Whats going on with MOT Availability at the moment?

Martyn

RMS Regular
My runaround was due MOT in feb. Booked a date last week and when I checked today MOT extended another 6 months.
Swiftly cancelled the date in Feb.

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
Happy days, the Boxster has just been extended again. Was due Aug 20, then Feb 21, now Aug 21. Planning to sell it in Spring so that's one less thing to worry about.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Maybe it's just me but I'd want a MOT on it vs an extension if I was buying.

PieMan1

RMS Regular
My thoughts exactly.

My cars in bad enough shape. never mind someone who isn't mechanically minded in any way. scary to think there is cars running about with 4 bald tyres and no pads .

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
I know what you're saying, but I moved house 3 weeks before Christmas, on and off furlough like a yo yo, toddler, etc etc (busy like everyone else) so not easy to plan. And it's not like the car has been neglected, it's not even done 2k since the last test, and in that time it's had a major service, water pump, 4 tyres, and full brakes all round...

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
My thoughts exactly.

My cars in bad enough shape. never mind someone who isn't mechanically minded in any way. scary to think there is cars running about with 4 bald tyres and no pads .

I'm sure it's not like that at all and would pass a MOT no problem. Its just having had a look at a few cars recently advertised with MOT extensions to X date I saw it as a negative rather than a positive.

ItsAdamC

RMS Regular
Drives
Baguettes

I'm exactly the same mate no way I'd buy a car at the minute. My car needs a few bits to pass an MOT but its perfectly safe, tyres, brakes, suspension etc all good, just needs an oxygen sensor and ABS sensor which will be fixed long before august. I see a lot of folk selling cars with "6 months MOT" when in reality it hasnt seen a test centre in a long time and is most likely an absolute dog 🙄

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
This boys certain the car will get another 6 months extension
7594637B-B834-47A6-BF94-26F31CF2D247.png

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
My car was showing as the 20th February on Saturday so I booked a test, looked this morning and it’s had a two month extension. Will that be automatically refunded or will the date stand if I do nothing? I’d rather just get the test done and out of the way

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
My car was showing as the 20th February on Saturday so I booked a test, looked this morning and it’s had a two month extension. Will that be automatically refunded or will the date stand if I do nothing? I’d rather just get the test done and out of the way

Keep your date then and get it MOT'd.

It will not automatically be cancelled.
MOTs are still going ahead.
It just seems a little random who gets extensions these days.
I MOTd the Smart in Dec 20 as it was running out and had no further extension applied.
My Leon is due in Feb 21, but checked there and it's been pushed to August 21😂

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4
After seeing the posts I thought I'd check the civic again this morning another 6 months extention on it, so rounded it up to 12 months!

Was starting to make tracks about prepping the car for mot too as it was due next month was going to give it a check over this weekend and see if I noticed anything that may need sorted etc and order the parts and book a date.

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
My is due 12th feb and hasn’t been extended. Not sure when it was originally motd as I’m to lazy to look through the paper work. Lol, I must get one booked for it.

design1

RMS Regular
mine was due 20th feb got 2 months this morning till 2nd april..thats exactly a year from mot due

Acrm

RMS Member
I went on ahead and booked mot for this Saturday after it was still not extended on the MOT checker site. I was phoned by the dva earlier and was offered refund and extension to May which will be a full year, not sure why it had to be 3 mini extensions to make up the full year in my case

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Got another extension on the E34 until September. That adds up to a full year extension. My dads car got the same.