Where to start.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
So for many many years I have fancied a bike. Been speaking to a few people about it and anyone that has one absolutely loves it.

I have no experience on a bike at all and at 33 a few friends have said I'm too learn safely now? Is that really the case.

Also would I be better doing direct access and buying a 600 etc straight away.

I had thought about buying a 125 and just spending my time learning how to ride first of all?

Lastly I'm 6ft4 will that have much effect on riding certain bikes.

If I should go ahead, where do I start and are there any instructors on here?

Thanks. I am a complete noob but every time I get a bike in for coatings it just excited me all over again lol

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
I did direct access a few years back it’s the way to go. Proper training from an instructor from the word go. Sadly no bikes currently in the Cooper household. Yet.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Over 24 and you can only do direct access I would imagine. The CBT will cover you for 2 years to ride an L class bike solo

At 24 I did the direct access and bought a 803cc naked bike, brilliant for starting out on, as it was around 85hp, the 600cc gixxer I have now would be faster top end but the torque from the v twin Ducati made it accelerate well

I'd say you will be absolutely fine on any 600 especially at 33. If you can get the hang of the positioning and balance everything else is rather natural

Oh and A+ motorcycle academy were fantastic instructors. Worth the journey, I traveled from Warrenpoint to Lisburn for lessons with Ali and Rollo

SlowRider

RMS Regular
Definitely do the direct access and get on a 600cc. They are obviously bigger and more powerful but that extra weight will help with stability once you're up and moving. A 600 will also be more exciting for longer and more likely to get used once the novelty has worn off and you realise a 125 is sloooow.
At least you should know a man who can fix scrapes when you inevitably drop it trying to wheel it round by hand in the garage... We've all done it.

Marc C

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 325i Touring
Dying to get another bike myself. Had a 125 when I was 17 and absolutely loved it! Remember riding back from Omagh to Carrick one day and about 5 minutes in it started absolutely heaving it down - still loved every minute of it!

Been contemplating doing my bike test for years and getting a proper bike so I’ll keep a close eye on this thread!

KHI

RMS Regular
Drives
very early!
Go for it! A big plus of learning to ride at your age is that you have many years of road experience from driving cars.I did the Direct Access in my 30's and my first bike was an old ZX6R which was cheap to buy and insure,nowadays it would be classed a sports tourer.125's are tiny and as mentioned already,much less stable and wouldn't really be great for someone your height.Yes 600's are more powerful but certainly 600 sports bikes are tame lower down the revs and at the end of the day you control the revs.

I can highly recommend Stephen Mills from Moto Training Ni for tuition.He is just outside Broughshane and a really decent spud and once you're confident enough he'll take you up the Coast Road.His machines are Kawasaki 650cc parallel twins and very easy to ride.He'll start you on a Honda 125cc so you'll get to feel the differences yourself between a 125cc and a 650cc.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Yep, direct access. Was in the same boat as you a few years ago Pete & did it that way. Though the fact that anyone with zero experience can do a few lessons & a test then go straight out on a 600, some of which can be proper fast still makes me laugh, in a nervous way :monkey: :joy:

Lee

RMS Regular
Direct access for sure. I had zero experience and done it two years ago at 27 years old. You will realise that a big bike just feels better and more natural than a 125.

I used to think all bikers were nutters until I learned to ride a bike. Its what you make it. I will never be without a bike now

mn5587

RMS Regular
Drives
CLK 55 AMG
Do it.

Reiterating what everybody above as said. Do the direct access and get a 600. The variety of bikes mean that you will be able to get one that'll match your experience/riding style and it'll get you going.

I did the CBT route in my early 20s, rode a 125 for a year then big test followed by a 1000cc.

Oh and the modification possibilities are endless!

Nigelhg

RMS Member
So for many many years I have fancied a bike. Been speaking to a few people about it and anyone that has one absolutely loves it.

I have no experience on a bike at all and at 33 a few friends have said I'm too learn safely now? Is that really the case.

I had thought about buying a 125 and just spending my time learning how to ride first of all?

Thanks. I am a complete noob but every time I get a bike in for coatings it just excited me all over again lol

I had no motorcycle experience whatsoever and I did the direct access in 2017 and shortly after bought my first bike - an XSR900.

You'll have no regrets- one of the best things I've ever done.

Find a good instructor - I used RTS who were great.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Go for it! A big plus of learning to ride at your age is that you have many years of road experience from driving cars.I did the Direct Access in my 30's and my first bike was an old ZX6R which was cheap to buy and insure,nowadays it would be classed a sports tourer.125's are tiny and as mentioned already,much less stable and wouldn't really be great for someone your height.Yes 600's are more powerful but certainly 600 sports bikes are tame lower down the revs and at the end of the day you control the revs.

I can highly recommend Stephen Mills from Moto Training Ni for tuition.He is just outside Broughshane and a really decent spud and once you're confident enough he'll take you up the Coast Road.His machines are Kawasaki 650cc parallel twins and very easy to ride.He'll start you on a Honda 125cc so you'll get to feel the differences yourself between a 125cc and a 650cc.

+1 for Stephen, took me for my advanced mock as he's involved with IAM

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
I did my test, bought a bike. I’ll be honest I loved it. The acceleration was like nothing you get even in the fastest car, for a fraction of the price.

I never came close to crashing, but there was a couple of occasions someone nearly pulled out of a side road then saw me last second and stabbed the brakes. I wasn’t a natural rider, I had to think about every manoeuvre etc.

It got to the end of the end of the summer and I thought myself if I keep going it isn’t going to end well. I decided to sell up and said I’d never be on another one. That was 19 odd years ago, still haven’t.

Definitely miss it some days. I did my test with dr John Hinds who was one of my closest friends thru uni, we bought our bikes together etc. When he was killed that cemented it for me. I do think if I did it today it would be a different story, even in the type of bike I would buy, but the ship has sailed now for me.

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane

which type of bike are you leaning towards? I am 6'3 and carrying a fair bit of weight. I started on a 600 bandit and had a vfr750. been on plenty of others as well, the sports bikes just felt uncomfortable (wrists and knees) so was always looking forward to getting off. If I were in the market for a bike these days I would be after one of the adventure type bikes. I always thought these were more for mid 40's plus guys but I'm 30 and would be set on one.

johnm

RMS Regular
Definitely go direct access as your size on a 125 wouldnt pull you out of bed.
I used swift at stockman's there years ago, good bunch of guys.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
What is the first time insurance like for you guys who are older but have done direct access then jumping on to something with a bit of poke? When I passed my test at 20 the cheapest online or any brokers I rang was £800 for the first year on a 7 Year old Hornet 600.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
What is the first time insurance like for you guys who are older but have done direct access then jumping on to something with a bit of poke? When I passed my test at 20 the cheapest online or any brokers I rang was £800 for the first year on a 7 Year old Hornet 600.

I only done my test last August, having just turned 32 with plenty of previous driving convictions, and I insured my 2002 BMW R1150GS with Footman James on a classic policy for just over £200 fully comp which included ‘Helmet & Leathers’ cover up to £1000, ‘Spares and Extras’ cover which covered the panniers and top box along with anything else such as a satnav up to £2000, ‘Ride to Work’, EU cover, ride other bikes (as long as they are owned and insured by someone else) etc. Didn’t have to have a car policy with them or own a classic car or any of that nonsense either.

My new R1200GS Adventure is insured fully comp with Carole Nash, but without amy NCB and still having the licence under a year, it cost £600 which I was happy enough with given the level of cover (basically the same as above) and the value of the bike.

Process is real simple:

Book and pass theory test
Get lessons with a decent instructor and the CBT will be completed during your lessons (it’s not something you have to pay extra for or sit a specific independent test for)
When the instructor is happy they’ll tell you when to book the Module 1 exam (off road test consisting of 3 low speed and 3 high speed manoeuvres).
After that it’s time for Module 2, the on road test which sees you take instructions from the examiner and then complete an ‘independent ride’ which gives them time to follow you and assess you as you proceed at your own pace in your own direction as such.

Test fees, lessons and bike hire for both test modules tallied up to £510 for me last year, so not an expensive category to add to your licence.

Be prepared to consider cars boring and mundane when you get a bike... 👍

Last edited:

ToDoRon

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CB500f
Definitely go direct access as your size on a 125 wouldnt pull you out of bed.
I used swift at stockman's there years ago, good bunch of guys.

I used Swift for my lessons back in 2007 then only rode for about a year before selling up. Recently decided to go back to biking and did my refresher with Ronnie Whiteside same instructor who took me for my lessons who is now up with Moto Training NI in Broughshane.

Anyway getting back on a bike is the best thing I've done in years. You'll love it!!

KHI

RMS Regular
Drives
very early!
Be prepared to consider cars boring and mundane when you get a bike... 👍

Never a truer word said,I only use the car when I really have to.First bike I had a go on was a ZXR 400,felt like I was riding an exocet missile,it truly was a revelation after years of hot hatches.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Never a truer word said,I only use the car when I really have to.First bike I had a go on was a ZXR 400,felt like I was riding an exocet missile,it truly was a revelation after years of hot hatches.

It’s not even about the speed for me, which is why I bought a big adventure bike as opposed to a crotch rocket. It’s about getting out and clearing the head, meeting people you’d never otherwise meet, covering big miles with ease and seeing places I wouldn’t bother driving a car/jeep to etc.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the fast runs as much as anything, and at times get quite annoyed when the rest of the group aren’t able to comfortably sit at or maintain a good pace, but then again, as long as we’re out on the bikes any everyone goes home having enjoyed themselves, that’s all that matters.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
If you do consider a 125 then something like a 125 Varadero would be comfortable for your size. But to be honest, one of those 650 twins would be ideal to get started on. Something tall like a Vstrom would suit well and they are so easy to ride.
I remember when I did lessons on a CG125 I found the U turns harder than I did on the FZS600 that I bought after my test, probably because I was 6'2".

That was 18 years ago when it all pretty straightforward thankfully.

fabiostar

RMS Regular
Drives
if you havnt ridden a bike on the roads before the four most important things are.
1. cars(drivers) will not see you.
2 cars (drivers)will not see you because they dont ****ing look.
3 blah blah blah..........................because they are to busy doing **** in the car
4 blah blah blah..........................because 70% are mongs.

apart from that its brilliant