Drives
VW Golfs
Bought a new one
1A5943B2-834B-4723-A1B7-C2E3155A5290.jpeg

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Found this post after a quick search for C4. Can you remember how this stuff held up? Looking to get some for my own Trafic, but it's very mixed reviews considering the cost. I don't mind if it's as good as it says, but some reviewers state that it leaves permanent streaks

just make sure to properly prep it with panel wipe first. Anyone that finds it off isn’t using it properly or their trims have a chemical stain that require replacement

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
Well that's one side done.

View attachment 309335

Feels like I'll have to tackle the handbrake on mine as well - replacing those cables looks like proper entertainment indeed!

It’s not too bad, I unbolted the fuel tank and dropped it slightly on the jack and that gave me enough room to get the cables out/in. What brake hoses did you go for?

Nothing has upset me more than the handling of fitting an alternator. It just looked needlessly simple, just unbolt and slip down and out but no.

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
First day of 5 series ownership has been ok. £165 for a years tax. All sorted at the post office.

However I got back to work and went to fit wipers to the front and as I fitted the passenger side the arm came away from the mechanism!
Thankfully I was about to get one of our mech’s to ‘temporarily’ repair it with. Good as new. Think I’m going to start a members thread to keep a list of fixes!

Jaystar77

RMS Regular
East County Down, Loaded up and Truckin'...
Drives
Starlet GT Turbo
It’s not too bad, I unbolted the fuel tank and dropped it slightly on the jack and that gave me enough room to get the cables out/in. What brake hoses did you go for?

Nothing has upset me more than the handling of fitting an alternator. It just looked needlessly simple, just unbolt and slip down and out but no.
Yeah, it looked like the tank would have to shift, looking forward to it :laughing:

Picked up a set of WG lines off ebay - seller seemed to offer HEL ones as well so figured it was a safe bet. I've only fitted the one so far but it looks spot on quality wise. Time will tell of course!

Can remember replacing the alternator on my mk2 and it was pretty awkward too. Had to rotate the thing past the driveshaft with only a few mm to spare.

colin84

RMS Regular
First day of 5 series ownership has been ok. £165 for a years tax. All sorted at the post office.

However I got back to work and went to fit wipers to the front and as I fitted the passenger side the arm came away from the mechanism!
Thankfully I was about to get one of our mech’s to ‘temporarily’ repair it with. Good as new. Think I’m going to start a members thread to keep a list of fixes!

It's a common problem with the LCI 5 series, how did they repair it?

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
He drilled a hole through the sheared bolt and put a smaller bolt and nut through it. Sounds crude but it works and there’s a plastic cover so you wouldn’t know. Just two nuts hold that arm on so it came off handy enough

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Good quality wipers is nothing to joke about...... :joy:
Did my rear wiper a few weeks ago now, still have to fit the new ones to the front (all Bosch stuff too), motivation is low at the moment.
Any time I bought cheap ones there were crap and never lasted long. I’ll have to go out and give them a wee test swipe I haven’t tried them yet 😂

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Traced the water leak in the xc90 to a leaky seal in the thermostat housing. The metal/ rubber gasket had failed. Cleaned off the old rubber and sealed it up with some gasket sealant recommended by @Woodcutter and it seems to have done the job.

The seal doesn't seem to be available without buying the entire thermo housing.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Nothing too major to report - Changed the rear passenger door lock on the mk4 as it began to deadlock and then took to a small job on the focus, changing the centre caps for silver, and then new wheel nuts.

I had fitted a Mountune Air filter a few weeks back but hadnt moved it since, so took it a quick spin, and loved the louder turbo flutters :heart_eyes:

Before
57E360BC-6285-4A72-84F8-798EA6FD10EE.jpeg

After:
8091B2A9-6155-40EC-B787-B945CB7ECE60.jpeg