Wheel Sealants

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Topmark

RMS Regular
BBS's CH's - just a regular finish, i.e NOT chrome or anything out of the ordinary.

Will have a closer look at some of the products mentioned above, but can someone explain to a complete novice with wheels and sealant... how do you actually go about applying it? What's the best process and what do you use?

Thanks

Anyone? :party:

Neil_M

RMS Regular
IMO treat it like the painted finish that they commonly are.

Clean, polish, seal / wax.

Many of the specific products will have their own instructions.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
There are official videos on YouTube for Gyeon Rims. It's pretty simple though.

Properly clean wheels.
Wipe down wheels with IPA to ensure grease free.
Apply product using cloths provided.
Leave 5 mins or so and wipe off excess.
Then keep dry and clean for 24 hours (ideally don't move car).

NS Autocare

RMS Regular
Drives
Quite a bit
As @Paddy_R says above ^^^

You want the wheels full cleansed, claying it as well, this is the most crucial step!

Product application, some vary so read the instructions. But majorette are apply and wipe off, then remember to keep them unused for 24 hours, this allows proper adhesion and without it can mean a product can fail.

So get it done before the wheels are on the car :grinning:

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
I sealed mine yesterday with Auto Finesse Mint Rims. Time will tell how durable it is but it smells so good !

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
Thread revival!

Bought new wheels for the Megane and looking to have them sealed before putting them on the car. I've done a bit of reading, including this thread, but can't decide on what to use. I've read good reports on Carbon Collective Platinum Wheels / Gtechniq C5, Gyeon Q2...

What does everyone recommend?

Topmark

RMS Regular
I went with Poorboys in the end. Very decent size tub for £16 on eBay. Came with some application pads and microfibre cloths, I'm sure there's better but still a nice bonus.

As for the sealant, I haven't looked back. Has made my wheels so much quicker to clean, powerhose now does 80% of the work on them very easily.

I've used it on 2 sets of wheels (so 8 wheels) and still have around half a tub left. Both sets were just new / newly refurbed when I applied it. Will be re-doing soon just to top up before I 'need' to do it, but it's still standing strong. Recommended!

Neil_M

RMS Regular
I went with Poorboys in the end. Very decent size tub for £16 on eBay. Came with some application pads and microfibre cloths, I'm sure there's better but still a nice bonus.

As for the sealant, I haven't looked back. Has made my wheels so much quicker to clean, powerhose now does 80% of the work on them very easily.

I've used it on 2 sets of wheels (so 8 wheels) and still have around half a tub left. Both sets were just new / newly refurbed when I applied it. Will be re-doing soon just to top up before I 'need' to do it, but it's still standing strong. Recommended!

It is great value for money. I'd suggest layering it, seems to work best for me.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Thread revival!

Bought new wheels for the Megane and looking to have them sealed before putting them on the car. I've done a bit of reading, including this thread, but can't decide on what to use. I've read good reports on Carbon Collective Platinum Wheels / Gtechniq C5, Gyeon Q2...

What does everyone recommend?

I really like Gyeon Rims. Very easy to apply and gives a great long lasting protecting finish. I've used Gtechniq in the past and while it worked just as well as the Gyeon it wasn't as easy to apply.

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
I really like Gyeon Rims. Very easy to apply and gives a great long lasting protecting finish. I've used Gtechniq in the past and while it worked just as well as the Gyeon it wasn't as easy to apply.

I've used both Gtechniq and Gyeon, been using Gyeon for about couple years now, wouldn't use anything else

Interesting as I've read very good reports on both Gtechniq and Gyeon, it's almost a coin toss between them both. Surprisingly though Gtechniq is quite a bit cheaper than Gyeon :rolleyes:

Edit, maybe not that much cheaper. eBay prices are a fair bit different but both circa £20 on different websites

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
@Eddie_ I use polished bliss, £23 delivered (NI is included in their free delivery area). Maybe not the cheapest but you get more product. I did two sets of rims front and back with the one bottle of Gyeon.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.