what to do with old petrol?

dddrrift

RMS Regular
Have about 130 litres of petrol that I drained from the boat in drums, its been in there a few years and had to go, anyone know where to take it?

Gaz86

RMS Regular
Yep almost rioting season. Just leave it down near Short Strand or somewhere like that (y)

I would seriously just burn it if you think it's contaminated or can't be used.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
OP
dddrrift
burn it where?lol I had thought of the 12th but I want it away from about me like this week! Need my drums back to get some fresh stuff too!

Gaz86

RMS Regular
I was going to suggest the council but would they take something as flammable as petrol? Oil yes but I'm not too sure about petrol. Would be worth a phonecall

dddrrift

RMS Regular
OP
dddrrift
iv nothing id run it on other than the lawn mower and id be cutting for years to use that much. 350mag v8 in the boat coughed and spat it out so its for the dump lol

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Mix it with fresh as said and use it in generator/lawnmower or whatever if you can. Must be some change in petrol over the years....my boat had the guts of a tank in it from the millenium, topped it up and it ran it perfect.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
OP
dddrrift
This stuff has been in there from 2016 or before as far as I can tell and its having none of it. Fresh juice and she runs just fine, as soon as the old stuff gets to the carb it coughs and dies.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Probably has water in it which sinks to the bottom where the pick up draws from.
Plenty of videos and explanations on line about removing water from petrol, if you feel like having a go.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
As above, probably got water in it from condensation. Could be worth removing that, not hard, and reusing. It's a fair amount after all.

Wouldn't set fire to that much. Council should be able to point you in the right direction for who can dispose of it for you.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
OP
dddrrift
i could see bubbles at the bottom of the tank when i opened it. has a water separating filter too and she still didnt like it lol

must look at how to separate the water. it still smells ok to be fair

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It's unlikely to have "gone off". Will be some contamination, water from condensation just the most likely option. Bubbles at the bottom sounds like water, that's where it would be.

But who knows, lol.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
OP
dddrrift
you can see the bubbles in this pic, i assume its water? pickup is at the bottom too right enough

38541F36-AD66-416F-AA84-9FF53952472F.png

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
Surely the council will take it? Sure you can take old oil/paint and stuff to the dump?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If water has got in, it will collect at the bottom of the tank. Get the water out of there before it does serious harm. The patrol may or may not be usable after that, but if left to sit it will separate ( water at bottom, albeit dirty )

petrol water.jpeg