Where to start.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Took a run over to a localish motorcycle store today to see about a helmet and gloves as I want my own from the start. Was less than impressed with the disinterest so left and took a run down to Infinity in Belfast off the back of the recommendation above. Brilliant staff and service and they got my custom. Drooled over all the Arai and Shoei gear but stayed sensible and am happy with my purchase. Picked up a pair of alpinestars gloves too.
196B600F-C08F-4943-A79F-A7E3EDAB7E45.jpeg

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Lisa and her team are brilliant, they love bikes and their jobs.. It shows in customer service

Reactions: ALN

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Lisa and her team are brilliant, they love bikes and their jobs.. It shows in customer service
Nail on the head there mate. The lad that looked after me was top drawer and has won future custom off me and not often I say that. I won’t be back in the other store as I think you have to fit in to get their service 🙄

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Nail on the head there mate. The lad that looked after me was top drawer and has won future custom off me and not often I say that. I won’t be back in the other store as I think you have to fit in to get their service 🙄

Not sure where you walked out of, but you should try Crossans in Mayobridge for crap customer service...

Rang them repeatedly for a fortnight as they had a bike I wanted to buy and as they weren’t accepting walk in customers in June, ringing and Facebook messenger were the only options. Sent a few Facebook messages only to be reminded of their opening hours and told to keep ringing, and when I asked for someone to call me back I was just told they are too busy for that.

Tried getting in touch at the start of July looking for tyres and checked that they had what I needed in stock via Messenger to then be told I needed to ring to make an appointment for fitting. Several unanswered phone calls seen me go elsewhere.

Rang and rang again in August to try and get an appointment to get fitted out with a new helmet and gear. Finally got a guy on the phone and I told him what I was after (a £500 Arai lid and a rather expensive brand of textiles, so not exactly wanting to waste their time on just a £29 pair of gloves sale...) and I’m still waiting on them ringing me back after trying to get them on numerous occasions afterwards.

They obviously make enough money doing something else to feel the need to bother with a petty £11,500 used bike sale or someone wanting to interrupt their personal time to drop a grand or so on gear or a set of tyres... I know I’ll not be trying them again, that’s for sure.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Feck sake @Nicky that’s poor indeed. I despise poor customer service. Don’t get me wrong I’m not expecting a red carpet or anything but when you try to explain your requirements to the owner and they can’t give you the time of day then what’s the point. Thankfully there’s good places out there too.

Really looking forward to Tuesday now

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Not sure where you walked out of, but you should try Crossans in Mayobridge for crap customer service...

Rang them repeatedly for a fortnight as they had a bike I wanted to buy and as they weren’t accepting walk in customers in June, ringing and Facebook messenger were the only options. Sent a few Facebook messages only to be reminded of their opening hours and told to keep ringing, and when I asked for someone to call me back I was just told they are too busy for that.

Tried getting in touch at the start of July looking for tyres and checked that they had what I needed in stock via Messenger to then be told I needed to ring to make an appointment for fitting. Several unanswered phone calls seen me go elsewhere.

Rang and rang again in August to try and get an appointment to get fitted out with a new helmet and gear. Finally got a guy on the phone and I told him what I was after (a £500 Arai lid and a rather expensive brand of textiles, so not exactly wanting to waste their time on just a £29 pair of gloves sale...) and I’m still waiting on them ringing me back after trying to get them on numerous occasions afterwards.

They obviously make enough money doing something else to feel the need to bother with a petty £11,500 used bike sale or someone wanting to interrupt their personal time to drop a grand or so on gear or a set of tyres... I know I’ll not be trying them again, that’s for sure.
That's good to know because I've been recommending them in the past for good service and they are Arai 5 star dealer, possibly the only one in NI? I'll hold my judgement for now because I haven't had any dealing since before Covid. Never bought a bike from them but I do notice that their bike stock tends to sit for a long long time.
I guess mail order is where most of their efforts go.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
That's good to know because I've been recommending them in the past for good service and they are Arai 5 star dealer, possibly the only one in NI? I'll hold my judgement for now because I haven't had any dealing since before Covid. Never bought a bike from them but I do notice that their bike stock tends to sit for a long long time.
I guess mail order is where most of their efforts go.

I bought my Arai from Module. Infinity had them in stock too, but not the colour and size I wanted. It turned out that Module were £40 cheaper too, and the service was excellent, so can’t complain at all.

john-c

RMS Regular
TBH I haven't had any dealings with Crossans post Covid, but in two visits last winter I bought a new Shoei lid + visor and an AStar Jacket and gloves. Both times I dealt with the baldy guy (Sorry fella!) and he couldn't have been more attentive and patient, especially with the helmet fitting. (They didn't have the helmet colour I wanted so it was posted direct to my house) Great service and although I live in North Down next time I need something they'll be my first port of call.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Completed my CBT today and had a blast. Really enjoyed the learning experience and feel like I was able to progress well given I’d never been on a motorcycle of any kind before.

I also now get why most recommend the 600 lol. The 125 is a laugh and would be good craic riding a Honda monkey or whatever but 600cc is a better do all

345D7BF3-BF41-46D5-93C5-84978320ACD3.jpeg

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Been browsing quite a few bike ads/classifieds to gauge what my money could get me. The used bikes really confuse me as I guess I don’t really know what I’m looking out for in a good or bad example and a lot of ads are very vague.
I really like these Husqvarna 401 and new prices are little more than used anyway. Seems like a good place to start and one you’d just keep alongside another maybe down the line and probably a good daily?

Any thoughts?

Only 44hp and a single, so won't sound amazing. I'd go something a bit pokier, or with more engine character. You'll get more excitment out of your M3 than a 401 Husky.

My Triumph Street Cup was around 55hp, but was a thumpy twin so sounded lovely and had real character.

Ducati scrambler would be a good shout.

Last edited:

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
@Alemsee Pearson Centre in Ballymena has dates for the last week in November. Probably a bit far away given you have CBT booked but just to let you know.
Managed to get my test moved to first week of October there in case you are looking anything. That was Portadown but ballymena had same date I think
Only 44hp and a single, so won't sound amazing. I'd go something a bit pokier, or with more engine character. You'll get more excitment out of your M3 than a 401 Husky.

My Triumph Street Cup was around 55hp, but was a thumpy twin so sounded lovely and had real character.

Ducati scrambler would be a good shout.

I’m not really after pure speed thrills on a bike tbh though today was my first experience on a motorcycle. Definitely will be looking in the 600-800cc bracket.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Wringing the neck out of something small will arguably make you a better rider in terms of being smooth and throwing a bike through the corners. But the temptation to point and squirt on a bigger bike hard to resist.
So I'm going say a CB500 would be a good compromise.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Do bike brands sort of sit the way car brands typically do. As in Dacia being bottom end and Porsche being top end. Is that similar to Suzuki to Ducati for example?

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Nope, they all have a top end bike comparable to each other and various midrange stuff.

If you're buying a Dingdong 125 then it would absolutely not be anything like an R125/ CBR125 etc

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
I bought my Arai from Module. Infinity had them in stock too, but not the colour and size I wanted. It turned out that Module were £40 cheaper too, and the service was excellent, so can’t complain at all.

I would have been a big fan of module in the past, probably spent over £3000 in there over the years between kitting myself and the wife out, but there attitude recently is terrible. I was barely up the stairs and the woman was straight over to ask if I was there to look or buy, I was there to buy new leathers but they made a whole fuss about trying them on that I walked out and bought them online saving myself £100 on the leathers alone. I won't be back as sportsbikeshop offer free returns.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Do bike brands sort of sit the way car brands typically do. As in Dacia being bottom end and Porsche being top end. Is that similar to Suzuki to Ducati for example?
Everyone has their own opinion but loosely speaking I'd say the big 4 japanese brands are all on the same level. Similar for BMW and Triumph. Ducati, KTM and Aprillia maybe a bit more towards the exotic end some models need more servicing etc. Then others like Cagiva which could be rare and slightly special, or just average depending on model.
You have asian brands like Kymco and Housung that are like the Dacia equivalent. Then below that are the Chinese brands, mostly scoots and 125s.

And then there's Harley and Indian. But they are a whole different thing, lol.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I would have been a big fan of module in the past, probably spent over £3000 in there over the years between kitting myself and the wife out, but there attitude recently is terrible. I was barely up the stairs and the woman was straight over to ask if I was there to look or buy, I was there to buy new leathers but they made a whole fuss about trying them on that I walked out and bought them online saving myself £100 on the leathers alone. I won't be back as sportsbikeshop offer free returns.
I'm on the fence with Module. I've bought some gear off them in the past had great deals, There was a youngish girl there one time who helped get the wife kitted out; she was super helpful. But with yer big man hanging around chipping in, my wife was just about ready to walk out, he was so irritating. But sometimes he's fine and helpful or lets you browse, sometimes he's on you like a rash with opinions and what not.

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon
This is the worst thread I think I could have read today. I keep thinking about getting a bike over my mid life crisis car. I know it will be cheaper, and probably more fun when it counts. Still wish I'd booked my test after getting my theory test and doing all my lessons back when I was 18. Walked away as I couldn't quite afford the bike I wanted.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
This is the worst thread I think I could have read today. I keep thinking about getting a bike over my mid life crisis car. I know it will be cheaper, and probably more fun when it counts. Still wish I'd booked my test after getting my theory test and doing all my lessons back when I was 18. Walked away as I couldn't quite afford the bike I wanted.
Do it mate and join the RMS noob bikers with me

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
I’m not really after pure speed thrills on a bike tbh though today was my first experience on a motorcycle. Definitely will be looking in the 600-800cc bracket.
Mentioned before but Street Triple 675 hands down speaking from owning one for 3 years. Has the character and torque you don't get with a 4 cylinder, cracking build quality, the noise, comfort...I could go on. Sat evenly with a CBR600 when I dragged it at Bishopscourt and gave a mate on a Fireblade 929 a hard time over the Mournes into triple figures, so there is plenty of poke with them! A world away from a Honda Hornet 600 I owned previously. I always bought genuine parts and found them to be a bit pricey, and as stock it had a very long first gear topping out at 75mph or so (which is easily remedied with a sprocket change) are the only downsides I can think of.

Reactions: Lee

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon
Do it mate and join the RMS noob bikers with me

Seriously tempted to aim for getting one next Spring. I really like the MT07, but I'm 6 1" so it might be a bit too small for me. Also, many reviews say the suspension is poor and the brakes are crap. Still, probably worth it for that engine with a nice exhaust on it.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Mentioned before but Street Triple 675 hands down speaking from owning one for 3 years. Has the character and torque you don't get with a 4 cylinder, cracking build quality, the noise, comfort...I could go on. Sat evenly with a CBR600 when I dragged it at Bishopscourt and gave a mate on a Fireblade 929 a hard time over the Mournes into triple figures, so there is plenty of poke with them! A world away from a Honda Hornet 600 I owned previously. I always bought genuine parts and found them to be a bit pricey, and as stock it had a very long first gear topping out at 75mph or so (which is easily remedied with a sprocket change) are the only downsides I can think of.
I do like the street triple (looks and brand anyway) but I fear it’s over budget really. I think I need something to get going for a year and then I can assess and maybe justify something fresher.

I do plan to use this as much as possible for commuting. I’m only about 10 miles away from work on good decent B roads

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Seriously tempted to aim for getting one next Spring. I really like the MT07, but I'm 6 1" so it might be a bit too small for me. Also, many reviews say the suspension is poor and the brakes are crap. Still, probably worth it for that engine with a nice exhaust on it.
The MT07 was like a monkey bike under me, 6ft 3 but it was still comfortable enough! The Tracer 700 was a tad better