Whats going on with MOT Availability at the moment?

AidanMcG

RMS Regular
Drives
6R
Im sure the testers are happier without members of the public walking about inside and sitting watching their every move. Id be surprised if it ever goes back to the way it was.

And the reception area was open in Mallusk for those who didnt want to stand outside.
Just need to get proper waiting rooms set up like they have in the south. You also don’t see any of the testers beforehand. Instead you book in with reception and leave your keys there

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Anyone know the story with aftermarket non airbag steering wheels and MOT? I’ve one fitted to the 182 and wondering if I need to stick the oem wheel back on for test?

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Done loads on the 155s and the MX5, not had any questions or issues. Main thing is that the light goes out with the right delay, so as long as you've the resistor fitted, all is good.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Done loads on the 155s and the MX5, not had any questions or issues. Main thing is that the light goes out with the right delay, so as long as you've the resistor fitted, all is good.
Yeh all good then. Happy days

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
Im sure the testers are happier without members of the public walking about inside and sitting watching their every move. Id be surprised if it ever goes back to the way it was.

And the reception area was open in Mallusk for those who didnt want to stand outside.

Never seen any harm in walking over to a chair and waiting tbh, hardly putting them under pressure.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
You’re walking through at least one active lane over the top of sunken lifts and rollers to sit in a building with moving vehicles. I was surprised it was ever allowed in the first place. Go to any big garage / main dealer and cross the threshold into the workshop, you’ll soon get told to GTFO.

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
In Armagh you got out a certain point, no pits or lifts anywhere near the walk lane and you seat in an area with a wee barrier, still don’t see the issue tbh.

eamon343

RMS Regular
I just cant see anyone who works in an mot center looking forward to having members of the public back into the building. Health and safety aside, just sitting there watching them go about their work and taking sneaky pictures of their cars on the ramps

Dmills99

RMS Regular
I just cant see anyone who works in an mot center looking forward to having members of the public back into the building. Health and safety aside, just sitting there watching them go about their work and taking sneaky pictures of their cars on the ramps
I find it rather interesting see the data from the brake tests and shock absorber test on there screens, and when your sitting watching you might even get a call to come over and view a defect on your car and understand why you’ve been pulled on it. Just my opinion tho

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
I find it rather interesting see the data from the brake tests and shock absorber test on there screens, and when your sitting watching you might even get a call to come over and view a defect on your car and understand why you’ve been pulled on it. Just my opinion tho

same with me, saying that the car is out quicker now so probably doing a half assed job as you can’t see what they are at now 🤣

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
In Armagh you got out a certain point, no pits or lifts anywhere near the walk lane and you seat in an area with a wee barrier, still don’t see the issue tbh.

I’ve been asked to get out at the exhaust analyser and ‘watch the rollers’, have been on it till it was on the ramp, have driven cars off the ramp myself and about 100 combinations in between tbh.

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
Yea works for car heads but majority of the public have no idea what the mot tester is pointing out and just nod and smile

eamon343

RMS Regular
Sure they’ve dash cams to record this now 🤦🏻‍♂️😂🤦🏻‍♂️

And to post on tiktok after 😁

I agree, i lile that too and like watching them go through. But im just looking at it from the testers pov, they dont care what you enjoy

jimc

RMS Regular
Drives
caddy
Went through mot today for a retest about lunch time,all doors open maybe 6 cars inside and myself and another outside there was 4 testers standing chatting in the last lane and 3 standing talking in and another lane.

they didn't look stressed

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
I see the test dates are starting to creep in to December! Holy moly!

The Supra's MOT is due in a couple of weeks. Got a date a while back for the middle of November. Thought I'd find a cancellation but frig me, I've been trying all week at different times of the day, but no luck yet.

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
I see the test dates are starting to creep in to December! Holy moly!

The Supra's MOT is due in a couple of weeks. Got a date a while back for the middle of November. Thought I'd find a cancellation but frig me, I've been trying all week at different times of the day, but no luck yet.
It is the luck of the draw most times. I was on the other night and after a pile of refreshing I got one for my mum this Saturday.

alexf557

RMS Regular
Drives
aul scrap
any of you know the legality of buying a car with no MOT in england and booking one here to drive home for?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
You still need a valid MoT to tax the car. And you still need tax paid to keep the car on a public road. Never mind drive it.

And you can't tax with a "booking letter". It needs a valid MoT on the DVA database.

So I reckon you're snookered.

Best option is probably to get an MoT in England. Failing that it's probably going to have to be transported.

The whole "drive with a booking" is a big grey fog even here anyway.

I doubt very much police in England accept a home printed "booking" from here... But I don't know that for a fact. I've tried to find out as I do a lot of driving in England but no definitive answer so far.

In England there is a provision to drive on for a couple of weeks past expiry. But that's more to deal with retests and such.

alexf557

RMS Regular
Drives
aul scrap
ah i'm well snookered then as the MOT ran out in 2020, it would've been easy tested but someone yoinked the cat and battered the rear glass

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Nothing in the rules about driving to the MOT centre nearest you. So technically it should be OK. I wouldn’t risk it though.

Why not just book an appointment at a Halfords or similar near to where the car is for the sake of £30

crx

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda
Trying to mot the Mercedes before selling it and the first available appointment local to me is December 🤦

karl7900

RMS Regular
Drives
Touareg 3.2 V6
Trying to mot the Mercedes before selling it and the first available appointment local to me is December 🤦

MOT for the Vectra is due on the 18th August. Closest I could get was 12th September in Ards. Booked not 10 minutes ago. Everywhere else was December. Tried Downpatrick, Balmoral and Lisburn before booking with Ards