What car for £25k?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
You tell that to the Germans spunking over 100k Euro on an e30....

if you were keeping up with appearances you wouldn’t buy an e90 m3, you’d buy a Range Rover sport......or something similar.....

E30’s weren’t mentioned. My post was initially in response to your claim of E90’s being the best of the bunch.

The second part of my post was nothing to do with E90’s either, hence the new paragraph and referencing the OP’s choice of an E70, but read it how you wish.

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
OP
greyfloppyhat
So spend Saturday morning at a few dealers and got a good look round an M5, F15 X5, A7 and a GLC

And I’m still none the wiser, M5 definitely is niggling away at me the most with the S7 a close second. I feel the M5 is just another league over it but an S7 would be a more useable car, bigger boot and Quattro.

The F15 I did seriously enjoy driving and would be a great main car, but I don’t think it would scratch the itch when I just want to go out and actually 'drive' the thing.

I also have been looking a the CLA amg shooting brake. Quite a cool wee car I think, not in the same league as the S7 and M5 but plenty of performance and I loved the interior in the A class when we had it

I appreciate all the advice so far guys and your providing a great sound board. I’m glad I’ve went away from the E70 M50d idea. Driving the 30d F15, I didn’t feel it needed any more grunt for what it was and the novelty of being high up was more than enough.

The GLC I was very impressed with too and I think is a great looking car, but I imagine would be as dull to drive as our A class was :worried: unfortunately GLC 63 is out of my price range

Last edited:

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
If the get out and drive niggle is an issue what about splitting the budget over two cars? You could be in a decent X5 or Range Rover for half the money and the other half would buy a decent E46 M3 since you've mentioned the draw to them also?

I have that compromise with the Range Rover and the Cayman and it's the most content with a car set up I've been, rather than having one car that's actually compromised as being an all rounder?

zafturbo

RMS Regular
If the get out and drive niggle is an issue what about splitting the budget over two cars? You could be in a decent X5 or Range Rover for half the money and the other half would buy a decent E46 M3 since you've mentioned the draw to them also?

I have that compromise with the Range Rover and the Cayman and it's the most content with a car set up I've been, rather than having one car that's actually compromised as being an all rounder?
That would mean the fella having 3 cars In his drive ,possibly not an issue but then he has 3 insurance,s 3 tax ,3 mot and the running costs associated with them.it could soon add up to be a very expensive option if a couple of things went wrong .

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
OP
greyfloppyhat
I think the OH and myself have decided (she’s allowed me) to scratch the M5 itch and then review what we want a few months down the line.

At which point I think I’d take @big_pete ‘s advice and try pick up a e46 m3 when the good weather tax hasn’t thinned and upped the market

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
OP
greyfloppyhat
It’s between a M5 F10 and the E63, has any one experience of the E63? There’s not many over here and none locally to try out.
I think the M5 is the goer but just want to explore this last option.

I think the M5 would be the drivers car and the merc would be a comfier experience.

Have driven the M5 and loved it. All very well behaved until the road opens up and then woosh. Also didn’t feel as heavy and big as I’d expected, I actually quickly forgot it was a 5 series and not the 3 I was in while blasting over hillhall

Saying that I do think the quicker rack that comes on the competition pack would be worth it and maybe should hold out for one. Though they apparently don’t ride as well in comfort

euge07

RMS Regular
Drives
c220 cdi sport
It’s between a M5 F10 and the E63, has any one experience of the E63? There’s not many over here and none locally to try out.
I think the M5 is the goer but just want to explore this last option.

I think the M5 would be the drivers car and the merc would be a comfier experience.

Have driven the M5 and loved it. All very well behaved until the road opens up and then woosh. Also didn’t feel as heavy and big as I’d expected, I actually quickly forgot it was a 5 series and not the 3 I was in while blasting over hillhall

Saying that I do think the quicker rack that comes on the competition pack would be worth it and maybe should hold out for one. Though they apparently don’t ride as well in comfort
@chris_b I believe had an E63 AMG ?

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
E63 literally all day, every day ! And that’s from a ‘BMW’ Guy.

Honestly best car I’ve ever owned, mine was the 5.5 bi-Turbo facelift and the money they go for, it’s a lot of car

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
OP
greyfloppyhat
E63 literally all day, every day ! And that’s from a ‘BMW’ Guy.

Honestly best car I’ve ever owned, mine was the 5.5 bi-Turbo facelift and the money they go for, it’s a lot of car

I didn't think it would be as clear cut as that. Need to find one to actually get out in one then, I've seen a clinker in England that is perfect on paper but would like to try one out first

Is there a huge gap between the two or marginal? What was the reason for you rating it ahead of the M5? You being a BMW guy makes this useful so thank you for the help!

Last edited:

ShaunB

RMS Regular
@chris_b I believe had an E63 AMG ?
I had a W212 5.5 E63 until a couple of months ago
Fantastic cars, my old W212 never gave a bit of bother in the 2.5 years I had it.
They're a pretty big car though if size is an issue. My driveway isn't the widest, and there's not a lot of room left for me to get out.
Not hard on the pocket either, the old car was serviced by Creevy Autos, a fantastic group of guys, really know their stuff.

Oh, and you'd better be on good terms with your neighbours, as it makes a right old noise on cold start#

Edit: There's a facelifted car for sale in Dungiven if you look on autotrader. Would at least mean you could get a drive in one.

Last edited:

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
OP
greyfloppyhat
I had a W212 5.5 E63 until a couple of months ago
Fantastic cars, my old W212 never gave a bit of bother in the 2.5 years I had it.
They're a pretty big car though if size is an issue. My driveway isn't the widest, and there's not a lot of room left for me to get out.
Not hard on the pocket either, the old car was serviced by Creevy Autos, a fantastic group of guys, really know their stuff.

Oh, and you'd better be on good terms with your neighbours, as it makes a right old noise on cold start#

Edit: There's a facelifted car for sale in Dungiven if you look on autotrader. Would at least mean you could get a drive in one.

Size isn't an issue, but I don't want it to feel big when driving it. The M5 felt no bigger than to drive than a 3 series (admittedly still big in my eyes) and I liked that, does the E63 feel like your driving a big car when you push on?

I seen that, Dungiven is a bit of a trek for me from Tassagh but I think that's the plan.

The interior is the only thing that puts me off, the seats don't suit the car imo

ShaunB

RMS Regular
Size isn't an issue, but I don't want it to feel big when driving it. The M5 felt no bigger than to drive than a 3 series (admittedly still big in my eyes) and I liked that, does the E63 feel like your driving a big car when you push on?
Definitely not.

The interior is the only thing that puts me off, the seats don't suit the car imo
Seats are lovely, very comfortable indeed, is it because they're not big bucket seats that you don't like them?
They hold you in place without any issues.
The interior is a nice place to be in my opinion.

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
OP
greyfloppyhat
Seats are lovely, very comfortable indeed, is it because they're not big bucket seats that you don't like them?
They hold you in place without any issues.
The interior is a nice place to be in my opinion.
Yes I think so, I think the BMW ones look more purposeful but in reality when do you really look at the seats.

I don't think I'm going to answer this question in here, just need to get out and drive the two. I'm heading out in a competition pack M5 this week so will see how that compares and then hopefully head up to Dungiven direction on Saturday.

Completely 50:50 atm

205GTINUT

RMS Regular
Drives
E36 M3 Evo
I’ll be changing our Evoque for a 14/15 X5 before the end of the year. Have looked at a few cars but the 4x4 suits us better.