What classic 4x4 up to £10,000?

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
I’ve taken a half notion for something 4x4 Something classic or oddball to keep a few years, tinker about with and give it an easy life.

If you’d £10,000 to spend on one what would you get?

Im thinking something like a Defender, 90s Range Rover or Japanese from same era but open to all suggestions.

I’ve a feeling most nice ones are probably over budget now though and anything left would be rusty money pits.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Defender for that money would be scrap.

Better looking in the Jap direction.

I saw a very clean Pajero Evo for 12k last week. Was very tempted but it's a little small for what I need.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
80 Series Land Cruiser.

Nothing else compares as far as reliability, towing capabilities, off roading ability with their 3 diff locks etc goes...

Wouldn’t have a 90’s Land Rover unless you’re willing to keep on top of a lot of welding repairs and fond of loading up the parts cannon to keep it alive.

Bryan

RMS Regular
1616943232344.png

If I had the money I would be buying one of these Land Cruisers.

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Land Cruisers would definitely be top of my list to be honest, but thought I’d have long missed the boat on them.

My dad has had Shoguns since the mid 80s so I’ve a soft spot for the early ones too although I’d have thought the Evos would be out of budget as well.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I'd opt for a Patrol.

Or a 4.0 XJ Cherokee. I've had a load of these over the years and they always impressed.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I'd opt for a Patrol.

Or a 4.0 XJ Cherokee. I've had a load of these over the years and they always impressed.

Cherokee’s are tiny though. Even compared to a Surf, which is far from a big 4x4, the Cherokee’s have absolute no room in them.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Cherokee’s are tiny though. Even compared to a Surf, which is far from a big 4x4, the Cherokee’s have absolute no room in them.

Aye they're not huge which is not a disadvantage either. Very high towing capacity for all their size too.

hannakournikova

RMS Regular

karl7900

RMS Regular
Drives
Touareg 3.2 V6
Are you planning to off road in it or waft? 10K would easily get you into a 1st or 2nd gen Touareg and they are capable of both in spades.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I'd opt for a Patrol.

Class, my cousins had a SWB 3.0 Patrol on their farm in 1985ish when myself and my brother spent two weeks re-shelling a Marina Coupe in one of their sheds away from the home place. We stayed in a tent and worked from dawn till dusk every day and were completely frigged after a week or so and couldn't be woken one morning so they reversed the patrol so the tailpipe was pointing in the tent door. Woken up with PTSD, how we laughed.

glynnnova

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 GTST, S2000

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
All these things have gone nuts. Cherokee's at over 10k and scrap 60 series the same. I have a lovely one owner 2000 3.5 V6 SWB Trooper with 36k at the moment, just getting tidied.

Sold an amazing 1997 Patrol 4.2 Petrol last year with 33k for 12 grand. So much better value that equivalent Land Rover, but not half as easy to get parts for. Regret not keeping it now but can't keep them all!

Attachments

• IMG_1140.JPG
    IMG_1140.JPG
    386.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1142.JPG
    IMG_1142.JPG
    405 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1144.JPG
    IMG_1144.JPG
    379.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1170.JPG
    IMG_1170.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

redxl77

RMS Regular
Needs to be a canvas defender imo. Or else you're just wafting around in a giant stinky rusty box. :p