What did you do to your motorcycle today?

warren

RMS Photographer
depends how old it is. Sprockets do wear, and the teeth can hook as the chain stretches over its lifespan. It might look ok to the naked eye but if you put a new sprocket behind it you might find its very different!

I would generally always get both replaced. They don't add a lot to the bill usually!

Also if you do reasonable miles on the bike get a Scottoiler. Those things are worth their weight in gold for keeping chains in good nick.

warren

RMS Photographer
Not my picture but shows it better than I can describe it!

IMG_2741.jpg

Chris666

RMS Regular
OP
Chris666
Drives
Often
Spoilt it! front caliper rebuild kit en route so while on wemoto buying a chain/sprocket kit I ordered the rear rebuild kit and air/oil filter due replacing at next service.

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
Wurth dry chain lube is a good buy. Works really well with no fling and prevents all the road crap sticking to the chain.
Another tip is lube the chain from the bottom (below the swingarm) it drives it into the O rings when spinning instead of out. So many lube the top.

warren

RMS Photographer
Spoilt it! front caliper rebuild kit en route so while on wemoto buying a chain/sprocket kit I ordered the rear rebuild kit and air/oil filter due replacing at next service.

I had to do the front caliper seals on my SV 3 times over the space of 40k miles (1 caliper once, other twice), seems like a fairly common issue. Pistons were absolutely caked each time. A little G clamp is fantastic for it too.

Chris666

RMS Regular
OP
Chris666
Drives
Often
Ouch! I had to unseize the sliders/boots a few months back, salted solid so only 1 pad was touching the disc. Took some mighty swearing and a fair size of hammer 8o|

Bikes had a hard commuting life before I got it, so all the service interval jobs are getting done now. K6 bike had factory rubber brake lines +o( now race setup braided

warren

RMS Photographer
Yeah I managed to avoid any issues with the sliders but I had them apart and re-greased every time the bike got serviced. Seems to be a terribly designed thing. The SVs can take it if you keep on top of it. Mine did 40k miles over 5 years all year round while I was a student and too poor to own a car lol. Dad still has the bike now, thing is still 100%. Fantastic bikes.

Chris666

RMS Regular
OP
Chris666
Drives
Often
Work in progress, It's getting better with every job done.. Valve clearances have never seen a feeler gauge, and won't until it gives me a reason to look :grinning: Might take a stagger some day just to satisfy myself.

Robbo777

RMS Regular
Drives
All Sorts
Great thread so far !

I usually work on cars and was looking for another car build for over the winter but I really fancied a slightly different project so I bought this wee CBR600RR a few months ago, it’s a 2009 splash Edition with low miles and is in very good condition. I wouldn’t be a big fan of blue wheels on a motorbike but I think with the colour scheme and graphics it all blends in ok.

When I first got it I give the complete bike a full clean, polish and Wax.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Chris666

RMS Regular
OP
Chris666
Drives
Often
We discussed that when it was on gumtree. Lovely lovely bike sir :heart:

warren

RMS Photographer
@Robbo777 Looks fantastic, great colour scheme on it!

What do you think of those squishy floor tiles? Was eyeing them up in B&Q a few weeks ago

Robbo777

RMS Regular
Drives
All Sorts

What do you think of those squishy floor tiles? Was eyeing them up in B&Q a few weeks ago

They are good for working on, kneeling etc and tidied the garage up, I have a car permanently stored in the garage and I’ve noticed it has put 4 pressure dents under each tyre on the tiles but they are soft tiles so that is to be expected.
I bought plenty of extra tiles so the dents aren’t an issue long term, your welcome to come and have a look I’m in the Jordanstown area.

yvo6

RMS Regular

I have those down too and they are good for the price. There's only bikes on them. The only issue is when using a paddock stand, the front one tends to push the tile back with the weight. Other than that they are spot on. Nice and warm to work on.

Chris666

RMS Regular
OP
Chris666
Drives
Often
I'm buying new calipers next time, have also taught myself and perhaps invented some new swear words.

Salty dust seals that came out with the pistons on one caliper, the other took me over an hour of wriggling to finally break free (my hands are red raw!)

Kyh1l7Dl.jpg

Loads of grime,I ended up cleaning the calipers with brake fluid

CEWRRsVl.jpg

Pads aren't far off new so straight back in, just to bolt on and bleed once I get some fresher fluid

tBJJmOrl.jpg

Rear caliper to do + chain and sprockets after I contemplate just wtf I'm doing wrong in life

warren

RMS Photographer
@Polobrat666 I must say I never had an issue getting the pistons out, pumped them out with the brake lever and used the g-clamp to hold one back if it was coming out faster than the other until they were right at the ends and they practically fell out themselves!

I spent a good while cleaning the Tracer today as it’s been the workhorse for commuting this week. Have my car back now so it can be put away again :laughing:

2162855D-F36D-4D81-8CA2-E5185E578CC6.jpeg

Chris666

RMS Regular
OP
Chris666
Drives
Often
Wouldnt even do that, literally seized solid until I started to get the piston turning and bullied it out