What Tool Bag / Go Bag do you have in your boot

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
With taking the Lotus to it’s first track day last Sunday I quickly discovered that my trusty Halfords flight case tool kit wouldn’t fit. And was probably overkill too. So everything I thought I needed was thrown into a 5p bag for life as you do.

Needless to say I wanted a tidier solution and after some brief amazon-Ing this svelte Draper bag arrived. Quickly filled it with random crap and deposited in the Exige boot.

B45196FF-32A0-4200-9CB6-3D464186B9D3.jpeg

Who else has a go bag in their boot/car, what’s in it (tools/cleaning stuff/something more interesting!). Pics of course. Maybe give us all some ideas!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Halfords were doing these bags for pretty good price on trade recently. I've a bigger one with my cleaning stuff in it and another with tools that can be lifted from car to car. They don't seem to slide about at all which is great.

Nipped out 2 mins ago to see what's lurking in the back of the XJ6.

Aforementioned bag:

IMG_20190525_072202681.jpg

I also keep my Halfords advanced tool kit, jump starter, oil, coolant, compressor, etc in the boot.

IMG_20190525_072104205.jpg

In the Stanley bag is a impact gun and a battery angle grinder with half a dozen spare batteries.... because, Jag life 8o| :joy:

IMG_20190525_072130042.jpg

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
With taking the Lotus to it’s first track day last Sunday I quickly discovered that my trusty Halfords flight case tool kit wouldn’t fit. And was probably overkill too. So everything I thought I needed was thrown into a 5p bag for life as you do.

Needless to say I wanted a tidier solution and after some brief amazon-Ing this svelte Draper bag arrived. Quickly filled it with random crap and deposited in the Exige boot.

View attachment 237123

Who else has a go bag in their boot/car, what’s in it (tools/cleaning stuff/something more interesting!). Pics of course. Maybe give us all some ideas!
I use the AA

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Funny, there’s another thread about spending £160 on a boot liner, but I definitely prefer this!

Was actually thinking recently of making up like a rescue pack of tools and fittings to bury under the seat of each car, just for emergencies. Like multi tool, jubilee clips, cable ties, duct tape kind of thing.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
You can get emergency hoses and belts and stuff too. I tend to draw the line at that because before you know it you've a full boot lol

The AA/RAC has its place but in all but one breakdowns I've managed to get myself sorted before they've turned up, including two punctures at once and a breakdown on the strangford ferry with a bloody caravan on 😂

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
@Cooper , I’m hopefully going to be at the August Trackday and haven’t been before, what tools do you recommend bringing?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
@Cooper get yourself up to see @lightning at Denis Wilson’s and check our the CK Magma tool bags. I got a small 1 before Christmas as a present for the aul lad and it’s a great job. They bettered the prices I seen online too 🤙

CR

RMS Regular
Drives
A4 Avant
Not necessarily for the boot of the car but for any service techs out there. Veto Pro PAC bags are the Gucci/ Louis Vuitton of the trades.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
All I have is a tow rope, jump leads and extendable wheel brace 😂 never really thought about it until now

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
@Cooper get yourself up to see @lightning at Denis Wilson’s and check our the CK Magma tool bags. I got a small 1 before Christmas as a present for the aul lad and it’s a great job. They bettered the prices I seen online too
🤙
Ah it didn't even occur to me or I would certainly have done that! Ship sailed and I'm happy with my draper bag for the moment.

@Cooper , I’m hopefully going to be at the August Trackday and haven’t been before, what tools do you recommend bringing?

It really depends what you have space to bring. A tool kit like @Cartunes posted is excellent - halfords do a similar cheaper one for around £100 which has everything.

Jack, Water, Oil, Wheelbrace, Spanners, screwdrivers, Socket Set (1/4 and 1/2 if you have space), cable ties, gloves, fuses, pliers, wd40/lube, electrical tape, duct (or is it duck, is it a brand or to tape broken ducts) tape, allen keys and torx, spare brake pads. You can go mad with stuff you may never need, or you could be like @Coog who you might happen upon cutting the inner wheel arch out of a Jag on the hard shoulder of the M2.

Great thing about track days, especially the days that @V8 runs at kirkistown, is no matter what problem you have there are always plenty of knowledgeable people on hand to both help out if you have an issue but also to borrow stuff from. I bought brake pads once for my 335d from a phone number I acquired in the toilets at the 'ring. 😀

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Use a bag I got free from Seat
Filled with rubbish tow straps,rope,de-icer,booster packs and feck knows what else

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
No pics as I'm away from the cars this weekend but have a basic set of tools in most of the cars. I keep it sensible because really you are limited in what you can do at the side of the road.
In the Alfa, I have a pretty massive tool bag as it has normally been my 'away' car so I have enough spanners, sockets and pry bars etc to change suspension arms, droplinks or other bits and pieces like auxiliary belts etc. If I am staying in a friendly BnB, they usually don't mind as long as you find a quiet corner of the car park. I have the bag bungie'd into place in the left side of the boot in some vain effort not to upset the weight distribution. (Who am I kidding but it makes me feel better that I thought about it lol)

In the MX5, I have a small tool roll with as few spanners as possible and a set of pliers, pipe grips and cable ties. There is a roll of duck tape and a light impact driver in behind the drivers seat so we can be ready for a quick wheel change. I have the jack modified with a wheel nut welded onto it instead of the crank handle lug so we can buzz the car up quickly.

Tow ropes and jump leads in them all.

Edit: This is the mx5 boot packed with tent, sleeping bags, overnight bags and 2 spare wheels..
20180727_183716.jpg

Last edited:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I bought brake pads once for my 335d from a phone number I acquired in the toilets at the 'ring. 😀

I can only imagine your disappointment when you realised it was an actual ‘service department’ phone number and not that of someone offering you a service... 😂😂

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
I can only imagine your disappointment when you realised it was an actual ‘service department’ phone number and not that of someone offering you a service... 😂😂
Hi, I’m after some performance friction...

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
Aforementioned brake pads being fitted in the hotel car park! Exactly why you need tools on the go!
CCC5F3A2-C1FF-4F66-A239-8A71E6132471.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: IL

j44nty

RMS Regular
Wheel well of the jeep:
Torque wrench cause I’m anal about wheel nuts
1m breaker bar
Socket set
Cable ties
Pliers
Puncture repair kit. (Best idea ever used it already)
Bottle jack
Rope
Ratchet straps
Gorilla tape
Foot pump
12v compressor
2x shackles
Tow cable
Large padlock with keys (incase I have to secure the trailer)
Allen key set
Hi viz vest
Water proof trousers
Spanner set
Screw driver set
Gloves
1x axel stand
Impact sockets 😂
Large Bandages
First aid kit
Wind up radio
Torch
Baby wipes
Spare bulb set
Multi meter

I’d like to add a torx male and female set and a solder iron.

Pretty much anything I need for diy repairs.
19FEE5B7-7430-4FC4-B6AA-BB6CEC2851CD.jpeg

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
Wheel well of the jeep:
Torque wrench cause I’m anal about wheel nuts
1m breaker bar
Socket set
Cable ties
Pliers
Puncture repair kit. (Best idea ever used it already)
Bottle jack
Rope
Ratchet straps
Gorilla tape
Foot pump
12v compressor
2x shackles
Tow cable
Large padlock with keys (incase I have to secure the trailer)
Allen key set
Hi viz vest
Water proof trousers
Spanner set
Screw driver set
Gloves
1x axel stand
Impact sockets 😂
Large Bandages
First aid kit
Wind up radio
Torch
Baby wipes
Spare bulb set
Multi meter

I’d like to add a torx male and female set and a solder iron.

Pretty much anything I need for diy repairs.
View attachment 237217
Fantastic. You are a man ready for when things break for sure 😀

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Teng breaker bar with a 17, 19 and 21mm
Teng took kit
Screenshot_20190529-132213_Chrome.jpg

Insulation tape and cable ties
All stored under the floor then a bag with octane booster
Compressor
1ltr of oil and rag
Quick detailer and a cloth

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
Picked up a socket holder from Halfords and put an old 3/8” socket set in the bag. Also realised I had no mini fuses so eBay will ship me some of those, along with engine oil that I seemed to have every viscosity in the garage but the right one.

Thanks to all above some great lists - typically the thing I will actually need for the car won’t be in the bag but sure it’s a fun thing to waste a Sunday morning on 😀