What diesel 4x4 ~3k, needed for boat towing duties.

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
The OH's dads Hyundai Tucson has ate a turbo, turn out its beyond economical repair. He uses it primarily to tow a boat a few miles back and forth from the house, he lives in Torquay and up a stupidly steep hill so it needs something with a bit of torque (I tried it in a 1.4 206 a few years ago, and it never drove the same afterwards lol).

What's worth looking at around the £3k mark? He loved the Tucson but any he's looked at in his price range has issues already and he just wants something that will work when he wants to take the boat out.

Edited - He's actually willing to spend 3k, i got my wires crossed

Last edited:

Simon998

RMS Regular
OP
Simon998
Drives
Mini
He's of the generation that automatically links diesels with cheaper driving costs, knows absolutely nothing about cars and wants a diesel. I tried explaining that a petrol would probably be better for the short journeys (no DPF etc) but he wasn't having it.

He had a 2.0l petrol Kia something or other before the Hyundai and it wouldn't drag the boat up the hill, so he gave up on that and bought a cheap diesel and loved the torque when driving around Torquay.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
torquey in Torquay.......

Unless you get lucky, £1000 isn't going to get something decent, diesel, 4x4 and torquey - I bet there is a strong market for that sort of thing. The budget will also rule out anything new enough to have a DPF.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
For a smallish 4x4, a lot of them probably diesels anyway.
Suzuki Vitara, Honda CRV, etc. Or a big old 3.1TD Isuzu Trooper.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Discovery is probably best bet at that money these days.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
3.1 Trooper has my vote. Clutches can go to ***** with towing but everything else is bomb proof.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
What about an old Terrano or Maverick?

Shogun V6 petrol would get my vote though, abused one for years and it was grand.

Last edited:

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
My v70 d5 fwd towed the 370z and big trailer ok and they can be picked up at that money or less

6F1387AB-CA8C-40A4-9711-653661F13A61.jpeg

johnm

RMS Regular
Might struggle on a damp slipway. All the weight over the rear and the slips tend to be quite slippery. Plus is that rig even legal? :joy:

Is it not 4t combined total?
Could have sworn I read that couple weeks back.

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
2005/6 d5 xc90 would be perfect for that job in that budget I would have thought

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
BMW x3 3.0d can be bought for handy money and aren't as hard to live with as you would think. I've had mine 2 years and 80k and it's not been that bad apart from a few surprises that weren't expensive to fix.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
BMWs don't have any kind of diff lock at all though, so it'll just end up one wheeling backwards into the sea.

Whatever he gets, make sure the second half of the name is Rover, and he'll be grand. An old Navara would be a possibility too or the Trooper as mentioned.

Given that he's by the sea, and intends to dip the back end into it on a semi-regular basis, there is nothing that will survive any better than anything else. Rust will eat away the chassis of any vehicle fit to do this job so any reliability concerns are fairly irrelevant IMO. Towing a boat up a steep hill means putting torque to the ground is actually the biggest priority and for that you're looking at the farmer's choices - Shogun, Range/Land Rover, Navara/L200, Terrano/Maverick, Trooper/Rodeo. All have rust problems and reliability problems, so it makes not much odds, but I'd agree with Coogles on the Disco 2 front, as that is the most plentiful and easiest to get a good one within £3k.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Important question: what size and weight is the boat?

I launched my 5.4m rib/75hp 4 stroke engine with my old 2000 Passat 1.9TDi and it was effortless. Heavy diesel engine over the driven axle and the boat/trailer wasn’t heavy enough to cause it any concern. So long as the front wheels stayed on dry standing, it would never have been a problem. The great set of winter tyres would have went it it’s favour had the front end touched water, but never needed to test that theory.

I usually used the Jeep Renegade for launching and again, it was more than up to the job. I’d have been comfortable using it to tow and launch a boat twice the weight, but always engaged 4wd when on the slip way due to the value of the Jeep and not wanting to take any chances...

gerryp

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche 997
Surely a Toyota of some sort would do the job.
Older Landcruiser or RAV4 maybe.