What CB radio bands do the lorries all use?

warninglight

RMS Regular
Drives
Mostly Volvo
As title really! I've had CBs fitted to most of my cars for 3 years now, at first a 40ch UK FM Kernow in my classic for convoys to shows etc. but never picked up any lorries this side of the water for getting traffic info etc.

Then got another Kernow, 80ch UK and EU (both FM I think?) and still pick up very little. Considering putting one into the Lolvo now but only if it's gonna be on the same bands as the lorries spotting the speedtraps :grinning:

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Breaker, breaker, for a copy good buddy

I think these new fangled things called mobile phones all but killed the CB

Over

warninglight

RMS Regular
OP
warninglight
Drives
Mostly Volvo
That's not the impression I get when it seems over half the 40 footers on the roads are sporting at least one big springer on the roof ;)

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Breaker, breaker, for a copy good buddy

I think these new fangled things called mobile phones all but killed the CB

Over

You joking? No way CB still as popular as ever. Next time you see the few trucks from the same company just quickly look so see if they are holding the mic in their hand. Most cross channel guys all have them and cant manage without them.

Been a while now but channel 13 is ringing a bell, though im sure some of the resident truckers can confirm. Not great range though so unless you are literally beside them you wont hear plus if they think someone is eavesdropping they wont be to long in changing the channel.

Andy92

RMS Regular
Drives
Subaru
i have a 40 ch fm one on my car and only ever heard my mate talking, and a few church services of some sort .... no idea why.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
You need an AM set, FM is rarely used.
I made the same mistake many many moons ago.

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
As said above, we all use AM cb's. FM sets are ****. Oh and if your buying an AM set, my tip is to buy an old analogue one. Much better than the new digital type crap.

geoffo

RMS Regular
Drives
bmx
i love radio threads, "lorries" are 11meter AM, 26mhz is what you are after, channel 19 being the calling channel, analogue and digital are two different things altogether and FM is indeed not **** but as mentioned already an old rig with a simple 40 channels will do your job, i have quite a few here myself but i work a lot frequencies as radio's are my "thang" lol! i am for my sins a ham and also look like i eat lots of it too.

i have a vhf/uhf set up in the van which is FM and offers far better quality than AM and operates off a series of repeaters around the country that act as a network which extends range thus making it possible to have a bit of craic with more people further afield - altho the boring bit is ya need a wee exam to be able to transmit on those frequencies but once you've it done your sorted. many truckers that i know have a wee ham radio tucked away because of the benefits they offer, they aint that dear plus it isn't impossible to talk to the international space station but i can't see how they'd warn ya if the fuzz are up the road with a hair dryer lol! still, ya gotta love me for trying to push this geeky old hobby.

best 73 de 2i0gfo.

Big Andy

RMS Regular
Drives
Peugeot
I have fitted lots of these in the past few weeks for the boys getting ready to cut the grass in the tractors.

geoffo

RMS Regular
Drives
bmx
Havn't used a radio in years. Must renew the license.

GI0 UZC

wow and i mean wow, plus GI0!!!, after all these years im not alone, must qsy to 145.725 sometime, qso would be great - thanks for posting.

Bigadamski

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I have a Cobra 148gtldx in my lorry, covers the lot! Am fm usb lsb cw. superhi's, hi's, mids, lo's and super lo's. Old but worth the money, like me! lol

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Bump, any updates on what everyone is using?

Took a lend of a CB with FM/AM/USB with Med/High function

Heard a few locals yesterday evening, but more interested in lorrys etc during the day than talking with people sitting in their houses in the evening

Though surprisingly did pick someone up a little this morning in Paris on AM 12 High

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
President lincoln just about covers all, used to talk to guys all over the world on the side bands running home at night in the summer months, range on am is very short when running in opposite directions but great if running in convoy over 2-3 miles apart. Mobile phones never killed cb its in truckers must have items

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
I spent years of my youth on CBs in the early mid 80s. I still have QSL cards from around Europe, America and Brazil being my furthest all on upper or lower side bands when the "skip" was in. lol
I don't know how many radios I went through, but started with a Superstar 120,then a Cobra 148 gtl with the beep and a few base stations, last one was a Ham International Jumbo or a President Madison cant remember which. My ma wasn't happy when I stuck a Sigma 4 on a 10ft gas pole on the chimney and wiped out neighbours radios/TVs with a 200w burner. šŸ¤£
Good times, with a convoy up the coast in the summer.
I think everyone I knew and everyone in school had a CB then.
Edit: Pulsar 800 80 channel with a K40 mag mount was the essential car set up in those days.

Last edited:

zafturbo

RMS Regular
I put the cb on the other day and never heard as much as a peep in 15-16 hours .i was actually wondering if it was broken šŸ˜‚
Itā€™s a handy item on the 75 or that for speed cameras and the law enforcement chaps .

Last edited:

FN2DAVE

RMS Regular
Drives
Seat Leon
I've a little Midland Alan 199 fitted in the truck, had it for years, nothing fancy but does the job.
Very little chat on it if any over here in Ireland
Unless couple of lads are running together, other than that it's quiet.