What to do when you bring a non standard car to mot

roadsteralex

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT 3.2
Few questions when u bring non standard car to mot.

1. Turn on fuel pump with button
2. Turn on dash with button
3. Warning lights may be at a different place than the dash
4. Wait for wideband to be fully warm before start

And a lot more things.

So does mot know what to do lol? Don’t want things like the fuel pump running etc

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
1. This is extremely stupid. There is zero reason to have a manual controlled fuel pump. The ecu controls it for a reason, including safety shut off.

2. Why on earth ?

3. All warning lights must be clearly and correctly marked.

4. Never start a cold engine with an already hot wideband sensor, it's an easy way to kill it. Just have it come on with the ignition/engine start as any normal person would.

roadsteralex

RMS Regular
OP
roadsteralex
Drives
Audi TT 3.2
1. This is extremely stupid. There is zero reason to have a manual controlled fuel pump. The ecu controls it for a reason, including safety shut off.

2. Why on earth ?

3. All warning lights must be clearly and correctly marked.

4. Never start a cold engine with an already hot wideband sensor, it's an easy way to kill it. Just have it come on with the ignition/engine start as any normal person would.
4. To increase wideband sensor life it’s better to let the wideband fully warm up before starting the car

3. So they can be anywhere?

2. Because I have a digital dashboard and I want the option to turn it off while my car is still on ignition to reduce battery usage

1. My ecu does not control my fuel pump, it’s with an button and I have a kill switch for emergency reasons

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Cold starts can see condensation in the exhaust, this can immediately kill a hot sensor. Do things the correct way, not some strange way.

Warning lights would obviously need to be clearly visible to the driver, and marked correctly.

Bizarre.

Well it should control it. There is zero sensible reason for the ecu not to control it.

roadsteralex

RMS Regular
OP
roadsteralex
Drives
Audi TT 3.2
Yeah so as long it’s where I want it it’s fine then?
Most of the guys have their fuel pump at a button in the US instead of by ecu…
That’s why I have it the exact way

I know with cold starts it’s better to wait but when I drive my car to MOT. They turn the car off and start again it’s not like they wait for everything to be exactly right
Cold starts can see condensation in the exhaust, this can immediately kill a hot sensor. Do things the correct way, not some strange way.

Warning lights would obviously need to be clearly visible to the driver, and marked correctly.

Bizarre.

Well it should control it. There is zero sensible reason for the ecu not to control it

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Most of the guys have their fuel pump at a button in the US instead of by ecu…
That’s why I have it the exact way

Err ok, makes sense.....

ops.meme_.nba_.jpg

Also, they don't really turn the car off for more than a few minutes. Hardly enough to call it a cold start.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Whatever way you have the car setup you obviously just need to let them take it through as normal, they arent gonna stand there and listen to a whole pile of instructions about the order to do this or that lol

A few minutes in the test centre isnt gonna wreck the thing

dddrrift

RMS Regular
must be like a boeing cockpit in there. Do you check with ground control before you take off?lol

A fuel pump that runs constant is not safe in the event of an accident, im sure you can appreciate why, id look at changing that as you have nothing to gain by having it on a switch. The rest is just trivial and to your taste. wing it through, the testers arn't idiots either.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Can't see that the fuel pump woth be a testable item unless fuel is expelled by the output running.
With regard to operating the car, the guys are mechanics, if its clearly labeled I'm sure its not rocket science to start it.
It wouldn't be the first rally car without an actual ignition key switch they've tested
I don't understand all the components you list or why they are fitted but if the car cannot be switched on and off like any normal car it likely won't be allowed through the door.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Can't see that the fuel pump woth be a testable item unless fuel is expelled by the output running.
With regard to operating the car, the guys are mechanics, if its clearly labeled I'm sure its not rocket science to start it.
It wouldn't be the first rally car without an actual ignition key switch they've tested
I don't understand all the components you list or why they are fitted but if the car cannot be switched on and off like any normal car it likely won't be allowed through the door.
Oh I don't know, the other week the tester couldn't work out how to get out of my car, I'd to reach in through the open window to push the central locking button for him 😆

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Have accident ,roll car ,knock oneself out cold and pumps running constant.hopefully no fuel lines ect ripped off .
I’m guessing the car is something rather special ??.

roadsteralex

RMS Regular
OP
roadsteralex
Drives
Audi TT 3.2
Hey all here’s an update , totally forgot about this.

Car passed MOT! The problem with the fuel pump has been fixed by changing ECU.

Funny thing about the MOT, I recorded it all with tape recorder and they couldn’t control the clutch of my car 🤣 kept stalling all the time and they were swearing and such haha

Video link:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
MOT staff can get ratty about dashcams recording, which are clearly visible to them

And you're deliberately leaving a recording device they would be unaware of ??

As for any clutch, unless it's making quite a few hundred hp, there isn't much need for a nasty clutch these days.

roadsteralex

RMS Regular
OP
roadsteralex
Drives
Audi TT 3.2
Tbh I record everything In my car, my radio automatic records conversations by default, my dash/ecu starts logging when you start the car.

Gps being logged and uploaded to my own server in real time as well :grinning:

I do this to proof a point if I ever bring my car anywhere

Dave..

RMS Regular
Tbh I record everything In my car, my radio automatic records conversations by default, my dash/ecu starts logging when you start the car.

Gps being logged and uploaded to my own server in real time as well :grinning:

I do this to proof a point if I ever bring my car anywhere
Recording without permission and uploading to social media without the peoples permission seems like a bad thing to do.