What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Jaystar77

RMS Regular
East County Down, Loaded up and Truckin'...
Drives
Starlet GT Turbo
Another weekend, another wheel arch..

Removed the old Tein NA 'Titanic spec' coilovers.

20200625_134847.jpg

20200625_134857.jpg

Not good news from Tein UK :
Screenshot_20200624-121406_Gmail.jpg

Had to rely on the stockpile to provide something to do in the meantime:

20200624_123015.jpg

Wasn't happy with the rusty brake line so :

20200626_161337.jpg

Whoever it was on here that mentioned the cable tie trick is this week's hero - so much easier to get the bends to (kinda) match the original:

20200627_140407.jpg

And done. Until I tackle the rear arches.

20200627_143502.jpg

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything

View attachment 285013

View attachment 285014

Not good news from Tein UK :View attachment 285021

View attachment 285023

View attachment 285016

Whoever it was on here that mentioned the cable tie trick is this week's hero - so much easier to get the bends to (kinda) match the original:

View attachment 285017

View attachment 285018

That's quite the price from Tein, not sure how old mine are but maybe will just clean them up myself now lol

Jaystar77

RMS Regular
Drives
Starlet GT Turbo
Yeah, Used to be just over a grand for Cusco/Tein and the like with the newer brands sitting around £550 ish.

Should still be able to land a new set of Blitz for just over a grand but the budget options have crept up to £800 over the years. It may roll around on the shock/spring setup until I talk myself into yet another silly purchase :laughing:

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Pretty sure i found a new top mount in dad's from when I lived there for an insignia when I had one.

Yours if you want it. @roverspeed
Thanks for the thought, the fronts are all done cheers. Unless it's a rear one? :-D

View attachment 285013

View attachment 285014

Not good news from Tein UK :View attachment 285021

View attachment 285023

View attachment 285016

View attachment 285017

View attachment 285018
@Dee

Brake lines were always a firm favourite with the techs in Toyota.

Is it strange I've never had a car that's needed brake lines replaced? Have I just been lucky maybe

Jaystar77

RMS Regular
Drives
Starlet GT Turbo
You just haven't driven enough old Toyotas lol.

TBH the car is 30 years old and seems to have sat in a salt lake in Japan. Was horrendous with rust even when it landed here. These lines were actually solid but there was surface pitting and someone had rounded the nuts. I've to recommission my auto next years so going to make another set whilst I'm in the mood!

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
You just haven't driven enough old Toyotas lol.

TBH the car is 30 years old and seems to have sat in a salt lake in Japan. Was horrendous with rust even when it landed here. These lines were actually solid but there was surface pitting and someone had rounded the nuts. I've to recommission my auto next years so going to make another set whilst I'm in the mood!

We used to have a fair few when I worked at Toyota, I guess maybe living by the coast etc wouldnt help matters. Wee Doris would be giving us stick why she needs them doing on her 15 year old starlet with 9000 miles on the odo.

I'm fixing up my mx5 that's 29 years old, JDM and imported in 2006 and it's brake lines are perfect. Serious amount of surface rust on all the wishbones subframes etc though.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Yeah the sea air here kills stuff - even the tyres rust lol

You should see what the place did to my mum's RX8 8o|
I don't know if you recall, I bought a MK2 Golf of you many many years ago, I remember your house was pretty much in the sea 🙃

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I got a big surprise when water started emptying into the passenger side footwell. It continued to flood into the car every time I accelerated or cornered. Properly running into the car like a tap being turned on. Mostly coming through the aircon motor cover. I removed this and got a few towels to soak up the loose water.

merc-leak-02.jpg

I was hoping it was going to be something simple and after a quick search online, it turned out it was. There is a reservoir below the window that collects water and diverts it to a hole in the passenger wing. When I removed the rubber cover on the reservoir, the outlet was blocked. I just poked it and the crap flew out along with trapped water. I tested by running a hose over the window, and the water was flowing properly out of the outlet. Now I have the dehumidifer running full power to dry out the car.

merc-leak-01.jpg

Boksic

RMS Regular
Bought it yesterday, cleaned it today with Mr muscle oven cleaner, and fairy liquid 👍🏼
Very "car enthusiast", I know!
Rough enough, but will serve its purpose.

View attachment 268214

As an update to this, it broke it's timing belt on Saturday evening on my way home, big lump of sheite..

If anybody has a cheap early d5 engine about them I want it? Or whole car may be easier?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Both cars washed over the weekend - been a long time since they were both sitting in the driveway clean, then she drives through a mud puddle :worried:

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Both cars washed over the weekend - been a long time since they were both sitting in the driveway clean, then she drives through a mud puddle :worried:

Every time I went out to wash mine it started to rain, give up after the 4th attempt.

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
Every time I went out to wash mine it started to rain, give up after the 4th attempt.

I ended up washing mine in the rain and bringing it into the garage to dry it off! lol Turned out to be a waste of time anyway because it rained every 20 mins on the Wicklow run yesterday.