Where to start.

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport
Said this on another thread but does anyone else watch 44teeth on YouTube? Came across their channel a few months ago and binged all the vids. Think it’s one of the best for both entertainment and insight specifically for bikes.

mn5587

RMS Regular
Drives
CLK 55 AMG
Said this on another thread but does anyone else watch 44teeth on YouTube? Came across their channel a few months ago and binged all the vids. Think it’s one of the best for both entertainment and insight specifically for bikes.

Perfect timing! I was about to start looking for some good motorbike content on YouTube. Cheers for the recommendation

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Booked in for CBT on 15th. Can’t seem to get a date to do the theory test though

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
did a quick check on insurance tonight and about £250 for Honda hornet. Seems not bad tbh?

Nigelhg

RMS Member
44 teeth are good steam, fortnine is probably the most educational and best production values, missenden flyer is up there too. Alan Millyard's channel is my current addiction for clever 2 wheeled engineering- I mean the guy's a crazy genius.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
did a quick check on insurance tonight and about £250 for Honda hornet. Seems not bad tbh?

I paid just over £200 the day I passed my test for my R1150GS which was valued at £3000. That was a fully comp classic policy with Footman James which included riding to work, riding other bikes, pannier cover up to £1500, helmet and leathers cover up to £1500, EU cover etc. That cover can be applied to any bike over 15 years old with them.

Reactions: ALN

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport
44 teeth are good steam, fortnine is probably the most educational and best production values, missenden flyer is up there too. Alan Millyard's channel is my current addiction for clever 2 wheeled engineering- I mean the guy's a crazy genius.

Have you ever watched the Doghouse Customs channel? Granted It’s not quite the same since the On Yer Bike split but Craig does some of the nicest Royal Enfield bobbers I’ve seen!

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Have you ever watched the Doghouse Customs channel? Granted It’s not quite the same since the On Yer Bike split but Craig does some of the nicest Royal Enfield bobbers I’ve seen!
Arguably DogHouse is better, the split wasn't amicable in the slightest.

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport
Arguably DogHouse is better, the split wasn't amicable in the slightest.

It’s a pity because they had something good going but it seemed like Craig was doing all the work. I’d say the only way to make any sort of income from YouTube is to film and edit your own stuff. Anyway, I’d love one of those Enfield bobbers to plod around on. Beautiful.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Been browsing quite a few bike ads/classifieds to gauge what my money could get me. The used bikes really confuse me as I guess I don’t really know what I’m looking out for in a good or bad example and a lot of ads are very vague.
I really like these Husqvarna 401 and new prices are little more than used anyway. Seems like a good place to start and one you’d just keep alongside another maybe down the line and probably a good daily?

Any thoughts?

Wheelchair

RMS Regular
Drives
Been browsing quite a few bike ads/classifieds to gauge what my money could get me. The used bikes really confuse me as I guess I don’t really know what I’m looking out for in a good or bad example and a lot of ads are very vague.
I really like these Husqvarna 401 and new prices are little more than used anyway. Seems like a good place to start and one you’d just keep alongside another maybe down the line and probably a good daily?

Any thoughts?

Lovely wee bikes, I was planning to get a Vitpilen 701 before I got an XJ6 as my first bike. Head up to Hilltop Motors in Cullybackey for a nosey around them, I thought the 401 would be around the same size as an MSX but they’re a fair bit taller.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796

Any thoughts?

Might get boring rather quick for direct access 🤔

My first bike was a monster 796, 803cc with 87hp, nothing stupidly fast enough to kill myself but enough power and fun enough to enjoy thoroughly

Have had it 6 years and the noise alone from the v twin is fantastic

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Might get boring rather quick for direct access 🤔

My first bike was a monster 796, 803cc with 87hp, nothing stupidly fast enough to kill myself but enough power and fun enough to enjoy thoroughly

Have had it 6 years and the noise alone from the v twin is fantastic
I don’t really think it’s speed I’m after tbh but wouldn’t mind a decent note if I can get it. Hopefully once I get a few outings it will give me a taste of what I’m really after.
Love the look of the Ducati as well!

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
I don’t really think it’s speed I’m after tbh but wouldn’t mind a decent note if I can get it. Hopefully once I get a few outings it will give me a taste of what I’m really after.
Love the look of the Ducati as well!

If you're going with a naked bike you can just about rule out top speed anyway, lack of fairings makes anything over 100 uncomfortable, feels like the wind is trying to pull you off the bike unless fully tucked

Think the top speed on the Duc is 130ish whereas gsxr will do 165

Ducati is great for commuting as it's got plenty of low down torque being a V:heart: twin, and is very narrow, air cooled means it's got less components to go wrong, although servicing can be relatively dear, but I've done everything bar belts and valve clearances myself but will be giving them a go before it goes for not

Definitely try and test as many naked bikes as you can, I knew I wanted a naked as my first bike, ended up with it for 6 years now, bought it after my CBT before I even had the test 😂

Threw on a set of Akrapovic slip ons and it was an unbelievably loud first bike 😂

Nigelhg

RMS Member
If you're going with a naked bike you can just about rule out top speed anyway, lack of fairings makes anything over 100 uncomfortable, feels like the wind is trying to pull you off the bike unless fully tucked

Think the top speed on the Duc is 130ish whereas gsxr will do 165

Ducati is great for commuting as it's got plenty of low down torque being a V:heart: twin, and is very narrow, air cooled means it's got less components to go wrong, although servicing can be relatively dear, but I've done everything bar belts and valve clearances myself but will be giving them a go before it goes for not

Definitely try and test as many naked bikes as you can, I knew I wanted a naked as my first bike, ended up with it for 6 years now, bought it after my CBT before I even had the test 😂

Threw on a set of Akrapovic slip ons and it was an unbelievably loud first bike 😂
Pretty much my way of thinking too...a naked would help slow me down.... That why my first bike was an xsr900

rollinstone

RMS Regular
Drives
Old man car
Follow a few dealerships on the book of face too, I ended up getting her bike for 89 deposit 89 pm on a 4yr pcp for a brand spanking new bike couldn't be bad to it!

Lee

RMS Regular
If doing direct access then definitely go for something with some grunt, as long as you’re not a lunatic you’ll only ever go as fast as you want to. The power is handy for overtakes

JonnyB23

RMS Regular
It seems like none of the test centres are doing it atm. I’ll phone the number and see if they sheds any light
@Alemsee Pearson Centre in Ballymena has dates for the last week in November. Probably a bit far away given you have CBT booked but just to let you know.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
@Alemsee Pearson Centre in Ballymena has dates for the last week in November. Probably a bit far away given you have CBT booked but just to let you know.
Cheers mate. I’m guessing it’s just booked out atm. Maybe worth checking in the mornings for cancellation like MOT lol

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Ended up booking for end of November. Annoying it’s so far out but best to get something booked at least.

Thanks for the heads up @JonnyB23