What car for £25k?

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
Not gonna fit much stuff in a 911

This car will be used by me and the missus hence why the jeeps are being considered.

After looking at M5s all evening the F10 seems like a great car for the money just suspect of why they’re the price they are.

Are they just victims of depreciation or are they time bombs

It’s just depreciation. Can’t see a good one dropping much below £20k. Bmw warranty and your flying, I would say an m50 would be just as hard to run but in 5 years the m5 will be worth more. There are loads of f10s for sale so I definitely wouldn’t rush into one.

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
OP
greyfloppyhat
It’s just depreciation. Can’t see a good one dropping much below £20k. Bmw warranty and your flying, I would say an m50 would be just as hard to run but in 5 years the m5 will be worth more. There are loads of f10s for sale so I definitely wouldn’t rush into one.
Thanks Trev, is there anything to look out for on this in terms of spec to buy with and issues

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
Tbh I haven’t looked into them too much, but a customer of ours has had one from almost new and it’s had no problems. He’s not easy on it either. Spec is just down to yourself, but something with 30k miles and a full history would be a good shout. They have been out a good few years now, £70k not that long ago.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Is the

Thats my worry even in the M50d guise I don’t think it would feel that special, I do like them a lot and in terms of doing the family duties it would be well suited.

I have the E36 so old and special is ticked already.

Is it just me that thinks that m50d is a lot of car for the money considering the spec?

Would a full fat Range Rover fall into that price range? I think when I say special I’m being a bit ambiguous, the kind of luxurious special is what I mean. The only thing that will tick the performance special for me is a e46 M3, and that’s not really what I need at this moment with the family duties being high on the list

Yep, you would be into either a really really nice last of the line L322 with all the spec and low low miles (which is what mine is) with plenty of change or an early new model.

PSX_20190421_191659.jpg

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I'd fancy a Maserati Ghibli or a Jaguar XJ, just because they are a bit more individual at a glance, than a BMW and Audi.

Not saying they are any better though, lol.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
i imagien there are so many of those M5s as the lease deals way back when on them were unreal !!! i hate the idea of leases... and have no desire for a new car.... but th edeals going around on those M5s when new were really really good !!

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Don’t eat for a week, and cancel Sky for a while as you’ll be spending all your free time admiring this in your garage/driveway instead of sitting in the house:

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
What is it with these new Rangies everywhere?!!!

Driving from Bangor to Belfast today at 9am I counted 7 of those big L405 things, 1 of the funny sport ones, 2 Discovery Sports and an Evoque! Passing Holywood I could see 3 sets of RR lights in my mirror and the Evoque in front of me. Guess they were all finished the school run and heading on to zumba :joy:

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
i imagien there are so many of those M5s as the lease deals way back when on them were unreal !!! i hate the idea of leases... and have no desire for a new car.... but th edeals going around on those M5s when new were really really good !!

This!

Back in 2014 I could have been in an M5 cheaper than what i was leasing my 330d for. They were stuipid low for a while which I think has flooded the market ever so slightly which is fantastic for the used car market. Its a car on my list to own.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
What is it with these new Rangies everywhere?!!!

Driving from Bangor to Belfast today at 9am I counted 7 of those big L405 things, 1 of the funny sport ones, 2 Discovery Sports and an Evoque! Passing Holywood I could see 3 sets of RR lights in my mirror and the Evoque in front of me. Guess they were all finished the school run and heading on to zumba :joy:

They're a fortune but seem to be everywhere.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Question is with all the range rovers ,how many of the posh or think there posh mummy’s can actually afford one and how many just have them for show .i would say it would surprise you to know the truth .hubby at work while wifey driving about drinking stupid feckin cups of coffee and looking like a tw@t

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
I can never get my head round the Range Rover phenomenon either. People say finance, yes but they’re still nearly 6 figures. Finance is still going to be 2 mortgages. Yes some people do have that level of disposable income but the sheer amount of them?

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
I can never get my head round the Range Rover phenomenon either. People say finance, yes but they’re still nearly 6 figures. Finance is still going to be 2 mortgages. Yes some people do have that level of disposable income but the sheer amount of them?
Don’t have to worry about going over their mileage allowance though as the car will spend most of its time in the dealer.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Question is with all the range rovers ,how many of the posh or think there posh mummy’s can actually afford one and how many just have them for show .i would say it would surprise you to know the truth .hubby at work while wifey driving about drinking stupid feckin cups of coffee and looking like a tw@t

What a stupid thing to say. Regardless if someone walks in an punts down the money upfront or pays something on a lease. If they can afford the payments fuel and insurance then they can afford it.

Also plenty of men are happy to work and provide so that their wives don't have to, or can stay at home and raise children or simply enjoy their lives.

You get one go at life so if you want something and can afford it then go for it. I couldn't afford a new range rover or even to lease one but I certainly don't think ill of those that do, they obviously have worked hard enough in life to put them in a position to do so. This is a car forum, why do people struggle to understand that people want to own a nice car lol

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3
What a stupid thing to say. Regardless if someone walks in an punts down the money upfront or pays something on a lease. If they can afford the payments fuel and insurance then they can afford it.

Also plenty of men are happy to work and provide so that their wives don't have to, or can stay at home and raise children or simply enjoy their lives.

You get one go at life so if you want something and can afford it then go for it. I couldn't afford a new range rover or even to lease one but I certainly don't think ill of those that do, they obviously have worked hard enough in life to put them in a position to do so. This is a car forum, why do people struggle to understand that people want to own a nice car lol
There's a general thriftiness around the country that is so hard to understand to me. I live in Dublin with 2 lads from Tyrone and you want to hear them complaining about the price of things or saying how good their dinner was cos it only cost them a 5er.

I don't get it at all, enjoy yourself a bit when you can imo

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
OP
greyfloppyhat
What about an E70 X5M?
This is what originally let me to the m50D, and I'm still very keen on the idea, both seem that rare that it makes getting one with all the gadgets tricky. If the linked was closer to £20k I could justify it. But with it being so close to the price of a F15 in 30d guise it's putting me off.

I'm very sold on the M5 now after all this and there are plenty to pick from, hopefully get a run in one over the next few days. The OH is still caught up on the idea of 4X4 though and that has got me looking at the likes of the RR that @big_pete suggested as well as the F15's, and tbh I would like to give a 4X4 a go for a while.
Maybe a run in a M5 would show here it can still be as practical as a 4x4 the only benefit of the later being it's higher up.

Those M5's are such a good price it's hard to look past them, and I do feel at home in an M car....

This would be perfect though the high number of owners is odd? Would this put you off?

Quiet, theres an M5 about to be bought here.
:monkey:

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
The owners might put off potential buyers come re sale. But as you say there are plenty to choose from. I don’t think you would need any more room than an f10, they are a big car.