Wheels.......black spots

jinjur

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 172
Kinda pointless without a pic I know but will get one tonight

Wifeys BMW had refurbed wheels on it when we bought it and they were mint. Now, after a years driving they have piles of black gathered around the nooks and crannies.

So i thought it was tar and spanked the nuts off it with Tarminatooooooooooooooooooooooooor..............nope. It just sat there looking at me.

I then smacked it with some Purge iron remover.............nope

Wheel cleaner...........nope

Abusive language............nope

Someone please tell me I am going to have to clay bar this turd.

Swear to god I will sell the car instead of that :grinning:

J

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Not sure of who to buy from, but an acid wheel cleaner might shift it. I've never used any of the stuff before, but I do know you have to be very careful if using an acid wheel cleaner.

jinjur

RMS Regular
OP
jinjur
Drives
Clio 172
Yeah, I always use non acidic stuff and it has never done any harm to the wheels.

I remember how much of a mess acid based stuff made to some relatives wheels though but that was probably applied with ZERO sense :grinning:

J

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
I have similar problem, nothing works...not even Autosmart Smart Wheels or Dragon's Breath.

But I believe that @Big Pimp 's Stone Brite should do it, which reminds me I was meant to order some a while ago

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Fire up a pic, or WhatsApp me one, but at a guess, having used my other 2 big hitters, it may need a touch of UltraBrite (old name, stone brite)

jinjur

RMS Regular
OP
jinjur
Drives
Clio 172
Will do bud.......just received my replenishment package of more tarminator, purge and articulate today........cool driver phoned to see if i was in (which i wasn't) and then met me on my way home. Sound guy.

jinjur

RMS Regular
OP
jinjur
Drives
Clio 172
so yeah...................i saw the rain and decided the urgency for a picture was not there....... :grinning:

if mother nature would wise up a bit I will grab one today

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Sounds like whatever it is has worked its way into the lacquer, wet n dry would probably lift it but you would prob need to re-lacquer the spot after

jinjur

RMS Regular
OP
jinjur
Drives
Clio 172
FS Burt.......................THAT IS JUST DEPRESSING!

jinjur

RMS Regular
OP
jinjur
Drives
Clio 172
Ok............so my box of tricks arrived from Monsieur Pimp and I did a bit of testing on one wheel to see what I was up against.

This is certainly stubborn, i will say that.

So i cleaned the wheel with my cleaner of choice, still Cartec

Spots still there.

So i hit them with TARMINATOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR. Nothing moved, Nothing.

Next stop, I dosed one of the areas with Purge and she bled. She bled good. I left this for bit and then gave it a bit of an agitate with a brush.

Power washed. Still there.

Gave it another splash with Purge and agitated again, bled............rinsed. Still there.

Hit it with the clay bar and it marked the bar like tar would, but still didn't move.

Bear in mind I am not going mad here as I made the mistake of hitting marks with a clay bar before, did it wrong and marred the paint on my car and had to cut it out.

Anyway, so i splashed more TARMINATOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR on it. Nothing. No tar runs. Wouldn't move when wiped.

Starting to get grumpy, I hosed (HOSED) it with Purge again and the marks were bleeding again.

Could this be tar that is heavily contaminated with brake dust?

This is after 3 bouts of Purge, agitated every time, given long enough to work (but not too long) and a wee slap with clay in between.

TFqRjiv_0CZGbNVrT0aDsxDpf82KajZ81ipy5gcppDBK-RJ1oCFPp-GqmO7JHsX0gjwLmSerAyiXr5OJkTv4vVskWZ-XK1QjKf3vfi3FOf_WV4R5ipg-Z8kIm72Nf0bbdmk7lhrW2gB2mmQoWikmB7nVyNHFK_pTHkyPFqV2mWZY91PwBtMS2r3PpvpUTo6573m5yY6ucof9pAV3vxUPZWSWdVqKgb9vrGuP2bgH1uXRBpSu1qOp-02a43gsr5abxhz_qD_HMXJ1bmrMt0IRxeTYDZnwHcq3X6uV6RbNarTRW7Dx0RL8Ff2Dj0MQ2I3FzalgLsVD-0oQ1r37w1ts8ZTHA9wO8mmHKq3rodbUXo3UcBSEVVFxM9ow82GodEauH9DUs0fW8XzfCKJkTrGI8I8QNgjp5ywgATLVVZWhHZDXE7_P-hUBTHtd2Fb740CqmXHJFqg38fTUUXkzwwxiIyHDVaI2qdXG4gi01mnFFEozOYpchQaTnhv6GSyQ4xmuuuxkmYpUZ41Pxmd1VUc6dqyd2_pGLSPOF98m1dnuKKYmu3hflzgsSYClz1mNLzlNR7fx1_86bmeGVulJvtP8fynMwoMb0jCSukG36puHlgkwsb_TOd-oSbl6ioWPnUZ3KZOP09VLr17e8Nfi4YM5dopgiWHd4F3o=w528-h937-no

I personally feel that having used it, Purge is a safer option than other iron removal products for more frequent use but should i be looking towards something a bit more harsh here in terms of fallout removal and if so, any recommendations?

Cheers

J

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-12_10-9-58.png
    upload_2019-3-12_10-9-58.png
    824.5 KB · Views: 306

richie_mck

RMS Regular
After seeing your images i have exactly the same issue. Purge on and the spots will bleed but no matter how much dwell time they aren't shifting. My wheels were replaced under warranty in June so brand new and taken off in December so 6 months driving and about 6k miles.

jinjur

RMS Regular
OP
jinjur
Drives
Clio 172
I need ultra something that is for sure.

Is that a car product? I cannot see it on the Anachem Automotive site

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
Thought I’d update my tale of wheel cleaning woe.

No matter how hard I tried I couldn’t shift a fair bit of fallout from a set of wheels. I’d tried Dragons Breath, Autosmart Smart Wheels etc and after three years of trying nothing would shift it.

After a wash with Bilberry, Dragons Breath and then Autosmart this is what remained:

So following the advice on this thread I got some Stone Brite aka UltraBrite from @Big Pimp

A few sprays, a bit of agitation with a wheel brush and a wee poke with a lollipop stick in the hard to reach corners, and all the baked in crud was shifted!

Rarely do you find something that lives up to expectations, but UltraBrite exceeded it. After the money I’ve spent on top quality cleaners that don’t actually work I was well relieved.

So that’s my alloys finally looking like new again and ready for an application of Gyeon Rim.

Cheers @Big Pimp

Last edited: