What to do with soft paint?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini
So the roof of my mini would appear to have the softest paint i have every come across.

I cut it back a few weeks ago now and had the swirls 90-95% removed - really happy with it.
2 stage menzerna, black hole glaze and exp sealant was used.

This wee motor never sees water, and is kept under a cover. Ive probably used a soft drying towel and last touch detailer on it 3-4 times and already i can see a lot swirls back in the roof. the red seems to be more resilient.

Is this just something to put up with??

Gibbo

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Did you panel wipe after using Menzerna? If not could be the case that some marks were still there and black hole filled them and has eventually worn off after a few wipedowns?

How dusty is the roof when you are wiping it with the quick Detailer, as that could inflict swirling also.

A ceramic coating certainly would help the cause as well.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
As @Gibbo says I would bet you are getting drop back as part of the problem.

Is it single stage or clear over base?

Ceramic is certainly an option but the home use options for that aren't up to par, plus on straight black the only way to keep it 100% defect free would be to PPF the roof. If the car doesn't get washed and just wiped down this really would be your best bet

I'm not normally a massive fan of it but a minis roof would lend itself to it nicely and it would never mark again.

miniator

RMS Regular
OP
miniator
Drives
'72 Mini
@Gibbo @big_pete yes,always wipe the panel before moving on to the next product/pad.

Its a single stage. the real reason i dont wash it is that its not dirty enough imo to require but perhaps it is...also its a mini, it doesnt need encouragement to rust.

youll have to expand on PPF pete! lol

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Give Andy McCullough a call on 07989981496. It wont be cheap but it's a proper solution plus the film itself is self healing.

He uses Suntek and it's the best I have seen in terms of finish etc.

Ceramic on single stage is still going to be a nightmare for you, PPF is no more headaches again

Mark@PD

RMS Regular
Drives
S1 Elise
I would advise you to get the roof polished properly befeore the PPF goes on or you could end up with defects visible underneath.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.