Whats it worth Nova sport twin 40s on irmscher manifold

56oval

RMS Regular
As the title. I was asked by a friend what he thinks a pair of 40 dcoes is worth in rebuildable condition. It later transpired that they were from a Nova Sport and the come with the Irmscher manifold, no airbox.

As a rule i would have suggested 350 euro for the carbs alone that are in need of fully going through and rebuilding.

However, now its been confirmed they are from a nova sport with the period and correct manifold, that valuation goes out the window.

Anyone have any idea of a guide price before he considers auction?

Many thanks.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
I run my sr on twin 40s no airbox dont think the manifold was anything special other than suiting the webbers fitment

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yeah, trumpets are jammed against the bulkhead but it seems to work ok, the airbox just allowed the inlet to be routed to a cooler area of the bay.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Yes i remember running short trumpets and they just cleared the bulkhead. Those wee 1.3 engines sound mighty on full chat. Then the red light in a circled motion in the middle of the road, window down.... “acting the wag son” “no officer”

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
From memory a set went on e-bay a while back with manifold for about the £750 range. I loved the grunt of mine too and fuel was cheap back then thank god because boy could she drink it 😂

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
@Wild Thing The Joy's of running carbs on a road car lol.
I ran an MG1600 engine and carbs (40 DCNFs) in my completely standard looking 1.3L Maestro, complete with 2 tone oyster gold and grey paint, Montego steel wheels and trims etc to make it look inconspicuous.
One night we were coming back from Enniskillen late on on the old road between Augher and Ballygawley, I was following a bloke in an XR2i, wife in the passenger seat, 3 wee kids in the back and a small trailer on. We were keeping a decent pace but I knew an overtake was possible where the road opened up at the last real bend so gave it full beans in third and went by him. At the next junction just before the roundabout, there was a police & army checkpoint (early 90s) and i was coasting down thinking "I'm fecked here, they've bound to have seen or definitely heard it". The wife was verbalizing exactly the same with added 'I told you so' vibes. I pulled up and the cop leant down and looked in the back at the kids etc, asked the usual questions and then asked if the lad behind me was giving me hassle going down the road which I said no, not really. He seemed keen to have a chat with him rather than me and waved me on. I had to try and pull away without making any snorty noises which was difficult but yer man was so busy pulling the lad out of the XR2 that he wouldn't have heard me anyway lol.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I run my sr on twin 40s no airbox dont think the manifold was anything special other than suiting the webbers fitment

Manifold is nothing special apart from the fact it has "Irmscher" stamped on it.

As for value, its hard to tell. What I can say is the last set I bought was £500 needing rebuilt, and that would be 7/8 years ago, without manifold. Bound to be talking the £750 - £1k region for all now.

56oval

RMS Regular
OP
56oval
Manifold is nothing special apart from the fact it has "Irmscher" stamped on it.

As for value, its hard to tell. What I can say is the last set I bought was £500 needing rebuilt, and that would be 7/8 years ago, without manifold. Bound to be talking the £750 - £1k region for all now.
That was my thoughts on price tbh. Used 40s/45swith a manifold usully make near the 500 mark. Although the manifold is nothing special its still part of the setup and would make it reasonably desireable to the right person. He picked them up at a swap meet 10 years ago for 50 quid 🤣

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

Much like other parts with specific brands...if someone is doing a proper restoration etc. they will pay big money for the correct parts, even if they might be otherwise identical to generic brand name stuff.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Much like other parts with specific brands...if someone is doing a proper restoration etc. they will pay big money for the correct parts, even if they might be otherwise identical to generic brand name stuff.

I'm not that well versed on carbs, but there is something about the 40's that came on a Nova Sport that makes them hard to set up. A standard set if 40's actually make it a nicer car to drive, but the originals still command a hefty premium.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I'm not that well versed on carbs, but there is something about the 40's that came on a Nova Sport that makes them hard to set up. A standard set if 40's actually make it a nicer car to drive, but the originals still command a hefty premium.

It was the same with the carbs that came on early alfas, fiats and other stuff like Sunbeam H120 rapiers etc.