Whats going on with MOT Availability at the moment?

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
£60 if I’d known that I’d never have bothered with all that welding on the 9000. I’m sure this could be an excuse for car insurance companies not to pay out, yes the police may give leniency if you’re out of mot but they might not.

A lot of insurers don't care about an MOT, they just knock a percentage of the payment.

If the car was faulty it might be a different story though.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Off topic but my friend has just bought a car from scotland, mot is up next month and when trying to book it in it says they have no details of the car on they're system. Anyone know what it could be? Is it just because the car hasnt been registered here yet or what?

Just incase if that the car is 3 years old then once registered here it should't need MOT'd until next year.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Only £60 in NI
That's why I was hoping for a reply from someone who actually had got caught. I knew it was £60 but just to settle the others in this thread.

It's hardly worth worrying about for £60. Book it, drive on.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
What about insurance in accident though, would it not be invalid if no mot?

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Out of curiosity Dave what was the penalty? Just there seems to be a lot of misinformation regarding it in this thread so would be good to hear first hand.

£60, no points and the cop made sure to make me look like a t**t in front of my boss who was in the passenger seat (and rightfully so, I was a proper t**t to let it expire) 🙈

I thought I got off really lightly to be honest but I think the next stage up from the £60 fine is to impound the car so there is a massive leap in the penalty there. It was a genuine mistake in my case, but for a £60 fine, I can see why so many cars are running about with no MOT.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I got my reminder last week, tells me my MOT expires July 15th. Remembered this thread so I thought I would check straight away for the earliest available.

July 19th.

It’s not the daily so not bothered by a few days but jeez, there's something badly wrong with the MOT system here at the moment.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA

It’s not correct

If it was then the police would also issue the points and fine for no insurance

All insurance policies I have read simply state the vehicle must be in roadworthy condition - an MOT is not proof of this and lack of MOT is also not evidence it isn’t roadworthy

Think about those folks who make sure they change aspects of the car to pass MOT - changing to narrower wheels, raising suspension etc. They could be deemed unroadworthy and therefore uninsured despite having an MOT if when they change it back it causes it to be unroadworthy

On the flip side think of somebody who has a car in a condition that would pass an MOT but happens to be late at doing so - their car is still roadworthy and therefore insured

Screenshot from my insurance below where it outlines roadworthy condition but not MOT. MOT proves roadworthy condition only at the time of the test and that is clearly stated on the certificate

E0996D26-E502-4D0E-8428-6C10DADD665F.png

Last edited:

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
@davecoupe cheers for the openness Dave. I know what you mean regarding the boss situation. Even if he didn't take it overly serious I'm sure you'll get the odd dig about it.

At the moment im sure you're not the only one in this situation.

Gemma

RMS Regular
Playing MOT roulette this morning. Went from 20th July, to 16th and got a wee sneaky 11th in there...that'll do me...

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Good luck to anyone hoping for insurance to pay out if your MOT has lapsed regardless of fault.

It happens every day. Unless the car was actually unroadworthy and they want to claim that contributed to the accident.

And if you’re driving a car in that state then you deserve a kick up the brown anyway.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Good luck to anyone hoping for insurance to pay out if your MOT has lapsed regardless of fault.

As above, the guys insurance fixed my dads car. Unfortunately it was a Peugeot 408 that I was hoping would be written off.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
I stand corrected.

What's this then? Taken from my directline policy document.

Without a current MOT, your car insurance would become invalid. Not having a valid MOT certificate is illegal under Section 47 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and you run the risk of facing a £1,000 fine and a charge of six to eight penalty points on your licence by driving without one.

Not only that but if you have an accident and don’t have an up-to-date MOT certificate, you’ll be liable to cover the costs.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
As above, the guys insurance fixed my dads car. Unfortunately it was a Peugeot 408 that I was hoping would be written off.
Im not saying you are wrong as I genuinely don't know the position of insurers but they will always cover the 3rd party damage caused by their driver - they may not cover the damage to their own drivers car.

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
I stand corrected.

Without a current MOT, your car insurance would become invalid. Not having a valid MOT certificate is illegal under Section 47 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and you run the risk of facing a £1,000 fine and a charge of six to eight penalty points on your licence by driving without one.

Not only that but if you have an accident and don’t have an up-to-date MOT certificate, you’ll be liable to cover the costs.

That means directline won't cover if you're mot is invalid. Doesn't everyone else's ploicy is the same.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
I stand corrected.

As @Phil_EK9 says this is something specific to your policy, mine clearly doesn’t have the same statement

I’ve also never held insurance that states what your Directline policy does but then I’ve also never been insured by Directline

redanni

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 R / MK2 RS
Finally got mine updated from middle of July to Monday here at 09:25, been trying all week and nothing so was kinda on the sweat a bit 8o|

Gaz86

RMS Regular
I work round the corner from Mallusk MOT centre, when I'm leaving around 4pm every day I look over and the hall is either empty of damn near empty! I've been worked working up here just over a year and it always looks that way. Can't speak for other centre's but I'd be trying that one