Wheel Sealant

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
Ok I want to seal the wheels on the Tiguan while they are still new.

I have looked at raceglaze, poor boys and carbon collective.

I’m not interested in ceramic coating them so what have you used and recommend?

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
OP
J
I used auto finesse caramics for wheels (Halfords) on mine in September, it’s been superb, spray on, buff off, it’s made cleaning much easier and still going strong

That’s what I want to hear lol easy applied and lasts a while. Not expecting years but a decent time length.

MarkM

RMS Regular
That’s what I want to hear lol easy applied and lasts a while. Not expecting years but a decent time length.

To be totally fair though it’s not my daily, but I’ve still been impressed with it, enough in the bottle for at least a few applications too

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
I'll second the Auto Finesse Caramics , it's not that different using a sealant or wax. Completely clean the wheel and dry. Spray on and off the prep spray , then spray on and spread the coating , then buff off.

I did 2 sets of wheels and a wing mirror (just as a test) and still have some left of the kit ! Bought 2 kits as i thought it would take one per set of wheels but haven't even opened the 2nd.

Up till now i used Poorboys Wheel Sealant which is also good.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Carbon Collective gets a great reputation.

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
There are a couple of good options aside from ceramic coating. Wowo's Crystal Sealant is reasonably easy to apply, and gives good protection. And old one, but a good one is Finish Kare FK1000P high temperature paste wax. I haven't used it myself, but have read great reports of durability and protection on alloy rims.

Cheers

Cooks

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Gtechnique C5 for wheels if you have time to take them off and let it cure

I have some old "mint rims" by Auto Finesse which I will put on the Q5 for now

Statler

RMS Regular
Drives
Slowly ;-)
Poor boys wheel sealant then a couple of coats of RimWax is the best I’ve come up with.

The Jag is really hard on brake pads so it dumps tons of dust on the black wheels and it sticks like glue, so I use Bilberry every time I wash the car and the sealant/wax combo has stood up to it very well.

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
I know you said you dont intend to ceramic coat the wheels, but it's definitely worth considering. I did the wheels on my 3 series when new with Nasiol ZR53, and I've never had to use any chemicals bar normal wash shampoo. Wheel cleaners will also accelerate corrosion to hubs and calipers.
Just a thought.
Cooks

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
I used Geyon Rim on my winters and the Mini summer wheels as well as the backs of my S3 wheels and still have probably a third of the bottle left. Easy to apply and let them cure of 24 hours, job done. It’s as easy as any other wheel coating. I’ve Gtechniq C5 and EXO on the fronts of my S3 wheels and it gives a class glossy finish that’s handy to clean.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Gyeon Rims. Hands down the best I've used when it comes to wheel sealant. Super way to use too.

MarkP

RMS Regular
Drives
zafira :-(
Does wheel sealants act any differently to ordinary products? I've put Nattys blue paste wax on my new alloys and they seem good.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Does wheel sealants act any differently to ordinary products? I've put Nattys blue paste wax on my new alloys and they seem good.
Think its more heat resistant but not sure. I'm sure some will say it's better but i always feel some of these products are just a way of getting you to buy more stuff.
Like you don't get just shampoo now , there's citrus pre wash , traffic film remover, all purpose cleaner.
Not sure why a wheel sealant can't just be normal sealant, or even just a wax have sealant in it.