a lot and in terms of doing the family duties it would be well suited.

I have the E36 so old and special is ticked already.

Is it just me that thinks that m50d is a lot of car for the money considering the spec?

If you want a jeep that feels special you need a full fat Range Rover, maybe a Cayenne also but for a different reason. Range Rover Sport and X5's don't compare.

I own a 2010 Full Fat and the wife has a 2010 sport for the comparison, the Sport isn't in the same league.

It won't feel special in the way a performance car does but it feels utterly luxurious and they have a very unique driving experience, so totally insulated from your surroundings. It absolutely feels special in its own unique way though.

So if frequent long trips, cabin space but most of all sheer comfort is on your agenda, a car or an X5 won't even come close. TDV8 had loads of power too.

Welcome to have a drive in mine and they aren't the unreliable disaster people make them out to be.

Would a full fat Range Rover fall into that price range? I think when I say special I’m being a bit ambiguous, the kind of luxurious special is what I mean. The only thing that will tick the performance special for me is a e46 M3, and that’s not really what I need at this moment with the family duties being high on the list

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
OP
greyfloppyhat
Or just buy a 911 and have done!
Not gonna fit much stuff in a 911

This car will be used by me and the missus hence why the jeeps are being considered.

After looking at M5s all evening the F10 seems like a great car for the money just suspect of why they’re the price they are.

Are they just victims of depreciation or are they time bombs