Whats going on with MOT Availability at the moment?

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayman S
The 172 went through today, first time, no advisories. Well chuffed with it.

wes

RMS Regular
They've advertised working sundays, but heard today they are balloting for work to rule and strike action over pay negotiations so doubt the sundays will last long. Mines up next month sometime

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
They've advertised working sundays, but heard today they are balloting for work to rule and strike action over pay negotiations so doubt the sundays will last long. Mines up next month sometime

Work to rule
Hurraaahhhh. Get Don Pitt lad.
Boils my head. What century are they in.

martybelfastsri

RMS Regular
Drives
all sorts
dvla also cancel your tax now after a while i let a car lapse due to buying from uk no reminder paying tax monthly got a big red letter stating mot or sorn car before start of following month as they would allow it to be taxed due to lapse of mot

j44nty

RMS Regular
Reminds me of the time child support agency were under similar pressure. When forced to work Sunday to clear the backlog they took it as time off in lieu and then took every Monday off with the time but as Sunday was double (single time and single pay) they got an extra days pay so no extra work took place but they gained a days pay a week. Silly service in action.

Reactions: wes

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Strangely, I've heard from quite a few that despite all these backlogs and long waiting dates....many have been to MOT their vehicles and the centres are half empty.

Seems a massive **** up with the actual booking system or process ?

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
Strangely, I've heard from quite a few that despite all these backlogs and long waiting dates....many have been to MOT their vehicles and the centres are half empty.

It’s been stated here too, that they’re booked up months in advance and yet 10 slots available on the day in some cases, it’s a shambles although I never have any bother tbh

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!

This is what makes me think there is a an overtime ban, but also the centres are operating split shifts so the centres are not actually closed at tea breaks, so it is possible at the times these people have been up has been when the split over tea times, so only 1 or 2 men per lane instead of the 3 or 4 depending on the centre sizes.

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayman S
Now you mention it, the lanes were empty on Friday at 11:50am when I landed down. I was chatting to the guy and he said the overtimes there if they want it but it just becomes groundhog day. They're just understaffed, that's in Lisburn anyway.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Must have been a few have moved on then, I left nearly 4 years ago and at that time there was no space in the shed for overtime as all lanes where full everyday and all centres were at capacity. Only time you got overtime was if someone was off on leave or sick

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I've had a couple recently, both had a 6 week-ahead booking time but I just checked for cancellations online and got a couple within a day or two of booking it.

As said though, when I got to the MOT centre there were only 2 cars there for the entire time I was there.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I MOT'd a car on Friday evening at 8pm.

Wouldnt have said it was overly busy, but there were 2 lanes operating. Although I'd guess 8pm is near the end of the day anyway

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
The booking works at 20 min intervals per person working, so if 4 men on a lane, 4 cars every 20 mins, works out at 31 cars per person per day, if only 1 person working only 1 car coming every 20 mins. Retests get a 10 min appointment so if you come at retest time there can be up to 8 cars (or more) waiting for test. Ive seen Ards centre queued to the gates when the shed is full on a Saturday.
Just because it doesn't look busy dosn't mean that one person has less work to do.
Yeah, last appointments vary per centre, usually a retest at the end of the night and its usually one before the last, 8pm is usually the last full test for the day

As a matter of interest, I was on this morning looking for a date and the current availability was 2nd Aug, I just tried again now and its up to 7th Aug, I doubt Sunday opening is even going to touch the sides

adzy

RMS Regular
Drives
Glanza V
Just got a cancellation there for half 9 in the morn. Only issue now is the car still needs a few things done before I go and I’m currently on night shift :joy:

Ah well least there won’t be a 2 month wait for a retest.

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
Received letter today, due on 10th August, soonest available is 16th, other centres at 21st. That's like 9 weeks! Gone are the times of booking a test a week or 2 in advance in case it needs anything...

Personally not too bothered as its just the weekend car and know il get a cancellation, but doesn't give you any choice of getting a day and time that actually suits.

white sport

RMS Regular
Drives
cosmic ep3
Best way to get a cancellations ? online or phone ? Booked mine yesterday next date is 14th August mine up end of the month