Where to start.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Did that myself lol. Honest to God I didn’t think it would make as much of a difference as it did. Bloody good engines those carburettored 600s. Real screamers.
Fantastic fun revving all the way to 14k

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon
Love the Hornet @Alemsee keep us up to date on it how it's going. I've got a couple of months to wait yet.

I'm nervous about getting onto a big bike again after a few months, might get in touch with the riding school about a quick refresher.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Love the Hornet @Alemsee keep us up to date on it how it's going. I've got a couple of months to wait yet.

I'm nervous about getting onto a big bike again after a few months, might get in touch with the riding school about a quick refresher.
I will do. It seems a great bike alright and really analogue which is a big attraction to me. Look forward to seeing your Trident also. Think if I was to buy I new bike, that would be it.

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon
Was in touch with the dealer last week, they are expecting one in for display before the end of the month, so hopefully will get over to see it and throw my leg over it.

Not getting too excited. Delivery for me is end of March so a couple of months to wait yet.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Have you any pics of what yours will look like? Is there anything by way of optional extras?

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon
I've put a few extras on it. I went with Sapphire black, as I didn't really like the union flag tanks. I've added the style pack, which is belly pan, fly screen and bar end mirrors. I then added grab rails, tank pad, and bobbins for a paddock stand. Have also been thinking about adding protection, Triumph seem to do a full range of that too.

There's no photos of it in black with that style pack, but plenty knocking around in the white. If you look at the first photo on this page near the bottom, it's pretty much that in black and without the tank bag and quickshifter. Not a great angle.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I've put a few extras on it. I went with Sapphire black, as I didn't really like the union flag tanks. I've added the style pack, which is belly pan, fly screen and bar end mirrors. I then added grab rails, tank pad, and bobbins for a paddock stand. Have also been thinking about adding protection, Triumph seem to do a full range of that too.

There's no photos of it in black with that style pack, but plenty knocking around in the white. If you look at the first photo on this page near the bottom, it's pretty much that in black and without the tank bag and quickshifter. Not a great angle.

Keep an eye out here too or sign up for offers.
I've had a couple of unbelievable deals from them in the past, for tiger 1050 sport. Like genuine engine bars for £35.
World Of Triumph | Motorcycle Parts, Clothing & Accessories Worldwide

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Do any of you recommend or deem it essential to have some sort of lock/ added security?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Do any of you recommend or deem it essential to have some sort of lock/ added security?

Disc lock that makes a lot of noise when disturbed. Get used to putting it on the right way (in front of the fork if you have parked in a way that means you have to roll the bike backwards before setting off, and very close to the under side of the caliper if you have backed into a space and know you will be setting off in a forwards directuon).

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Depends where you you par
Really depends on where you will be parking it and where you store it at home. Disc lock or a chain would the usual things. If your overnight storage is dodgy, then a fixed anchor is a good idea.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Disc lock that makes a lot of noise when disturbed. Get used to putting it on the right way (in front of the fork if you have parked in a way that means you have to roll the bike backwards before setting off, and very close to the under side of the caliper if you have backed into a space and know you will be setting off in a forwards directuon).
Left the disk lock on my Street Triple once before I went out for a ride, and when I put it on the paddock stand to lube the chain and check the back tyre the front wheel naturally rolled back and cracked the front mudguard off at the mounting point on the fork 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Left the disk lock on my Street Triple once before I went out for a ride, and when I put it on the paddock stand to lube the chain and check the back tyre the front wheel naturally rolled back and cracked the front mudguard off at the mounting point on the fork 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

The little lanyard that clips on to the handle bars as a visual reminder is a good job.

I was at the classic motorbike race day at Bishopscourt about 18 months ago and an aul fella about 70 or so years of age had a disc lock on the front of his K1600GT, a very big and heavy bike as I’m sure you’re aware. He must have put it on in front of the fork leg because when he got on the bike to ride off forwards, he had just lifted the feet and then BANG! Down she went like a ton of shiite...

Aul boy wasn’t too impressed with himself, but me and a mate got it back up on its wheels to assess the damage and got him on his way again. He was little more than 5ft tall and built like a cable tie, so the big K16 was definitely far too big for him without having to lift it off it’s side ffs...

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon
I'm fitting a ground anchor with an Almax chain, disc lock, and most likely an alarm. Also need to add more security to my gates. I live in south Manchester which is scrote city. It's going to be parked on the driveway, but thankfully we have 8ft tall fencing and gates so you'd need to be looking into the back of the house to see it.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Even a simple cover over it can be enough of a deterrent (inc gates, locks and chains) If it looks like effort to steal it's safe enough

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
My bike was in a locked brick garage but I still had a chain, ground anchor and alarmed disc lock. After near castrating myself trying to ride off with a disc lock I bought a big bright yellow coil lanyard I wrapped round the clutch lever to stop me riding off.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Motorbike theft seems to be very low in NI compared to the rest of the UK for whatever reason. My KTM 660 was a thief’s dream, no steering lock, no ignition key (from factory, last hardcore supermoto) and the disk wasn’t the right size for my disklock. I rewired the sidestand switch wiring into a hidden kill switch in the airbox but realistically a wee 10 stone divis hood was never for getting her going anyway with high compression, left hand kickstart only and a special process/knack to fire it up!

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Thought it's worth bumping this thread as was a good bit of chat happening here.

I've had my license about 6 months now and haven't been out as much as hoped mainly due to work and life but should be home a lot more over the summer. I have to say though I feel like I've gelled with being on a motorcycle more than I expected having absolutely zero prior experience.

Hoping over the next few years to get some good experience and decent rides around the place and try lots of different machines.

How are you getting on @ST Colin?

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon
Was going to update this thread, then forgot :joy:

I'm just about on 1000 miles now. Bit of a summary below. Apart from the few weeks I lost with the rear light warranty issue, it's been great. Getting comfortable on it has been pretty natural.

1 - Having been driving cars for almost 20 years and previously owned scooters, my general road craft is pretty good I think. Very much used to checking blind spots and watching out for everyone else. Plenty of numpties on the roads.
2 - I struggled with my gears early on. This was a mixture of a new tight gearbox, and me not having rode too many miles. Things have definitely improved. I'm now working on my rev matching. 50% success rate. Tips welcome!
3 - The right gear. I spent ages finding a helmet that was a good fit. In the end, AGV were the best. I've been struggling with my gloves. I bought lighter summer gloves and winter gloves. I find my right thumb gets squeezed, and the right hand glove hasn't broken in as much as the left. Odd.
4 - I haven't rode with others yet. All solo miles. I'm very nervous about riding with others, but I'm sure it will come in time. I also need to find new routes. Getting a bit bored of the same roads. Longer days out required.
5 - 80bhp is more than enough. I've used full throttle in 2nd/3rd a couple of times now since the first service was complete, and the novelty is still there. It's so addictive to be able to go to the stop. Surely 150bhp+ is too much?
6 - Counter steering. Something I think should be taught in riding schools? So important when cornering speeds rise and you want to make safe steady progress.
7 - Why didn't I do it all sooner!? Well, I almost passed my test when I was 18, but ended up getting sucked into buying a car. I even had a £99 deposit down on an SV650S with GS Motorcycles. How things could have been very different today.
8 - It has been great for clearing my head. I suffer from anxiety and depression and getting out for a couple of hours does help me switch off when I can just concentrate on riding and enjoying it.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Route planning is a dark art. Anyone can ride the popular roads to popular places, Newcastle/Ballycastle etc but taking the road less travelled requires an eye for it, good plotting software helps (I use ridewithgps for everything) and liberal use of streetview.

I've probably cycled roads I would purposely go back to on 🏍️ more often than not

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
6 - Counter steering. Something I think should be taught in riding schools? So important when cornering speeds rise and you want to make safe steady progress.
I'd agree strongly with this, I have a copy of the Police riders handbook to better motorcycling and it's not even mentioned there.

There must be reason why it's never talked about. Baffles me, because it's the single most useful thing I ever discovered about riding a bike.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
I'd agree strongly with this, I have a copy of the Police riders handbook to better motorcycling and it's not even mentioned there.

There must be reason why it's never talked about. Baffles me, because it's the single most useful thing I ever discovered about riding a bike.
I remember being taught this by my instructor and mind blown, great basic technique.

Lee

RMS Regular
Nice to hear how you're getting on @ST Colin .

I think it's important to get out with some experienced (but sensible) riders soon after passing your test. That's when the real learning starts. I find that biking is a much more enjoyable experience with others too.

I passed my test 3 years ago. Had a Street Triple as my first bike for two years, loved it. Done 12k miles on it.

On the bhp thing, I'd agree you don't need loads of power. I recently moved on to a Fireblade with 170 bhp. I happen to love it, but the power is crazy and just needs treated with manners.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
@ST Colin totally wondering the same myself about doing it sooner but it's been fun doing something new that I enjoy. I was actually just thinking I must practice my maneuvers again as I haven't don't them since passing my test.

I'm all solo miles too but hopefully get out with others at some point.

One thing I love when out on the bike is the biker nod, though I notice the GS riders don't get involved in this business 🤣.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
@ST Colin totally wondering the same myself about doing it sooner but it's been fun doing something new that I enjoy. I was actually just thinking I must practice my maneuvers again as I haven't don't them since passing my test.

I'm all solo miles too but hopefully get out with others at some point.

One thing I love when out on the bike is the biker nod, though I notice the GS riders don't get involved in this business 🤣.
I notice that too. Used to be mostly just Harley riders. Although the old boy pipe and slipper BMW riders were the ones who give you a big wave of the hand.