What to buy to tidy up car with basic DA polisher

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I bought an Argos DA polisher on 12 June 2016 (found receipt in box), and have never used it. It comes with one foam pad.

I have minimal car products - a few AG items and some metallic T Cut that’s been in the cupboard for 15 years I’m sure.

I want to tidy up and polish the paint work on the car. I need help on what to buy - what pads etc do I need and what polishes etc.

Any help appreciated (clearly been a while since I took an interest). Looks likes it’s going to be nice towards the middle of the week so plan to give it go then.

Cheers.

67D4C8FE-0F90-4EB0-A157-81F29E8DF72C.jpeg

CC1151C0-E79B-4BF1-80F9-114AF05B9405.jpeg

Last edited:

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Don’t under estimate the time involved Adam. The car needs well washed, de-tarred, fall out remover and a quick Clay then cleaned and allowed to dry before you even look at the buff. 2 compounds/pads then protection wax/seal. For results

saxo_man

RMS Regular
OP
saxo_man
Don’t under estimate the time involved Adam. The car needs well washed, de-tarred, fall out remover and a quick Clay then cleaned and allowed to dry before you even look at the buff. 2 compounds/pads then protection wax/seal. For results

At least its only half painted

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Old school German stuff is BRICK HARD. Get yourself a packet of megs DA cutting pads and some Megs 105.

You will need to brush the pad out after each pass and you will use both for the car.

Then use some Megs 205 on a rupes yellow pad to refine. It's a polishing pad but you will need it to remove the marring from cutting but it will finish down enough that you won't need to do a 3rd stage.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
OP
saxo_man
Old school German stuff is BRICK HARD. Get yourself a packet of megs DA cutting pads and some Megs 105.

You will need to brush the pad out after each pass and you will use both for the car.

Then use some Megs 205 on a rupes yellow pad to refine. It's a polishing pad but you will need it to remove the marring from cutting but it will finish down enough that you won't need to do a 3rd stage.

Thanks Pete. Is there a 'Google Translate' function available for detailer speak :joy:

I did a quick search there on those products, cheers. These are suitable for a beginner?

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Always had a decent result on any of mine with the megs 105 and 205 and a yellow lake country pad for cutting and blue for polishing

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
@saxo_man they will be perfectly safe. A DA with that power will be easy to handle and the products themselves aren't as dangerous as they used to be. Just be mindful of any edges and trim. Just tape up anything you think you might make contact with that you don't want too.

Be worth throwing a sheet over the hood too as it's going to be a very dusty process lol

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
@big_pete bit off track but would compounds that were opened 5 or 6 year ago be fit for use or bin ? There still perfectly runny etc, air tight cap. Hard going through a larger bottle when it’s only hobby use.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Is the backing plate the 180mm (7inch) size as stated on the box? You'd be better off with a 5 inch plate and some DMC5 m/f Meguiars pads. @Davey@Procar would have all the stuff you'll need. Pads, liquids and possibly a 5 inch plate to fit that machine.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
OP
saxo_man
Cheers guys. Unfortunately Belfast isnt really practical for me.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Happy to throw you this lot over Adam ? Hexlogic pads and cartec cut compound and re-finish and the das 6 pro buffer with backing plate. All came from procar but rarely used now. Might be old hat stuff now ? @big_pete or might do for a tidy up ?

Attachments

• D898E336-1754-4F7A-8A4E-B18E1C825247.jpeg
    D898E336-1754-4F7A-8A4E-B18E1C825247.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:

saxo_man

RMS Regular
OP
saxo_man
Happy to throw you this lot over Adam ? Hexlogic pads and cartec cut compound and re-finish and the das 6 pro buffer with backing plate. All came from procar but rarely used now. Might be old hat stuff now ? @big_pete or might do for a tidy up ?

Cheers David, very kind! I've a polisher here, and just ordered Meguires 105 and 205 online for £13 a bottle delivered. I think RT Autoparts does backing plates and pads so might try to get something sorted.

Deleted member 13907

D
Thread revival.
Looking advice for the best products for a 2 stage polish on my Octavia and also my wife’s Toyota Auris. I’m guessing these are likely to require different products as in my experience Japanese cars tend to have much softer paint than VAG cars. I have a Megs DA and also a rotary, just haven’t used them in a long time.
Neither car is overly bad to be honest - mine is just a bit swirly more than anything else.