What was the most depressing car you’ve owned?

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Often on here we all chat about old cars and stuff we loved, regret selling or still keep.

But.... what was the most depressing car you’ve ever owned?

I think we will all agree driving, our cars and the Bobbie/passion itself can really lift your mood, but in flip side it can have a negative impact too!!

So let’s get the photos and stories going, what’s the most depressing motor you’ve owned?

Mine is currently my little daily hyundia Getz. Dangerously slow, zero character and an honest death trap lol.

Thankfully I have the zed to balance out lol.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I used to drive my parents/brothers 1.7CDTI Astra

Had its purpose but not exactly a thrilling drive or nice place to be

Same with my brothers old 1.1 206, really really had to hoke that car to get it to go anywhere. Overtaking was a lottery

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Prob my first car, which was a 1.2 Corsa and couldn't pull the skin off custard. I added a GSi kit and various other things to enhance it and generally enjoyed having it, but by yr 3 I was really craving more power. Or any power.

After that I decided I'd always have something with a bit of shove in the back if not lots.

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
I don't technically own it but the other halfs Ford Focus is killing my love for driving.

It's meant to have 100hp but feels totally dead and it doesn't steer the best now it has over 100k on it.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
A mk5 golf 1.4 petrol....it was the most boring, tappety, dead thing i've ever driven, id say at best it had 50bhp and needed 3rd gear revving its tits off to make it up purdysburn hill. I think it lasted 6 months before I sold it and bought my current daily, the Mk1 Toyota avensis (sofa) 1.816v auto, perfect commuter car and the boot is like a cave.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I like to think, it's what you make of it.

All my cars have had their downsides but not have killed my love of driving.

Below listed are the downsides to all my cars

Rover 200 - really floaty at speed and very weak brakes
MK2 Golf 1.6 driver - horrendously slow
A load of Toyota company cars - not very exciting, loved my Petrol Aygo Sport even though it was slow.
Mondeo - as soft as *****, but so so comfy
Eunos - very little I don't love about it, needs more power
Tranporter - awesome van, but still a van
Passat - not very quick, hooky great. Competent
Insignia- very slow of the line for something with 210bhp. I actually really like the handling even though it's very heavy

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I don't think any of my cars have made me depressed as such, but I've had some unexciting ones.

Think the worst was a £400 Mk3 Golf 1.4CL, bought to literally drive to England and leave for 2 months in a carpark when I was away. It was so boring I had to knock one out on the M6 on the way down to keep me awake.

But after 2 months the wee car started first time, got me home then sold it again for £400 so not depressing at all really.

My wee Mini Clubman 1100 was depressing as it went through a head gasket every other week with me limiting it in 4th gear every journey at about 82mph which was annoying, but again its character and the amount of laughs it gave me made up for it lol.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
The most depressing car was the 156 2.4Jtdm because it was amazing in so many ways but just needed constant fixing due to abuse by the previous owner and design flaws helpfully designed in by Alfa. But when it was on song and sorted it was sublime. Who couldn't love a diesel that sounded like an original quattro, turbo chirps and all? So I sold it before it broke again. I check up on it the odd time with a dvla check and it appears to still be going strong 9 years after I sold it. Probably because I fixed EVERYTHING. More depression lol.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
I don't think any of my cars have made me depressed as such, but I've had some unexciting ones.

Think the worst was a £400 Mk3 Golf 1.4CL, bought to literally drive to England and leave for 2 months in a carpark when I was away. It was so boring I had to knock one out on the M6 on the way down to keep me awake.

But after 2 months the wee car started first time, got me home then sold it again for £400 so not depressing at all really.

My wee Mini Clubman 1100 was depressing as it went through a head gasket every other week with me limiting it in 4th gear every journey at about 82mph which was annoying, but again its character and the amount of laughs it gave me made up for it lol.
I remember certain man getting rid of a Skyline for a Bora that didn't last v long :p

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I remember certain man getting rid of a Skyline for a Bora that didn't last v long :p

Lol that also crossed my mind. The deal itself makes me depressed, not sure what i was thinking lol, but the wee hora shifted rightly and was good on fuel. Saw plenty action in it lol, so not too depressing at all 😂

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
My first 320D SE. Was just off the R plates and had been saving like ****. Was rough as a badger's arse but I was young and excitable so saw past it. Bought from some fella in Larne beside the docks.

Door had a huge dent in it so bought one from a fella outside Dundalk that was a terrible colour match but at least it was straight.

Then had someone drive into the side of me and wrecked the wing and the front left suspension. Another trip to the same fella to replace the wing (colour match terrible again).

Drove 240 miles for Msport suspension as mine was fooked and because racy lows.

And then the first MOT cost me £1200 in parts alone (wishbones, track rod ends, bushings and the handbrake shoes had been welded to the backing plates for some reason so that all had to be replaced which also meant new bearings...)

****ing hateful car. Steamed up like nobodies business too even with 4 of them tubs full of silicone balls hidden around it.

Still, nice pulling into the tech with a bimmer I bought myself.

Last edited:

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
.......... It was so boring I had to knock one out on the M6 on the way down to keep me awake.
Screenshot_20190524-131432_Chrome.jpg

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
Think I’ve won this whole thread with this one...

DEF85143-27FC-4C0D-8852-A500B61381D2.jpeg

1.4 daewoo lanos which I had to buy after someone rear ended my own car that day. it was the only local car I could afford with the £500 I could withdraw from the hole in the wall that night and I needed a car for work the next morning. It was basically a mk3 Astra underneath, it smelled funky, sounded like a hairdryer, and still is to this day the least economical car I’ve ever owned.

steeldevil

RMS Regular
Drives
Lexus IS300h
20150725_130001.jpg

This ball of ***** ^^

Questionable looks from the neighbours who probably thought I was a dealer of some sort
Basically a mondeo with LESS gadgets, drove horribly. Buckled wheels, parking sensors didn't work.
Map sensor sent it into limp mode at every opportunity, particularly on motorways and roundabouts.
Lost a fair wedge of money on it.

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
Ive had a serious amount of cars,all shapes n sizes and without a doubt the car i hated the most was a Dc5 type R. Such a pointless vehicle.

Gemma

RMS Regular
the e92 m3 lol such a love hate story....bear in mind that i have owned a 1.25 mk4 fiesta for near 3 years lol

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
Bought a 90hp tdi bora back in the day as I was desperate and couldn't find anything else worth buying. Full felt spec, slammed about 1" off the ground on seized coils and 15" wheels with undersize tyres, didn't lock, random engine lights, ruined interior and had been hit up the side. Most miserable vehicle I had ever bought, great buy :joy:

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
Rover 214, I bought for the missus to get in and out of work about 10 years ago.
Every morning there was something wrong with it.

Lee

RMS Regular
Ive had a serious amount of cars,all shapes n sizes and without a doubt the car i hated the most was a Dc5 type R. Such a pointless vehicle.

I'd be interested to hear why? I've never sat in one but thought they'd be alright.