What is your worst/most ridiculous and best/easiest experience when selling your car ?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
Had a weirdo come and look at my Old 182 when i was selling it.

Asked me to meet him at Wilsons auctions, Took about 20 mins look around the car and pawing through the paperwork. I asked if he wanted to go for a drive in it, so i hopped into the passenger side and he the driver side, i handed him the keys and he tootled up the carpark... and then, back down it, didn't even come out of 1st.

I'm not sure if I could even class him as a tyre kicker.

The other was a 1.2 Clio i was selling for the sister in law, @Ge0rge came to look at it and it was running a bit rough, needed a coil pack or something.
I left him to look around the car after he had a drive while I went inside seen him open the bonnet, check the oilcap, replace it close the bonnet, get into his car and drive off.

I went out and checked and sure enough there was a bit of Mayo, i'd have walked too. Just made me chuckle the way he did it :grinning:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I'd two (man and woman) body builders come up to look at a car I had for sale. Two of the biggest knobs I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with. Vest tops, fake tan, tattoos and mowhawk hair do's. As soon as I saw them I knew they would be a right pair of arseholes.

Guy immediately starts into me about the car. Too dear, too many marks, didn't like the seats, how his brothers is better (despite being a lesser model), etc.

The car wasn't perfect but it was a good car (it's still going today as it happens). Despite the 'condition' he takes it a drive, I hop into the back and once out on the main road he stops and tries doing 3rd gear launches from a standstill with the handbrake to the roof to see if the clutch would slip.

After the second attempt I told him to turn around and get back to the house right now or get the **** out of the car.

Drives back home like he'd stole the thing. Skids to a stop in the driveway, etc. Proper roid head.

Despite all this he still bids me half the asking price back at the house. At this stage he could have offered me a million quid and I would have slammed the door in his face. Sat arguing with his lady mate in their own car for about half an hour before knocking the door a couple of times, which I ignored and then finally leaving. Sold the car the next day.

Meanwhile he's texting me bids of 7/800 off the asking price and absolutely flipped when I told him it had gone. Even said he was coming down 'for a chat'.

Couple of utter **** pinchers, operating at world championship level.

Also had someone on here promise to take my GTi and then proceed **** me over on the deal. That was fun.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Gaz86

RMS Regular
Lol she totally didn't grasp that at all , assclown of the highest order!

Sold 2hrs later , paid and delivered last night , just hoping Samantha calls back looking for it... she will still be invited for a viewing ...

Yeah send the b*tch on a wild goose chase!!!! What a c**k!!

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
The one that sticks in my head was my Evo 8 about 5 years ago. A young polish fella and his dad came from London, liked the car agreed the price all going well. He brought a couple of k cash and went to do the bank transfer for the rest. He had changed his mobile number and this somehow affected his online banking security and when he applied the new number it locked his account.
He was with Lloyds who didn't have a branch here, he phoned them and they wouldn't accept that he was genuine, his poor English didn't help him there. I explained that I couldn't let the car go until I had all the money even though they were genuine people, his eyes literally filled up in front of me the poor lad. My wife suggested he get a flight to Glasgow to withdraw the money before 5pm (he made it with 10 mins to spare) and then got another flight back to Belfast that evening. I picked him up at the airport for a second time, done the deal and left them to the ferry to Liverpool that night.
It was a complete cluster**** of a day but all ended well.

Oh then I left the 9 grand in a brown paper bag sitting on the window sill outside the house overnight after a few too many drinks. It was still there the next morning, but that's another story altogether.

Thought that was your friend did that ... :p

One of my "friends" sold his car last year and had over 9k in cash in a brown paper bag.

That night him and his wife were going to their other friends house for a while for some dinner and a few drinks so he took the cash with him as he didnt want to leave it in his house just in case it got robbed.

On returning home with his wife they couldnt find the front door key so the wife emptied out her handbag and gave the my friend his bag of cash to hold, they found the key and went inside.
The next morning he woke in a drunken haze which quickly descended into chaos as he realised he didnt have the cash in his bedside cabinet. He frantically ran around the house checking everywhere including the freezer but couldnt find it.
Then for some reason he decided to open the front door and look outside??...and what was sitting on the window sill, with a tear in it and a wad of cash showing

Crazy thing is somebody had been round the doors posting charity fliers through the doors early that morning but failed to notice the 9k sitting in a sandwich bag 2 feet away. My friend almost collapsed with relief.....and not a single note was missing. Hes a lucky guy my friend.

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
I walked out of Charles Hurst with a trade in value for my wife's car, put it on usedcarsni for £2k more and sold it the next morning.
Went back into CH to collect the new car, the guy told me it wasn't possible for the other car to have sold for that price.

Ok mate, it didn't.......:relieved:

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I walked out of Charles Hurst with a trade in value for my wife's car, put it on usedcarsni for £2k more and sold it the next morning.
Went back into CH to collect the new car, the guy told me it wasn't possible for the other car to have sold for that price.

Ok mate, it didn't.......:relieved:

lol brilliant, you can be guaranteed it would have sold for more than the extra £2k when they put it out on their forecourt

Sharkey

RMS Regular
Amending the thread title slightly...

What is your worst/most ridiculous and best/easiest experience when buying a car?

Ive had my fair share of this sh1te as well.

Drove 1hour 30mins to a dealers in draperstown to view a golf. 'Very clean, no rust, no smoke, great condition' yada yada yada... The usual dealer speak. 'Very rare in black'. That one always gets me....

Arrived up to the sight of 4 grown men hoking about in the engine, jump leads hanging out, to a car that wouldn't start, with rusty arches and worn interior. Good timing on my end I think.

What do you even say in this situation?

'Hi yes, I'm here to collect my £20 fuel money for the wasted journey you caused me!' Poison. Lesson learnt.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

56oval

RMS Regular
Amending the thread title slightly...

What is your worst/most ridiculous and best/easiest experience when buying a car?

Flew to Milan to buy a van, looked good in the photographs that were sent to me in the post ( pre internet days )
Got there, a tree had fallen on it and crushed the roof, it had no brakes and no reverse gear. I spent 2 days rebuilding the brakes in the street and serviced the engine. Pushed the roof out with a scaffold pole and timbers. Obviously i'd purchased it at this point and had to drive it back to essex. I left on a friday evening, got 10 miles out of Milan and the battery light came on. Drove to a mates garage and slept on the back of the flatbed in his field, spent the night getting eaten alive by mosquitos. Put a used dynamo in the next morning and headed back for France. 100 miles in the battery light came back on!!!!!! No return now, and no recovery options. The wire had come off the voltage regulator and blew it. Managed to drive it to Chamonix and slept in the dodgyest carpark in the town. Lots of comings and goings of the working ladies variety, drunks and junkies. Got woken in the back of the flatbed by pouring rain ( i was just in a sleeping bag under the stars / rainclouds ) so i got up and jumped into the cab. Half an hour later i get a crippling bout of the sh*ts and end up waving my socks down the river after using them as wet wipes. 5am the sun crept up, i put the lights on and prayed the van would start. It did!!! So that was me back on the road in a van running solely off the battery. Next stop the Eurostar. A full day driving, coasting into services for fuel and filling with the engine running. One stop by french police which should have had me arrested and the van seized as it poured petrol out the side after the last fillup.
I made it to the Tunnel, a huge relief!!! French customs waved me through, the uk customs had other ideas!
I got the works!!! The van had cameras put in everywhere, sniffer dogs etc etc, i was there for two hours and had no key for the treasure chest on the side so they cut it open. Luckily it was empty. After a few hours they let me go, i jumped back in the van and click!!!! Yep the battery was done. So i asked the freindly ( not ) customs officials for a bump start to which they humorously obliged and drove onto the train. Phew!!!!
Next stop Dover at dusk!!!!!
The staff bumped the van off the train and i headed for essex, it was getting dark and i left it as long as i dared to put the lights on, the battery was just keeping the engine alive. I made it to the Dartford crossing paid the fee and then crossed everything in hope that i could make it 15 miles to Billericay ( and without getting busted by essex traffic branch ) tentatively the van made it to the Brook St Roundabout, this meant one more dual carriageway and about 5 miles to the outskirts of Billers. Made it!! Now just 3 miles across country then all of a sudden the engine started to die!! I switched the headlights off and bam!! Up she came again so i had to drive the rest of the way with no lights in the pitch black cross country! ( yep i know, i should have pulled up and left it to be safe ) i made it to the town, my house was another mile up a hill. As i came to the crest the van started to die, i stuck it in neutral, coasted on the last of its momentum, swung a left and onto my driveway. I got out, opened the front door, walked up the stairs and climbed into bed vowing NEVER AGAIN!!!
( thats the short version)

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Flew to Milan to buy a van, looked good in the photographs that were sent to me in the post ( pre internet days )
Got there, a tree had fallen on it and crushed the roof, it had no brakes and no reverse gear. I spent 2 days rebuilding the brakes in the street and serviced the engine. Pushed the roof out with a scaffold pole and timbers. Obviously i'd purchased it at this point and had to drive it back to essex. I left on a friday evening, got 10 miles out of Milan and the battery light came on. Drove to a mates garage and slept on the back of the flatbed in his field, spent the night getting eaten alive by mosquitos. Put a used dynamo in the next morning and headed back for France. 100 miles in the battery light came back on!!!!!! No return now, and no recovery options. The wire had come off the voltage regulator and blew it. Managed to drive it to Chamonix and slept in the dodgyest carpark in the town. Lots of comings and goings of the working ladies variety, drunks and junkies. Got woken in the back of the flatbed by pouring rain ( i was just in a sleeping bag under the stars / rainclouds ) so i got up and jumped into the cab. Half an hour later i get a crippling bout of the sh*ts and end up waving my socks down the river after using them as wet wipes. 5am the sun crept up, i put the lights on and prayed the van would start. It did!!! So that was me back on the road in a van running solely off the battery. Next stop the Eurostar. A full day driving, coasting into services for fuel and filling with the engine running. One stop by french police which should have had me arrested and the van seized as it poured petrol out the side after the last fillup.
I made it to the Tunnel, a huge relief!!! French customs waved me through, the uk customs had other ideas!
I got the works!!! The van had cameras put in everywhere, sniffer dogs etc etc, i was there for two hours and had no key for the treasure chest on the side so they cut it open. Luckily it was empty. After a few hours they let me go, i jumped back in the van and click!!!! Yep the battery was done. So i asked the freindly ( not ) customs officials for a bump start to which they humorously obliged and drove onto the train. Phew!!!!
Next stop Dover at dusk!!!!!
The staff bumped the van off the train and i headed for essex, it was getting dark and i left it as long as i dared to put the lights on, the battery was just keeping the engine alive. I made it to the Dartford crossing paid the fee and then crossed everything in hope that i could make it 15 miles to Billericay ( and without getting by essex traffic branch ) tentatively the van made it to the Brook St Roundabout, this meant one more dual carriageway and about 5 miles to the outskirts of Billers. Made it!! Now just 3 miles across country then all of a sudden the engine started to die!! I switched the headlights off and bam!! Up she cam again so i had to drive the rest of the way with no lights in the pitch black cross country! ( yep i know, i should have pulled up and left it to be safe ) i made it to the town, my house was another mile up a hill. As i came to the crest the van started to die, i stuck it in neutral, coasted on the last of its momentum, swung a left and onto my driveway. I got out, opened the front door, walked up the stairs and climbed into bed vowing NEVER AGAIN!!!
You win.

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
lol brilliant, you can be guaranteed it would have sold for more than the extra £2k when they put it out on their forecourt

Without doubt, however they gave me a week to sell it or they stand over their trade in valuation.
Worth remembering for anyone trading in there.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.