Whats going on with MOT Availability at the moment?

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane
I have always offset my MOT and tax by 6 months to prevent the situation that has occured here.

Maybe this has already been covered, but:

Anyone who had this set up may now need to revisit it.

My cars MOT's were due Feb and March 2022, the online vehicle status shows that these have now been extended out to July and August, bringing tax and MOT together for one of these.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Maybe this has already been covered, but:

Anyone who had this set up may now need to revisit it.

My cars MOT's were due Feb and March 2022, the online vehicle status shows that these have now been extended out to July and August, bringing tax and MOT together for one of these.
Just checked mine. Still 6 months apart (if I don't get yet another mot extension)

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
E8F97AEE-6BD6-4960-A12C-ACE5D66F78D0.jpeg

Booked online lastnight got in for this morning 😎

TheLarneMan

RMS Regular
Drives
205GTI GolfR
Lucky you, I booked the Anni in, 29th November, paid, got kicked out of the system so didn't get any booking details, rang this morning, got the reference number, went back on to try and change it, "Unable to retrieve appointment " 🤣🤣🤣

Yep, exactly the same as me

MagicRat

RMS Regular
Drives
JapScrap
A tale of two MoTs.

I took the wife's car for MoT last Tuesday in Downpatrick and arrived 15 minutes early. No other cars waiting, just me. After 5 minutes a black SUV comes around from the back of the MoT centre, tester gets out and hands over to the old guy sitting waiting outside the reception area. He then takes the wife's car in for the test. As he opens the roller shutter door I can see in and realise that he's working solo, not another person in sight. He reappears about 15 minutes later, car has passed. Nobody is queued up waiting to be tested next. I anti bac the car and another SUV arrives so the same tester takes it. So midweek one lane operating with one MoT employee. Hardly flat out to get the backlog down.

Yesterday I took the sister-in-law's car for MoT in Downpatrick. Arrived 15 minutes early and joined a queue of about a dozen cars. Two lanes operating and about 8 MoT employees working their way through them. Double time on a Sunday lads?

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
I forgot to take the S80 to its MOT last week - the whole lot of us got that puke and sh*tting bug last week so MOT'ing the car wasn't at the front of my mind so much as the previous night's dinner was at the forefront of my face.

Went to book a new test on Sunday night and earliest appointment was 14th December.

Logged in to the new system on Monday morning and few last minute appointments showing. Came away thinking the new system is surprisingly good. Was nice that it shows the earliest dates at each venue in the drop down box. Handy if you've a few test centres nearby.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
So after the drama of the fog light placement on the DC5 last time at Larne, I finally got to a full test at Mallusk this evening (I did have a previous one only the battery was knackered and missed it). And?

Passed without so much as a mentioned of the fog lights. Not so much as an advisory either.

Yet more evidence that no good comes out of Larne. 😋

scub

Banned
So after the drama of the fog light placement on the DC5 last time at Larne, I finally got to a full test at Mallusk this evening (I did have a previous one only the battery was knackered and missed it). And?

Passed without so much as a mentioned of the fog lights. Not so much as an advisory either.

Yet more evidence that no good comes out of Larne. 😋
have had a few inconsistencies out of mot centres over the years.
i had a retest (passed) today & guy never mentioned the fact that my speedo reads kms even though the computer reads mph.
but last year before covid bloke said that was a fail. (it failed on something else & he didn't mention it on that years retest).
must depend if they got their hole the night before!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Happy days! Used Malusk quite a lot, never had problems there. Balmoral usually ok too.

The km/miles thing is a head melter... In England anything past ten years old doesn't need any of the conformance stuff. But here they still insist on mph clocks and whatnot even on old cars where you can't actually get parts any more 🙈

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Happy days! Used Malusk quite a lot, never had problems there. Balmoral usually ok too.

The km/miles thing is a head melter... In England anything past ten years old doesn't need any of the conformance stuff. But here they still insist on mph clocks and whatnot even on old cars where you can't actually get parts any more 🙈

England doesn't have a land border with a country that uses metric kilometers etc though

Mph is supposed to be the main display here, with kph also being available.

Although no idea if cars down south need kph as their main display, with mph also being available ? If they even do any checks on cars down there.

scub

Banned
my auld v70 mutt wagon's dash fascia is kms.
but the wee trip comp can be switched to mph.
yet I've had both legal & illegal opinions from the same mot centre testers.
in fact the 1st time I mot'd it the guy pulled me & I said so how come it passed the last 6 tests before I got it...
nowt as strange as folks! 😆

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Although no idea if cars down south need kph as their main display, with mph also being available ? If they even do any checks on cars down there.
They don't. My buddy buys all his vehicles in England and registers them at his address in Dublin. All of them retain the oem MpH clocks

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Strange problem here guys. Booking an MOT for my Aunt's wee yaris, and I checked the mot checking site in the Gov. Uk site - the due date was shown as 29th November 2021.

Went onto the booking system, and entered the reg and last 4 digits of the chassis number, and it says the MOT isnt due to expire until 31 December 2021.

First appointment available near to my Aunt's home is 5th January 2021.....

So, I decided to book Mots for my focus (due 3rd Feb) and my wife's A5 (due 21st January) - but you're not allowed to book an appointment more than 3 months before the MOT is due........

Collage_20211015_221852.jpg

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Checked tonight and got tomorrow AM for wife’s car. Not due for a fortnight but was only date between now and 2022 in Newtownards centre at this stage lol

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Did you do the new keeper thing at the dvla site when you sold the car? You should have received a written confirmation.

Make sure they don't still have you as registered keeper!