What is your worst/most ridiculous and best/easiest experience when selling your car ?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
@56oval ... What age are you? Because that sounds proper old school!

And to think we complain now if the car doesn't turn the first twist of the key to take us 5mins down the road to work.

56oval

RMS Regular
@56oval ... What age are you? Because that sounds proper old school!

And to think we complain now if the car doesn't turn the first twist of the key to take us 5mins down the road to work.

Old enough to know better than i did back then!!!!
I must get my old films from that trip developed. We loaded the flatbed with tonnes of sets of porsche fuch's and a set of original magnesium BRM's for some cool pics. I used to import vw buses from italy and portugal as i had a mate who would find them and ring me with the details. The ambulance we dragged out of a barn in Portugal was a comedy roadtrip.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Old enough to know better than i did back then!!!!
I must get my old films from that trip developed. We loaded the flatbed with tonnes of sets of porsche fuch's and a set of original magnesium BRM's for some cool pics. I used to import vw buses from italy and portugal as i had a mate who would find them and ring me with the details. The ambulance we dragged out of a barn in Portugal was a comedy roadtrip.

You need your own section or thread at least by the sounds of it lol

Gemma

RMS Regular
Sold the hateful TT to first person who looked at it. Was my friends friend from down south bought it, I hated the car that much I actually went to work the night he came to lift it and leave me the money, my friend dealt with it all lol couldn't wait for it to disappear

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Good few years ago I spotted a concourse condition E36 M325i Coupe for sale. Lowish mileage at a great price. Called the guy the next morning and spoke at length about it. He sent me the guts of 40 pictures via email later that day. Mulled it over during the night and called him first thing next morning to say i'd take it (bearing in mind i've not seen or driven the car yet but trust the fella). We agree on the asking price and I said i'd see him after work. Run around all day getting the cash out and about an hour before I'm due to leave for his he texts with his address and directions. All good, Finish work jump in my mates car and off we go, halfway there I call him 3 times, no answer. Tried calling him on my mates phone and he picks up, tell him we are 15 mins away and i've the cash as agreed. C@*tbag in shock as he's answered the phone to me on a different number stammers away down the phone telling me his neighbour had called round ten minutes ago, given him more than the asking price and taken the car. FML

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Sold a Fabia SDi to a real eccentric fella, who went on at great length about making his own biodiesel. I remember showing him the warning on the inside of the fuel flap saying biodiesel shouldn't be used, he said it was OK, as his wifes Skoda went OK on it, so I left it at that.

6 months later I got a few nasty e-mails stating that I only sold it because I knew the fuel pump was on its way out......

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Sold a Fabia SDi to a real eccentric fella, who went on at great length about making his own biodiesel. I remember showing him the warning on the inside of the fuel flap saying biodiesel shouldn't be used, he said it was OK, as his wifes Skoda went OK on it, so I left it at that.

6 months later I got a few nasty e-mails stating that I only sold it because I knew the fuel pump was on its way out......

Bahahahahhaa ... screenshots please :cool:

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Sold 4 of my old cars through RMS and they were straight forward sales with no messing.

Worst sale I has was with a car I sold a few years back, a few weeks after the sale I got a series of texts from the buyer. Claiming that his sister was a Solicitor who was going to bring me to court if I didn't refund them or pay up as I knowingly sold them a faulty car.

They had brought the 30 year old car to the main dealer and got an invoice for a new distributor . There was no sense in what they were doing and I'm sure it was an easy DIY/Used part fix and claimed I had it SORN'd as I knowingly knew the car was faulty. Despite it being January when most classic cars are of the road.

Thankfully he had asked me for a receipt on purchase I wrote 'sold as seen' so he was reminded of that...

The car was a wee gem and was up for sale about a year later , I wanted it back but just couldn't bare deal with him.

GavRS182

RMS Regular
Drives
RS Clio 182
Years ago I was selling my mazda 323f. Nice we car, just needed a diesel sadly.

Young lad comes out to view, likes it, rings insurance company and they say no. Off he heads home.

Same fella rings later and says his mum is coming out and if she likes it she's gonna insure it for him (standard for us all at 17 odd).

So boy gets out talks to me and then his mum gets out of the car.......

Oh dear.

I'd bucked her a few weeks before hand having met her in Bar7, gotten drunk and figured why not. To be fair she was a very sexy 40 year old woman (kinda had that American newsreader look about her, fake tits and all) and I Smashed her fanny in all night.

So it couldn't be more awkward for her, so I said take your mum for a test drive and see if she likes how it rides and handles. At which point she says the line that sticks with me to this day.

"If it was anything like you I'm buying the car right now"

Lol. Son looked so confused and by time they had gotten back she must have told him because he turned into the biggest tool to me.

Told his ma to call me sometime, she waved getting into his car and he sped off spinning the wheels the entire length of the road in a diesel Peugeot 106 5 door.

Lmao. Sure. These things happen.

LOL :laughing::laughing:

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
When I was breaking the old 182 a guy had come out to lift the engine and the throttle bodies, had them all ready to collect and sitting in the garage for him. Cracked open the door and he proceeded to point things out in the garage he wanted to buy, felt like supermarket sweep. He picked up all sorts of random parts, tools and a second engine and I totalled it up in my head and out came the notes.. Suited me fine!

Selling the Z the first time the guy who bought it was a body builder, got out and was MASSIVE, then his mate gets out of the car from presumably the back seat. He made the other guy look tiny and when a massive wad of 10s adding up to 12k were taken out for me to count I swiftly texted @Boydie to pop round incase my arse was turned into a yawning hippo. Lads ended up being dead on, but I didn't fancy that one all on my todd.

Clio 197 was easily the best sale, chatted to the guy over the phone. Picked him up for the airport, drove to my house while his Aston Martin mechanic went over the car and talked to me about the work done/spec. 10mins later money in my account and off they went to the ferry

Now the bmw on the other hand would put me off selling cars, 2 boys from birmingham on at me for ages about the car and no time ever suited them to get over. Finally a Friday came round where I was meant to be heading down south for a wedding but I stayed around and picked them up from a flight which was 4 hours late. They went over the car with everything bar an X-ray machine to make sure it was ok, pointing out every flaw in the car. Everything I'd already mentioned over the phone and in photos anyway. Went through every receipt and invoice in my kitchen when his mate decides to roll himself a fat one and get loose, now wants to talk about how much I earn and how much my house is worth. Tells me i'll take an offer 3k less than I was asking and after laughing in their face I say it's time to call them a taxi i've to get on the road to Dublin. Their reply was no... we aren't leaving. Couldn't get them out of the house for love nor money and now I was starting to lose the rag with them. @ChrisL was text to get round asap and we hear him coming round the corner in the jag like Ken block is filming a new gymkhana video outside. A few minutes later and a couple of phonecalls turns out he decided to take it, payment via 2 different bank transfers and some cash. Couldn't have been a more awkward sale

Jesus, would've took a hammer to them

Reactions: Cro
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.