What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Gemma

RMS Regular
@Coog guys sending their oil of for samples and coming back fine but then suffering failure so they are now saying it's not 100% reliable

Gemma

RMS Regular
@CharlySkunkWeed in the grand scheme of things, it's not that expensive compared to what a new/2nd hand engine costs lol I don't know the cars history as in what way she's been treated so it's peace of mind at least for me anyway

Gemma

RMS Regular
@Lyons I need to sit down and actually see what the parts costs me as I had a battery, thermostat and wheel speed sensor all at the same time lol

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
@Coog guys sending their oil of for samples and coming back fine but then suffering failure so they are now saying it's not 100% reliable

Flip yeah then definitely worth doing if it'll cost more in the long run. Assuming you'd need a crank. If it's not going to cost any more then I'd maybe hold fire personally.

I hate having the worry of something going wrong, there's a few big ticket items on the Cayenne that are pretty common but at the same time no-one comes online to say that their car is perfect either.

I set aside a few grand for worst case scenario after reading the forums and getting 'the fear'. So far all I've had to do was an A/C compressor which was actually fine and was misdiagnosed, and a normal service which wasn't needed either but doing a oil change every 20k doesn't sound too smart to me.

Gemma

RMS Regular
Yea the guys who's engine went bang at 26k his crank was damaged and going from posts on m3cutters, once the crank is damaged, it's pretty much unsalvageable.
Guys in England are offering this service from £900 to £1400 set prices.
Imo thats not THAT bad

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Guy came to look at the 740 yesterday and was put off by weeping rocker cover gaskets. Gutted. So that’s going over to England for this 728 out the window.. or is it? That would be car no. 5. How many cars is too many?
It’s not like they are big money. Just trying to justify the whole thing in my head..
View attachment 242086
This is a stunning colour .love it .

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
This is a stunning colour .love it .
Yeh it’s amazing
Pity it’s got so many miles
DFF2E49A-2E80-422B-87E0-012D012E32C6.jpeg

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
So, the horror stories of the rod bearings on the e92 m3s have gotten the better of me.
Only this past week a guy with a 1 owner car, 2013 motor, 26k miles, rod bearings went.
Not taking my chances and have her booked in with Ricks garage as soon as I get home from holidays!

Been gathering all the bits and bobs which consist off
10litres of oil and oil filter
BMW Engine mounts(nuts and bolts that go with it)
BMW Sump gasket and bolts
BMW Thermostat (mines is playing about)
ACL race bearings
ARP bolts
View attachment 247186

As soon as Rick rips mine out, I'll get a picture up of what they look like.
This is a guys at 70k miles

View attachment 247191

For me it's a cheaper preventive lol

Oooo and a new BMW battery so out with the old and in with the new.
View attachment 247195

Two 4L and two 1L??? Surely three 4L would've been a similar price? 😂 And then you'd have 2L left for the next service or top ups if required...

Definitely. I wish I'd have done my car before it went (ringlands failure).
It's strange getting an engine rebuilt AFTER it's failed. Even though I've been assured mine is "bullet proof" now , i still get a horrible feeling when i feel a stumble or see a wee puff of smoke as i experienced the failure.
But its pretty ballsy to spend the cash when there's nothing wrong. I always said "awk if it blows i have money set aside" but it messes with your head after the experience.

A few years back I was looking at hatch Sti's and went to Murray Motorsport to get a price on half closed deck and forging the engine, I added that price to the cost of the cars I was looking at and thought if I bought one I'd send it straight down to him, it made the cheaper ones more appealing especially considering I'd know for a fact what the inside of the engine had in it...

Too many advertised as closed deck fully forged etc when you don't know without opening it up for yourself.

I imagine the cost to pre empt the engine build Vs rebuild post failure was a fair bit different?

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Two 4L and two 1L??? Surely three 4L would've been a similar price? 😂 And then you'd have 2L left for the next service or top ups if required...

A few years back I was looking at hatch Sti's and went to Murray Motorsport to get a price on half closed deck and forging the engine, I added that price to the cost of the cars I was looking at and thought if I bought one I'd send it straight down to him, it made the cheaper ones more appealing especially considering I'd know for a fact what the inside of the engine had in it...

Too many advertised as closed deck fully forged etc when you don't know without opening it up for yourself.

I imagine the cost to pre empt the engine build Vs rebuild post failure was a fair bit different?
Aye by a grand or two. My problem with selling at the min (To anyone in England anyway) is that people are buying the cheap ones and dropping forged pistons in and selling them as forged STIs cheap as chips. You'd just never know what work was done to them.
I know (And so will Gemma) that the car is done right for my peace of mind. Trying to get its worth come selling time isn't easy just.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Aye by a grand or two. My problem with selling at the min (To anyone in England anyway) is that people are buying the cheap ones and dropping forged pistons in and selling them as forged STIs cheap as chips. You'd just never know what work was done to them.
I know (And so will Gemma) that the car is done right for my peace of mind. Trying to get its worth come selling time isn't easy just.

Can't see the point in opening up a block to only replace one part, if they are as tunable as a Subaru then fully closed or half closed plus all the bells and whistles is absolutely the way to go

I can imagine it'll be a headache to shift, but as I've said before, just from looking through the thread it is an incredible example!!

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
Cleaned the car, drove to Newry and near got wrote off twice. Then a girl decided to jump out off a parked car to run straight in front of me.....that city pedestrian stop feature was great.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Cleaned the car, drove to Newry and near got wrote off twice. Then a girl decided to jump out off a parked car to run straight in front of me.....that city pedestrian stop feature was great.

Newry is a wild place for bad driving 😑

redanni

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 R / MK2 RS
]Reminded myself today why I didn’t sell this to buy an M4.
Great drive round the coast and then up through the mountains. Drove on some of the bumpiest roads in the land but what a day, just awesome
Apologies for all the pics
290F5C27-9C34-48D1-829E-1828379D8CA0.jpeg

2A30ED79-98A9-4E46-AA0A-5A75CB86B059.jpeg

461D204A-4EC5-4205-A6C4-99E2CAC79B1C.jpeg

0221553A-5B5E-4E49-B357-52C089ED0875.jpeg

72D7CE7F-C0D3-4DE0-B40A-A7E6AFA675F5.jpeg

022AF106-4A2B-4BBD-AE9F-B45534A67A9E.jpeg

E25130FF-266D-41FB-BD2E-222F972EFB20.jpeg

643E2CAB-696C-4D48-A05C-3D09FE47EE84.jpeg

00C4A394-F1D8-465F-B34D-FBB6B97AEA39.jpeg

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Dealt with this mess, was really quite embarrassing and wifey had enough of it lol

View attachment 247401
View attachment 247402
View attachment 247403
View attachment 247404

View attachment 247406
The colour of your R is stunning...even better when it’s clean :joy:. Don’t recall ever seeing another in the same colour.

I saw one up close the other day, and thought it was a fantastic colour, photos don't do it justice. @redanni yours is immaculate.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Last edited:

redanni

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 R / MK2 RS
Give me 5 mins and I'll show you what dirty is 😝

Also what did the wife have enough of? You giving off about how dirty it is, or is she a speck of dirt is filthy head like yourself? Lmao
Hides the dirt well 😒 lmaoView attachment 248221View attachment 248222
You should of met up with me today, show me what a real car goes like:p

She was giving off about the dirt of the car yes, she basically drives it 90% of the time, I'd of gladly left it another week or 2