Whats To Get Grime And Grease Off Windscreen

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

johnm

RMS Regular
bumped an old thread in the tech section but probably not the best place for it. So got new wiper blades (rubbish, too flexible but still alot better than the old ones) and have cleaned the screen with everything I can think off as it had a greasy residue and could not see straight in the rain.
I've tried a couple of cleaners and even gave a strong mix of bilt hambers surfex hd a go. But its still greasy.

Bar taking 1500/2000 grit to this bloody thing is there anything else I can try?

Cheers folks

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
People will suggest fancy products but a £1.20 bottle of coca cola and a light rub with a cloth will work, followed quickly by a good wash with warm water to get all the sticky coke off.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Fairy liquid is designed to cut through grease. Vinegar would also be worth a try and use newspaper.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Bottle of ordinary window cleaner spray and a paper towel/newspaper to clean. If that doesn't work then there's either oil in your washer bottle, your mates are WD40ing your windscreen at night or your wiper blades need upgrading to Bosch boyos.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
I put a new set of Valeo blades on my car the other day, it's surprising how you slowly get used to crap wipers until someone points out to you that they're knackered!

As Coog suggested, I also just use bog standard Turtle Wax glass cleaner on mine, about £3 from any motor factor.

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
Grand, i'll give the coke and the fairy liquid a blast...along with getting proper blades.
If that doesn't work then I'm taking the windscreen out and going commando with swimming goggles on

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
Indian Pale Ale? lol..

Would it not do less of a job in removing grease that the surfex though? I used a heavy concentrate of it and let it sit on it too.Tried the fairy liquid, no joy. tried cleaning old wipers and put back on, thinking if after bosch's if its still the same, try new wiper arms. Maybe it might just be the contact? I duno.

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
vinegar and news paper, Glass cutter and RainX are what I use when mine gets totally gummed up with crap.

I read some of the guys on the ameriacn focus forums using 000grade wire wool and vinegar to remove the crap too.

dontforget to run the vinegar/rainx over the wiper blades too, 3 or 4 passes on each blade really removes some amount of *****.

tim

RMS Regular
Alcohol, Thinners or a Tar and Adhesive Remover like Tardis will remove just about anything like you are talking about.

Claying your windscreen also works wonders to improve the smoothness of your wipers, and a proper coating such a Gtechniq G1 to finish! (y)

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Petrol on a rag will clean it properly, then hose it off and clean it with AutoGlym Car Glass & Window Polish. Always works a treat for me, be it a windscreen or a visor...

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
IPA would sort it

IPA is great stuff. If you want really really clean windows get a hold of some acetone. Not sure how the paint on your car would like it if you got it on it but bugger me it leaves stuff clean!

Jason MacQ

RMS Regular
G3 and new bosch supers twice a year.
Make your washer bottle mix a bit stronger too to reduce the build up.

M@tt B

RMS Regular
Drives
200sx S14
Yes i could do with doing this on the s14. When its wet and the lights are hitting the window it becomes annoying. Let me know what you find the best (y)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.