Whats going on with MOT Availability at the moment?

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
X3 is still showing as 16th March :worried:.

You might want to get a test booked as the soonest we could get was a month out, in C/avon anyway. Not bothered about travelling to another centre as we dont need her car at the minute

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Cayenne was extended until 2022. Jag due in March which is 12 months extended from the original MOT so presumably needs to go in. MK2 also due in May after being extended and A4 was MOTd last year in August for the first time in NI so not sure what will happen with it.

'96dc2

RMS Regular
You might want to get a test booked as the soonest we could get was a month out, in C/avon anyway. Not bothered about travelling to another centre as we dont need her car at the minute
I would have thought any excuse to get out of Craigavon for a while would be good enough? 😂

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
I would have thought any excuse to get out of Craigavon for a while would be good enough? 😂

Sarcastic Laugh GIF by memecandy

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Lisburn had a few early March slots. Plenty of spots a month out so just went ahead and booked it in. Have right up until the day before to cancel so makes sense to at least reserve a spot now.

Bryan

RMS Regular
Trying to book MOT for my sister in law's car and it isn't bringing up any appointments within the next month in either Lisburn/Craigavon/Armagh. I was at the test centre the other day and it certainly didn't look like they were flat out.

Last edited:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Got a reminder letter through today for the XJ6, which was extended 12 months from March 2020 to 2021. Got a date in March no problem.

paddyirishman

RMS Regular
If you keep refreshing the page, some slots will pop up but you need to be quick. I booked the wifes on friday and it was mot'd on monday.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI

As above really

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
The 9-3 had its first MOT under my ownership this afternoon. Well, the exemption certificate ran out mid March, got my reminder & decided to check, couldn't find anything around that time so I went early. Got an appointment in Balmoral, in & out in 15 mins. Quite a slick operation. Brought wipes, cleaned the touch points & on my way. Passed too #phew

ShaunB

RMS Regular
was told today a year is as much as you get. after that the car needs motd once extension is up
I can also confirm this is definitely not true.
Daughters car MOT extended for another 6 months, that's then 18 months since last MOT.

Reactions: dub

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Recently checked the wife's CRV, another extension also. Bumped along to to Jan 22, bit mad!

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
I can also confirm this is definitely not true.
Daughters car MOT extended for another 6 months, that's then 18 months since last MOT.

my Astra is not due to June now. That’s 2 years since it seen a test centre by then.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
I think it's one year since mot expiry date, which would be 2 years since last at the test centre?

Thats how I've made sense of it anyway. My bm has been extended to Sept 2021, which is a year since the original cert expired and 2 years since last visit to the test centre. At the end of the day the extension is only to the expiry date of mot.

PDK

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E92 & E46
My car last had MOT 29th March 2019.

I’ve it booked for first week in April 2021.

I will have had 12 months exceptions in total.

scub

Banned
My car last had MOT 29th March 2019.

I’ve it booked for first week in April 2021.

I will have had 12 months exceptions in total.
was thinking the other day I can't even recall the last time I had an mot.
must be over a year.
take it we just hold tight till they notify us?

PDK

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E92 & E46
I heard on the news they are still extending cars 4-9 year old, not sure if this is beyond the initial 12 months. I just went ahead and booked it didn’t get a reminder just me being proactive.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
I got the letter through the door today to say my MOT was expiring 19th March and I needed to book an MOT. Went straight on there thinking it wouldn't be a bother at all getting an appointment.... bar one appointment in Craigavon on Sunday 7th March which was clearly a cancellation (next after that was 26th March I think) the earliest appointment I could get was Newtownards on 25th with most centres having nothing before April!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I heard on the news they are still extending cars 4-9 year old, not sure if this is beyond the initial 12 months. I just went ahead and booked it didn’t get a reminder just me being proactive.

I've a 7 year old Vespa that's been extended 18 months in total. All the rest of the stuff has had a year.
I got the letter through the door today to say my MOT was expiring 19th March and I needed to book an MOT. Went straight on there thinking it wouldn't be a bother at all getting an appointment.... bar one appointment in Craigavon on Sunday 7th March which was clearly a cancellation (next after that was 26th March I think) the earliest appointment I could get was Newtownards on 25th with most centres having nothing before April!

Aye slots are hard to get. I'd the MOT booked before the remainder letter came. It's going to be a disaster.

PDK

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E92 & E46
I booked my MOT on the 5th February.
Test date is 7th April.
Day before the expiry of the TEC.

scub

Banned
I'm thinking about just booking mine to see if they're looking for another test fee as the original has never been refunded!
plus pretty sure there's a shock hanging out at the front!