What did you do to your motorcycle today?

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
@Gareth you see the new ones that oxford are offering?

Yeah, they look really good and I like that the controls are on the grip. Only downside is the price, at £200 I'd just got with factory fit Ducati ones, I think they're about £250 and plug into the factory loom instead of finding a switch live to get the feed from.

R&G ones are probably the cheapest on the market at £45 and these are the 3rd set I've bought and they've been dead on for me.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
@Gareth was your bike down newcastle on sunday morning?

Yep, it was indeed.

20230326_130227(0).jpg

Few treats this week too. New boots, polished and ceramic coated the wheels, 5ltr Shad tank bag (mounts to the fuel cap, not the paint) and a visor bag.

Pay day on Friday so gonna see about ordering up a new touring suit. Looking at the RST Commander top and bottoms.

20230327_181502.jpg

20230329_184456.jpg
20230329_190026.jpg

Scuba Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
S3/V4S/X5/R
@Gareth i had stopped on mine for a quick drink before heading on and saw it but wasnt sure if it was or not! the Reg isnt far off my old monster cause when i seen it - was wondering if it was my old one lol!

got my bike treated to this yesterday! outstanding job and not bad money!

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Years test on the Yam yesterday and oil/filter and spark plugs changed today ready for the season. One of the worst bikes I’ve had to do plugs on (have yet to tackle a V4), with all the plastic around the tank to remove and the fact the engine is cantered forward so you’re working under the headstock with universal joints and so on with not a lot of room.
And yes, the slash cut shorty pipe sounds as good as you imagine 💪
IMG_5719.jpeg

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
10 years of ownership for the MSX. Still love taking it out more than any other bike.

View attachment 399169
How has she faired up quality wise? Certainly after a couple of years the Monkey I had was starting to show a bit of deterioration. First time I removed the rear wheel I had to beat the spindle out with a 4lb hammer as it was seized solid. Definitely noticed a difference between Jap and Thai quality.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I was considering getting a bigger cc twist and go for flying into work on but one of those wee msx would be a hoot. Just worried the lack of weather protection would get a bit tiresome before long.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
How has she faired up quality wise? Certainly after a couple of years the Monkey I had was starting to show a bit of deterioration. First time I removed the rear wheel I had to beat the spindle out with a 4lb hammer as it was seized solid. Definitely noticed a difference between Jap and Thai quality.

There's not much over 4000 miles on it and I'd do a strip and service usually each year so I've been happy with it. This year I'll probably do the wheel bearings and brake fluid on top of its annual service. Only real noticeable wear is the pain on the motor, but that started to flake off a long time ago. I'm considering dropping out ans repainting the motor over the winter too l. Will give me something to do LOL

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Love the Repsol colours!
Seriously thinking of a MSX or a monkey bike, they seen like they'd be great craic!
Do it. They are good fun and hold their money. I would still have my monkey but a house purchase a couple of years ago put an end to it unfortunately.
One thing to watch out for (may have changed now) is that I struggled to get insurance on the Monkey when it was first released in 2018 as a lot of insurers don’t touch monkey bikes….although it’s not technically a monkey bike 🥴
IMG_6585.jpeg

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Love the Repsol colours!
Seriously thinking of a MSX or a monkey bike, they seen like they'd be great craic!
I had a new MSX about 7 years ago, was class craic for a year or so, and a really handy commuter into Belfast. I ended up selling it because:
1.) I was offered more than what I paid for it new
2.) It did get a bit boring after a while. Great craic to throw around wee windey backroads, but the top speed of about 65mph gets a bit dull after a while. I'm not a biker either, I know I'd be killed or seriously injured on a big bike!

It used to do about 200 miles to a 5er of petrol too, that was nice :joy:

domo gti

RMS Regular
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
@mikey Im definitely swaying towards the monkey as i love the retro styling.
I was thinking of changing my 600RR to a Fireblade but i still absolutely love it so im thinking of adding a Monkey bike alongside it would be a nice combination!

@Father Stack id only ever use it for the shorter type runs which by the sounds of it a small bike could be a good laugh & as you say they do seem to hold their money very well.

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
i commuted on my msx, painted surfaces didn’t hold up well Tbh.
same as Gaz, got an offer I couldn’t refuse. Miss it at times, but not £2500 miss it

Igxom

RMS Regular
How did you find the fit and finish on the Black Widow stuff? I was tempted to get some headers for my own bike but have heard some mixed reviews about the quality of them.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
How did you find the fit and finish on the Black Widow stuff? I was tempted to get some headers for my own bike but have heard some mixed reviews about the quality of them.

I fitted an Akra system to a friend's Busa a few weeks ago too and it's certainly not of a similar quality, but it's also a fraction of the price. The Black Widdow system (no end can) was under £300, but what did impress me was that the price included exhaust gaskets and a spring puller, the Akra system had neither and was about £2k worth of syatem (incl end can)

My own personal choice wouldn't let me buy a Black Widow system as I'm a brand whore but fit and finish is very good. The welds aren't as tidy as other top brands are, but if I was on a budget I'd buy it.