Where to start.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
They are (y) Did you happen to see what it is the school uses for their "big bike" ?

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Cool, can't go too far wrong with either of those. The newer suzukis have a low RPM assist thing that makes slow/town riding handier

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182

Attachments

• 929E27B6-F5C7-4313-B13B-C6A9EC304A6E.png
    929E27B6-F5C7-4313-B13B-C6A9EC304A6E.png
    629.2 KB · Views: 62

Lee

RMS Regular
Theory test passed! Now onto the practical stuff. Have my first hours of lessons at the end of this month.

Good stuff 👍

I really enjoyed learning to ride a bike. It’s like it resets the excitement of learning to drive a car and passing your test. Except bikes are much better.

And that sense of excitement of moving up to different power levels of bikes. It’s like that excitement over things you got when you were a child, and sort of leaves as you become an adult

Reactions: Ben

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
And that sense of excitement of moving up to different power levels of bikes. It’s like that excitement over things you got when you were a child, and sort of leaves as you become an adult

I went straight on to an 1150 which I bought before doing the test last year and now a 1200. Couldn’t face funking about with small displacement bikes... lol

Now on the hunt for a 1500+CC cruiser to build...

Reactions: Lee

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Lesson done this morning in prep for off the road test. Think another one should see me right. Also splashed out on pair of boots and a jacket though made good savings over retail using price match

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon
Nice one. How have you found the bigger bike? I'm picking up my helmet and own boots next week.

Reactions: ALN

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Nice one. How have you found the bigger bike? I'm picking up my helmet and own boots next week.
Good. My only issue was learning to trust it to propel itself on the slow manoeuvres as I found myself is wanting to clutch a lot in fear of it stalling.

Do you know what sort of helmet you’re after?

Edit: Sorry I mean lid. That’s what we call it now we’re bikers @ST Colin

Last edited:

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Good. My only issue was learning to trust it to propel itself on the slow manoeuvres as I found myself is wanting to clutch a lot in fear of it stalling.

Keep a little pressure on the clutch all the time when doing slow manoeuvers to take up the few mm of slack. Then just squeeze it/feather it to keep the speed under control. It's much more acceptable to do this on a bike than you would on an average car. Probably not the mid range bikes you are learning on, but some bigger bikes have very high first gears. (Some litre sports bikes will do 100mph in 1st gear )

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon

Have ordered a KGV K5-S. Tried on the K3 which was a really nice fit but they didn't have a K5 in the colour I wanted. Just need to try on some boots.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Keep a little pressure on the clutch all the time when doing slow manoeuvers to take up the few mm of slack. Then just squeeze it/feather it to keep the speed under control. It's much more acceptable to do this on a bike than you would on an average car. Probably not the mid range bikes you are learning on, but some bigger bikes have very high first gears. (Some litre sports bikes will do 100mph in 1st gear )
All the instructors insist on no clutch at all. Bike only pootles along at 5mph so slow enough but I just have this sensation of it cutting out. Sort of over it now thankfully
Have ordered a KGV K5-S. Tried on the K3 which was a really nice fit but they didn't have a K5 in the colour I wanted. Just need to try on some boots.
That’s a nice looking lid. I think the right sort of price bracket too. Mine has bedded in nicely already and feels great and I’m glad I got one right away.

Just looking to pick up a pair of Kevlar jeans now or maybe textiles that will fit over trousers if thats a thing

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
All the instructors insist on no clutch at all. Bike only pootles along at 5mph so slow enough but I just have this sensation of it cutting out. Sort of over it now thankfully
Ah ok, sorry for any confusion. I remember being taught to do this during U-turns, but I suppose that was 20 years ago, might be different now.

Lee

RMS Regular
I was taught to use the clutch and I only learned 2 years ago. I would have thought you’d be going a bit too fast for some of the manoeuvres without using the clutch but obvs not.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I was taught to use the clutch and I only learned 2 years ago. I would have thought you’d be going a bit too fast for some of the manoeuvres without using the clutch but obvs not.
Light pressure on the rear brake while the clutch is fully out keeps the bike in check for the slow speed slalom, slow ride and figure 8’s. I was told that the instructor would be watching to ensure the left hand wasn’t pulling the clutch during those manoeuvres.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
I booked another lesson for Saturday which will hopefully see me right for the test. I’m going thinking of bringing the bike up to woke so I can ride about the industrial estate to practice lol

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon
Picked up my AGV K5-S yesterday along with some nice RST boots. Pretty much ready to go now. Also booked in my MOD1 for early November. All getting very real and the nerves are setting in already. I have 2 days of lessons next weekend.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Y?

Motorcycle tests still go ahead as they are not considered close contact. Surely lessons would be the same no??
Guy said they were given notice today that they had to close for 4 weeks or something to that effect.

Edit: apparently it’s a decision made by the NI Executive and DVA that the motorcycle training industry should stop training and testing for 4 weeks. Sort of wish I’d just picked up a 125 now so I could have got out

Last edited: