Where for accident repair

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
Other half’s week old x5 ( old to us still 5yo) got rear bumped today.

Other party has accepted liability and wants to get it repaired privately.

Thoughts ? Even a no fault claim will put our premium up? Go via insurance to claim or sort private ?

Also who to use for repair? Private or via insurance. Some searching implied to avoid Wright’s? @Lyons you got the x5 fixed at agnews recently ?

Mainly scrapes and scratches, almost cracked on the lower rear bumper. Plastic near exhaust tail pipe and on mud flaps. Can’t see anything structural but it’s not my area do don’t know for sure.

Thoughts ?

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
OP
chrisdromore
Drives
a8
Sorry should have said dromore Co Down direction but be in Belfast frequently.

PDK

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E92 & E46
I was going to recommend Blair’s in Doagh. Buts it a bit far.

I got a bumper painted by a guy called Terry down that direction few years back, on the Artanagh Road, Dromara direction - can give you his details if you want. Others on here will prob know who he is, I was referred to him by @Bronk

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
OP
chrisdromore
Drives
a8
Do no harm to send on cheers.

Does anyone ever sort privately or always claim via your insurer?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
So you reckon a bumper would do it? Mine was done at Agnews and it’s like new, but even a bumper wouldn’t be cheap and I would say if it’s too dear they won’t want to pay for it outside insurance.

I’d get a quote, then let them decide. But I wouldn’t let it sit too long and I wouldn’t be doing them any favours.

PDK

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E92 & E46
If you sort it privately your insurance company won’t be aware of an accident. It will affect you if your are at fault or not.

We had a bit of an incident this last summer (our fault)
Repairs to our car and the other parties. Premium went up by £40.

Repairs around the £2k mark, as @Lyons said the cost can quickly spiral - will they arrange alternative transport also while yours is away?

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
OP
chrisdromore
Drives
a8
Don’t even know if it wud need a bumper or if it cud b sanded back and sprayed.
But it’s a special metallic mineral white I think , so wud want it done well.

But yes bumper and mud flap. Looks like slightly pressed in around toecover, parking sensors seem ok and didn’t see anything structural underneath.

Re the alternative cover not sure to that, going to be out on time and maybe money by sounds of it to some extent.

Far points on the premium goin up wen it’s not even your fault. Need to check if there is courtesy car cover, either way other party caused it, so should cover it. But obviously that’s not always the case I’m sure.

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
OP
chrisdromore
Drives
a8
Is there time limit to letting insurance company know? Ie if come back to other driver with a quote which they balk at a week after, then would need to go via insurance and notify them a week late.

So you reckon a bumper would do it? Mine was done at Agnews and it’s like new, but even a bumper wouldn’t be cheap and I would say if it’s too dear they won’t want to pay for it outside insurance.

I’d get a quote, then let them decide. But I wouldn’t let it sit too long and I wouldn’t be doing them any favours.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Terry McAteer outside Dromara is good, done @m00k Cavalier amongst others on the forum. Bit of a wait for him though.

Another vote for Terry, he did my BMW and 205. Does a great job, but as said bit of a wait.

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
OP
chrisdromore
Drives
a8
Grand thanks, more than likely sort through insurance so will need to be someone can use through them

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.