What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
if you are the first to lift the bonnet that means nobody has checked the oil and water since October. if something had happened to the engine that would be their get-out clause.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Swapped out the Ferodo DS2500 pads I put in for my previous trip to the Nurburgring and put in a set of Brembo's for everyday driving. Took the opportunity to paint the calipers properly (as far as Hammerite goes) as I do like the look of the yellow against the car. Wiped the brakes lines and shocks down quickly too.

Fired a load of purge over the calipers initially the washed down to help painting. Will do the arches another time with other jobs I have lined up.

IMG_20200408_111232~2.jpg

IMG_20200407_170812.jpg

IMG_20200409_120827~2.jpg

First time I've ever changed a set of pads on my own, usually just watch or help. Feel like I earned a man card :joy:

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I've washed my car more times than I've driven it in the last week. It is nice and shiny lol.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Swapped out the Ferodo DS2500 pads I put in for my previous trip to the Nurburgring and put in a set of Brembo's for everyday driving. Took the opportunity to paint the calipers properly (as far as Hammerite goes) as I do like the look of the yellow against the car. Wiped the brakes lines and shocks down quickly too.

Fired a load of purge over the calipers initially the washed down to help painting. Will do the arches another time with other jobs I have lined up.

View attachment 272973
View attachment 272974
View attachment 272975

First time I've ever changed a set of pads on my own, usually just watch or help. Feel like I earned a man card :joy:

why’d you want the ds2500’s out?

I have brembo pads on the rear of the Mazda and find them bad for leaving deposits on the wheels that only purge can remove even in just a week

Boksic

RMS Regular
why’d you want the ds2500’s out?

I have brembo pads on the rear of the Mazda and find them bad for leaving deposits on the wheels that only purge can remove even in just a week

Washing speedlines is satisfying though, they're so pretty 👍🏼

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
@Cossers Thanks dude. It's a bit of cheap fun.

Have an email away to Royal to see about getting the steering wheel re-trimmed, and a giant pile of bits to get round to putting on it, then she'll be ready for her pan-European road trip in June... oh wait 😭😭

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Washing speedlines is satisfying though, they're so pretty 👍🏼
If only they were as clean as the pictures make them out to be 😂

I give it a wash today while we are in this thread.

E23DA998-D4AE-42C9-9211-3C7EFED0DB47.jpeg
B375140B-2D82-4328-A358-7158F173E83A.jpeg
BC893172-6BD9-4A7F-815D-0C8FBF58EE79.jpeg
6BEB356A-3A9C-4ADF-A735-3208E2D6EB3D.jpeg

Too expensive and good a pad to use going to from work/shops vast majority of the time. Total overkill.
Fair enough, was mainly wondering if there was an issue with them just.

Jaystar77

RMS Regular
East County Down, Loaded up and Truckin'...
Drives
Starlet GT Turbo
Like most peeps on here today I played with my shaft..

20200409_164957.jpg

Was dreading the work involved in putting fresh boots and joints on these but they cleaned up just fine. Not bad for 30 years old original components!

Over the last week or so I've managed to cover a lot of ground elsewhere on the fleet. Experimented with rust dissolving solutions, replaced quite a lot of odds and ends and even had a stab at making my own poly bushes. Figure if I keep myself busy the time will fly in :mask:

gerryp

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche 997
@Cossers Thanks dude. It's a bit of cheap fun.

Have an email away to Royal to see about getting the steering wheel re-trimmed, and a giant pile of bits to get round to putting on it, then she'll be ready for her pan-European road trip in June... oh wait 😭😭

Are you looking at keeping the wheel original?
I am going to get the wheel on my 997 redone as well as the gear knob and I might check out Arek in ballymena.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
@gerryp Yes keeping original, though it will be fattened a touch. May go for perforated side panels but not sure if possible in that colour. I don’t think Royal have a perforating machine. But the company I know with the perforator can’t source the red leasther!

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
@gerryp Yes keeping original, though it will be fattened a touch. May go for perforated side panels but not sure if possible in that colour. I don’t think Royal have a perforating machine. But the company I know with the perforator can’t source the red leasther!
Maybe im just not picking this up right but is it just normal perforated leather on a door panel or some fancy version thats different from the norm? Royal do perforated leather if its the normal stuff that you need? Albeit red.

Nutts

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi R8
Replacing the cam cover gasket in the old man's MX5. Spotted some oil in two of the spark plug wells last year when I replaced the plugs. Gasket appears in good condition though, no sign of any damage or embrittlement.
20200410_172154.jpg

20200410_172306.jpg

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Putting the vanos and rocker back I noticed that cylinders 5 & 6 look starved of oil compared to 1-4

Anyone any idea if this is a normal trait on the i6s?

Figured it might be because of the slope of the engine but not sure 🤷‍♂️
20200410_215721.jpg

thefool1983

RMS Regular
Putting the vanos and rocker back I noticed that cylinders 5 & 6 look starved of oil compared to 1-4

Anyone any idea if this is a normal trait on the i6s?

Figured it might be because of the slope of the engine but not sure 🤷‍♂️View attachment 273182
How does the oil get delivered? Cant tell from that pic.
Are there spray bars?
Doesnt look like there's any wear in the lobes so I'd not be too concerned?

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
How does the oil get delivered? Cant tell from that pic.
Are there spray bars?
Doesnt look like there's any wear in the lobes so I'd not be too concerned?

There's no signs of it internally but the first 4 look to be stained with oil compared with 5-6 which are oil free as such

Never noticed an issue though so maybe I'm just being pedantic

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Absolutely beautiful...

one of my dream cars. If my 6 numbers ever came up it’d be one of my first purchases
And looking at all these photos of you guys changing heads, vanos units, driveshafts etc. is making me question myself!

i though I done well changing the rear door cards on the M3 yesterday without breaking any clips.

front doorcards hopefully will be done today without undoing the good work by black line when they fitted my speakers etc.