What to do when you bring a non standard car to mot

roadsteralex

RMS Regular
OP
roadsteralex
Drives
Audi TT 3.2
Recording without permission and uploading to social media without the peoples permission seems like a bad thing to do.
You can’t identify people like that. Could have used the actual video footage but decided not to do this
Ffs it’s a bit of craic.. chill out. We’re being recorded 24/7.
Exactly… was just for fun to see what they said about the car in general which was funny in general

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Yeah not cool recording someone’s private convo. Wouldn’t be too happy about that myself tbh.

As long as it passed is the main thing 😎

roadsteralex

RMS Regular
OP
roadsteralex
Drives
Audi TT 3.2
Yeah not cool recording someone’s private convo. Wouldn’t be too happy about that myself tbh.

As long as it passed is the main thing 😎
Tbh I only cut out the parts about my car didn’t care about the rest lol

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
In the training centre in England with VW we were told to unplug any dashcams on a car bringing it into the workshop as there are issues re child protection if you have a 16/17 year old apprentice running about and being filmed without their guardians consent. How true that is I don’t know, however none of us do that. One guy with us was caught years ago saying ‘state of that’ to a Golf, which to be fair, was an absolute state of a felty car. The wee girls father came in and complained, the guy got a bollocking and that’s the worst that has happened with us lol.

Last edited:

roadsteralex

RMS Regular
OP
roadsteralex
Drives
Audi TT 3.2
In the training centre in England with VW we were told to unplug any dashcams on a car bringing it into the workshop as there are issues re child protection if you have a 16/17 year old apprentice running about and being filmed without their guardians consent. How true that is I don’t know, however none of us do that. One guy with us was caught years ago saying ‘state of that’ to a Golf, which to be fair, was an absolute state of a felty car. The wee girls father came in and complained, the guy got a bollocking and that’s the worst that has happened with us lol.
When I first got my car and brought it to mot we were still allowed to be there and the guy started off with: why do you buy a car like this? Why not buy a VW/Audi big diesel… I looked at him like: the **** You talking about? If someone comes with a tiny sports car the person definitely isn’t looking for a big Audi ffs 🤣🤣

It failed on something small like headlights but second person I got was a lot better.

If someone would call my car let’s say a POS, that’s okay that’s their opinion but don’t mind me uploading that 🤣🤣🤣

But since covid you aren’t allowed to be there anymore and need to wait outside so you hear nothing.

I could have called a second phone with auto answer for example which makes no difference really.

For me it was just for laughs anyway

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
How many dash cam vids have we seen of the mechanic taking it for a 'test drive' at silly speeds. I'd want that evidence. I've also got an anti-tamper device on the Jag's dash cam.

Heard of one case where a dealership was caught damaging a customers car, reversing into a bollard, collision could be heard in the footage and even the driver heard saying bollox or some like. Dealer then trying to deny any damage.

People voicing differing opinions im not fussed about. Its a free world (allegedly), and we can still voice those opinions. Damage to your car though, that I'd want as evidence.

roadsteralex

RMS Regular
OP
roadsteralex
Drives
Audi TT 3.2
How many dash cam vids have we seen of the mechanic taking it for a 'test drive' at silly speeds. I'd want that evidence. I've also got an anti-tamper device on the Jag's dash cam.

Heard of one case where a dealership was caught damaging a customers car, reversing into a bollard, collision could be heard in the footage and even the driver heard saying bollox or some like. Dealer then trying to deny any damage.

People voicing differing opinions im not fussed about. Its a free world (allegedly), and we can still voice those opinions. Damage to your car though, that I'd want as evidence.
Agree!! Have seen that a lot!

The recording also made me aware how they handled my clutch …
MOT staff can get ratty about dashcams recording, which are clearly visible to them

And you're deliberately leaving a recording device they would be unaware of ??

As for any clutch, unless it's making quite a few hundred hp, there isn't much need for a nasty clutch these days.
I can drive the car fine so nothing wrong with the clutch ;) just other people can’t seem to control it.

Just a stage 4 clutch

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica

And rightly so.
I would like to know who these dealerships are because the places I’ve worked, where accidents do occasionally happen, (I tripped and elbowed the bootlid of a fresh Ibiza FR leaving a lovely dent 🙄), the service manager is told, the customer is told, we cover the cost at our body place and comp the work that was being done originally on the car and usually a free service or whatever. Not saying that it doesn’t happen, just I’ve never experienced or worked with anyone who has knowingly damaged something and said nothing.
Insurance black boxes are one for us in the dealers to watch out for. I lowered someone’s score after a few harsh brakes trying to suss out a braking complaint. Ended up having to contact the customers insurance and provide proof that it wasn’t her driving and the car was in the workshop for repairs at the time 🙈

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
And rightly so.
I would like to know who these dealerships are because the places I’ve worked, where accidents do occasionally happen, (I tripped and elbowed the bootlid of a fresh Ibiza FR leaving a lovely dent 🙄), the service manager is told, the customer is told, we cover the cost at our body place and comp the work that was being done originally on the car and usually a free service or whatever. Not saying that it doesn’t happen, just I’ve never experienced or worked with anyone who has knowingly damaged something and said nothing.
Insurance black boxes are one for us in the dealers to watch out for. I lowered someone’s score after a few harsh brakes trying to suss out a braking complaint. Ended up having to contact the customers insurance and provide proof that it wasn’t her driving and the car was in the workshop for repairs at the time 🙈
The bump incident was a fanchised jag dealer near Reading. I had Hurst's kerb one of my alloys. They said they'd do a smart repair. I said no dice. I took my car there to be looked after, not trashed. They did a full dip, strip and respray.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
And rightly so.

Shows the stupidity of so called black boxes though. As said before, you could drive slowly without any harsh movements....but be on the wrong side of the road, and the box would be singing it's praises. Or pulling out in front of people left right and centre, going through red lights etc....and it would be oblivious. They really are daft.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
Is the link still active all I get is the text and black below it ?

roadsteralex

RMS Regular
OP
roadsteralex
Drives
Audi TT 3.2
I think you car has potential. Sort out the sunken fibreglass, straighten out the bonnet vent and fit spacers and you’re onto a winner.

and now you’ve got the daft fuel pump sorted just enjoy it

id maybe not record someone without their knowledge though. That’s not so cool

I got updated pics with new wheels and such :grinning:
Is the link still active all I get is the text and black below it ?
Yeah

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
Recording someone whilst at their job without their knowing seems pretty bad form to me… but sure this is the world we live in

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
It's a catch 22 really.

People don't want to be recorded but the amount of horror stories about taking cars for a rip or work not completed. Doubt there's a decent solution to it.