Whats going on with MOT Availability at the moment?

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Just checked the 911 there as it expired in January. Must have been extended in the last week or so, happy days!

Hopefully Clio gets the same

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
X3 is still showing as due mid March. I'm just burying my head in the sand and hoping it'll get extended. I don't want to risk booking 1 in case it draws their attention to it and then won't bother extending it!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Good plan, I'm sure plenty of cars on the road are out of test at this stage. Traffic branch have probably turned off the APNR's by now just to stop the bleeping. Sure your allroad has apnr fitted, doesn't it? Point it at the x3 and see if it's ok. No bleep = no problem. (y) (y)

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Just checked my own - the MOT was due in July. It's been extended until March 2022

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Had to take a car into MOT in Cookstown during the week.

Was pre-warned that the fail rate was sky high as the testers were ordered to start clawing back lost revenue.

Tester came out saying it failed as the middle seatbelt / lap belt wasn’t present (wasn’t connected and buckle was jammed between the bolsters) and he couldn’t connect it because he “wasn’t permitted to WORK on the car”.

I connected it and said “there ye go” but he said it would need a retest.

One trip to the manager’s office and I left shortly after with a pass certificate.

Just a pre-warning though!
Don’t give the c*nts any excuse whatsoever.

Last edited:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Had to take a car into MOT in Cookstown during the week.

Was pre-warned that the fail rate was sky high as the testers were ordered to start clawing back lost revenue.

Tester came out saying it failed as the middle seatbelt / lap belt wasn’t present (wasn’t connected and buckle was jammed between the bolsters) and he couldn’t connect it because he “wasn’t permitted to WORK on the car”.

I connected it and said “there ye go” but he said it would need a retest.

One trip to the manager’s office and I left shortly after with a pass certificate.

Just a pre-warning though!
Don’t give the c*nts any excuse whatsoever.

Not really difficult to have all the basics ready for them though.

It'd be interesting to see if crashes went though the roof from unroadworthy cars since all this started though.....I suspect not.

Although there is no doubt, people will be far less inclined to have their cars maintained because of it too.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I’ve noticed more posts from road police on bakebook of bald tyres. I don’t know if they’re detecting more or if they’re just posting it more to raise awareness.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Is there any truth in this?
If there is, how come it's not all over the news
It’s not something they’re gonna admit but the fail rate is definitely far higher so verbal memos have obviously been handed out.
This is coming from customers of mine who MOT 3-4 cars per day. They are all really pedantic fails too.

Not really difficult to have all the basics ready for them though.

It'd be interesting to see if crashes went though the roof from unroadworthy cars since all this started though.....I suspect not.

Although there is no doubt, people will be far less inclined to have their cars maintained because of it too.

Wasn’t my car - I was just running it up at short notice and I agree the basic stuff should be done but to fail a car on an unconnected lap belt is just being a jobsworth.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
So, just went to book an MOT for my mums car which was due this month. Hers has been extended until July and mine and my wife's are now Jan 2022. By then my wife's car won't of had an MOT for 2.5 years.

• Wow
Reactions: dub

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
It’s not something they’re gonna admit but the fail rate is definitely far higher so verbal memos have obviously been handed out.
This is coming from customers of mine who MOT 3-4 cars per day. They are all really pedantic fails too.

Wasn’t my car - I was just running it up at short notice and I agree the basic stuff should be done but to fail a car on an unconnected lap belt is just being a jobsworth.
TBF, I got a fail years ago because a belt anchor was under the rear seat after having put up the seats after cleaning it out for the test. He wouldn't let me sort it and the centre manager told me to FRO when I complained.
I just always made sure that the belts were latched before the car went in the door after that.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Took me 5 goes to MOT the Torpedo this year - all different faults each time, was severely pissed off with it
Test 1 failed because traction control light was on (only fault, and tbh I was chancing it anyway as I'd a fair idea they wouldn't like it!)
Test 2 failed because handbrake cable snapped in test
Test 3 failed because of brake imbalance on rear calipers
Test 4 (complete test again) failed because of rot on drivers side sill - rubber paint had chipped and stone/gravel had got in behind it, but tester thought it was "soft", peeled back paint to show him, but he said it needs a retest before he'd look at it
Test 5 passed eventually and all I really changed was 2 handbrake cables.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
TBF, I got a fail years ago because a belt anchor was under the rear seat after having put up the seats after cleaning it out for the test. He wouldn't let me sort it and the centre manager told me to FRO when I complained.
I just always made sure that the belts were latched before the car went in the door after that.
That was a bit tight to fail it on that! I'd a bonnet pull break in testers hand a few years ago and he told me I'd fail if the bonnet didn't open as he couldn't check battery etc, but gave me a couple of minutes to work at it and get it open, which I did.
I've always latched all belts in before the test out of habit for years...................never really thought about why until reading that!
Got date booked for my daily just as the tec runs out. Hope to have another that;'s been off the road for a few years ready shortly and would like to get a test a lot quicker for that!

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
I took a Noble MC12 for a test years back and didn't have a screwdriver to open the dzus fasteners on the rear clam.

Thankfully they were servicing some of the kit in the next lane so got the lend of a screwdriver for that (not that the tester was in any way inclined to be helpful). Fair enough the 'bonnet' has to open but still 😂

Deckz

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
Hit and miss with available dates at the moment.

I logged on Sunday night at 7pm to book one in, got Cookstown for 10.30 yesterday lol.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
There's a load on there at the minute for this Sunday in Mallusk for anyone looking. Whole days worth

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
There's a load on there at the minute for this Sunday in Mallusk for anyone looking. Whole days worth
I've noticed them doing this a lot, not sure whether they unofficially hold some back for traders etc and then release at short notice.
Hopefully can get a quick one when I've this heap ready......hopefully in next couple of weeks!

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I've noticed them doing this a lot, not sure whether they unofficially hold some back for traders etc and then release at short notice.
Hopefully can get a quick one when I've this heap ready......hopefully in next couple of weeks!

Yeah I should've booked one but wanted one for today or tomorrow. Now can't get anything 😂 Will keep trying, mess of a system

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Is there a way of finding out availability without entering car info ?
Mum could only get an appointment a week after it expires and they said to ring to check for cancellations but i thought I'd keep an eye on line for her. When I type in her info i just says its already booked in.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Mum could only get an appointment a week after it expires and they said to ring to check for cancellations but i thought I'd keep an eye on line for her. When I type in her info i just says its already booked in.
You used to be able to do that and reschedule as I've done it before and moved to a date the next day, then quickly went back in and got my original appointment time for another car. You did have to enter the ref number and last 4 from chassis number afailk

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything

Go to change your appointment rather than trying to book a new test.
Will be able to see availability, and if it suits change it straight away.

PieMan1

RMS Regular
absolute bucket load of dates just up .

Only saying as I've spent the past couple of days trying to get a decent date & location.