What causes warped brake discs? (Octavia)

warren

RMS Photographer
OP
warren
Pulled it completely appart today and cleaned/brushed/wire wheeled every surface that does anything, nothing suspicious at all, nothing seized, piston pushes back really easy. Built it all back up again.... But they aren't in a good way. Part of the pad seems to have crumbled and loads of marks on the disc.

What has happened here. Not pleased.

IMG_20201001_162443.jpg

IMG_20201001_163415.jpg

-Pete-

RMS Regular
crap quality pads or maybe going way too hard on the breaks right after fitting them could have just cooked them completely. probably just crap pads though.

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
Looks like excess heat damage to me. Maybe the pad wasn't sitting in the carrier correctly for a while or the sliders have been a bit sticky but looks to me like the outside edge of that disc has been subjected to a lot more heat and wear than the inside edge near the hub face.

When did you fit the pads and discs and do you still have your receipt for them?

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
That's got to be poor pad quality?

The brakes on my car take an absolute hammering, enough that after a blast through the hills you can very definitely smell them and I have never had pads crumble like that? I have used EBC yellow stuff for years though.

warren

RMS Photographer
OP
warren
So.... After pulling them appart and cleaning everything.... They seem almost perfect. I don't really understand what's happened, they literally haven't been touched since since they were installed and just got gradually worse and worse.

For now.... I'll not complain.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I've seen quite a few brand name and competition pads fall apart. Some I had put down to vehicles sitting about over winter and maybe damp/frost playing a part.....but a lot of it is just stuff is ***** these days. And on some cars that wouldn't have seen those conditions.

Hence if you've had problems with all that *****, buy OEM. They are not the same.

warren

RMS Photographer
OP
warren
So yeah they have just got worse and worse again over time. Going to need to change them its driving me nuts :worried:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I put pagid on my friends polo, new disks and pads, bed them in properly. 200 miles later the disks are warped. I thought pagid were decent.

As far as I know Pagid pads are exclusive to ECP in the UK these days and not what they used to be.

I've generally always stuck with mintex and apart from being dusty, never really had any problems.

Don't think I ever put brakes on that car @warren but I'm sure it had new discs and pads at the skoda dealer in England before I bought it about 4/5 years back. For sure the rears were definitely changed, can't remember about the fronts.

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
Pagid are good. I’ve put them on a few cars and have been impressed. I also like the anti rust coating on them.

56oval

RMS Regular
As far as I know Pagid pads are exclusive to ECP in the UK these days and not what they used to be.

I've generally always stuck with mintex and apart from being dusty, never really had any problems.

Don't think I ever put brakes on that car @warren but I'm sure it had new discs and pads at the skoda dealer in England before I bought it about 4/5 years back. For sure the rears were definitely changed, can't remember about the fronts.
This is what I don't get. Aren't mintex and pagid all produced by the same company? TMD friction?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
This is what I don't get. Aren't mintex and pagid all produced by the same company? TMD friction?

Yes along with Textar which is an OEM manufacturer.

Not sure if they use the same factories or formulas or what for all their brands.

I bought febi discs for an A4 a few months ago and they had the rust proof paint on them like the pagid stuff does. Wouldn't surprise me if a handful of factories churn them out for everyone.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

Just because a parent company may be the same, doesn't mean any end product is exactly the same.

Just the same as what people aren't getting about OEM parts. They are not the same as parts from the same manufacturer or appear to be from same manufacturer, which claim OEM parts.

Even the clutches on my old van....they were clearly LUK, but an aftermarket LUK clutch kit was not the same as an OEM Vauxhall clutch kit. Every part had visible differences, so no doubt also design/operation differences, albeit probably very small.

Likewise discs/pads.....when they stopped doing trade deals on parts I changed to a full set of Brembo discs/pads...and they felt very poor compared to the OEM stuff.
Despite Brembo being a proper recognised quality brand.

It's very simple...if you've having issues on a regular daily car with aftermarket parts. Fit new OEM parts. The new car would not have had those same issues.
Clearly many people will have no issues with aftermarket parts....but when you do, it's time to take a more sensible approach than keep throwing more cheap parts at it.

56oval

RMS Regular
Just because a parent company may be the same, doesn't mean any end product is exactly the same.

Just the same as what people aren't getting about OEM parts. They are not the same as parts from the same manufacturer or appear to be from same manufacturer, which claim OEM parts.

Even the clutches on my old van....they were clearly LUK, but an aftermarket LUK clutch kit was not the same as an OEM Vauxhall clutch kit. Every part had visible differences, so no doubt also design/operation differences, albeit probably very small.

Likewise discs/pads.....when they stopped doing trade deals on parts I changed to a full set of Brembo discs/pads...and they felt very poor compared to the OEM stuff.
Despite Brembo being a proper recognised quality brand.

It's very simple...if you've having issues on a regular daily car with aftermarket parts. Fit new OEM parts. The new car would not have had those same issues.
Clearly many people will have no issues with aftermarket parts....but when you do, it's time to take a more sensible approach than keep throwing more cheap parts at it.
Can't argue with that đź‘Ť