What to do? Paint

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

graham8

RMS Regular
555A0F04-CB45-43E6-BEBA-FC5FBBF286C8.jpeg
217BD015-8E05-4FF5-9F34-FFD94BAB718E.jpeg
Hi folks. Went to see a passat today and bottom of arches were starting to go. Any one else had rust at this part of the arch and is it worth painting?? I’ve been wondering could I get away with just painting the arch but as it’s silver would prob stand out a mile.
Any advice welcome folks

colin84

RMS Regular
It would be a waste of time, it will be worse underneath the black plastic trim. If you did paint it, it would be back within months, and you would notice it a mile off. Really it needs a new wing.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Looks like a b5 or b5.5 ? If so the wings are more than likely rotting from the inside out at the top of the arches anyway. May not be noticeable now but will eventually come through and need replacing.

If they are ok at the top of the arch I would have a go at patching up the bottom of those wings if it were mine. You'd need to grind down to bare metal though before treating, filling, priming and blowing it in. It would never be perfect but should last a few years if done right.

Last edited:

Odhran

RMS Regular
Drives
A5 Sportback
Looks like a b5 or b5.5 ? If so the wings are more than likely rotting from the inside out at the top of the arches anyway. May not be noticeable now but will eventually come through and need replacing.

If they are ok at the top of the arch I would have a go at patching up the bottom of those wings if it were mine. You'd need to grind down to bare metal though before treating, filling, priming and blowing it in. It would never be perfect but should last a few years if done right.

B6 by the looks of it if that makes a difference.

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Looks like a B6 aye. Mine failed MOT on a rusty wing, I managed to get one from a breakers for £70, got it fitted for £30 after almost making a balls of it myself.

Last edited:

archie

RMS Member
If it is a passat and looks like one you can get the wings replaced and painted under the anti corrision warranty if the car is under 12 years old

David19

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk7. 5 GTIPP
If it is a passat and looks like one you can get the wings replaced and painted under the anti corrision warranty if the car is under 12 years old

Good luck with that lol and I think VW will tell you it's 10 years with possible 2 years good will.

archie

RMS Member
Good luck with that lol and I think VW will tell you it's 10 years with possible 2 years good will.

its 12 years on the corrision warranty as my sister got both front wings replaced on her 2006 VW Passat last November and at that time her car was 11 Years and 8 Months old

Last edited:

David19

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk7. 5 GTIPP
its 12 years on the corrision warranty as my sister got both front wings replaced on her 2006 VW Passat last November and at that time her car was 11 Years and 8 Months old
Yes I got mine done to but know a lot that didn't.
Just read a few of the forums.especialy the MK5 GTI one.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Silver wings shouldnt be too hard to come by in a breakers. Or if its not a dear car have a go yourself, I did a tidy up job on a set of mk5 golf wings after VW wouldnt cover it, it was still the same when i sold it the rust hadnt returned (yet), it was only worth about £2k though

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.