Where to start.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Guy said they were given notice today that they had to close for 4 weeks or something to that effect.

Edit: apparently it’s a decision made by the NI Executive and DVA that the motorcycle training industry should stop training and testing for 4 weeks. Sort of wish I’d just picked up a 125 now so I could have got out

If you were on the bike now, you’d need to prepare for a tirade of abuse and dirty looks.

I’d a guy give off **** at me at the early stage of lockdown #1 when I stopped for fuel because I was being irresponsible and selfish for using my bike at that stage, so I lifted the disposable boiler suits that were destined for the Craigavon hospital Covid Ward out of the top box and said “I’m doing a voluntary PPE run to the hospital with these donated suits. Is that ok, or would ya rather I sat at home and let the doctors and nurses fend for themselves?”

Poor guy near fell over himself getting away as quick as he could... 😂

Reactions: ALN

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
If you were on the bike now, you’d need to prepare for a tirade of abuse and dirty looks.

I’d a guy give off **** at me at the early stage of lockdown #1 when I stopped for fuel because I was being irresponsible and selfish for using my bike at that stage, so I lifted the disposable boiler suits that were destined for the Craigavon hospital Covid Ward out of the top box and said “I’m doing a voluntary PPE run to the hospital with these donated suits. Is that ok, or would ya rather I sat at home and let the doctors and nurses fend for themselves?”

Lol I wouldn’t have justified myself but fair play. Hopefully in the future he will mind his own business

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
This whole bike thing with covid has been so poorly dealt with. DVA were on today saying they can recommence testing but since they refunded me already they need to take payment again. I said that was fine but I’d need to speak to my instructor to see about bike and getting lessons in again since the test is this bloody Monday. Thankfully the instructor could squeeze me in Saturday morning. Fingers crossed

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various

?....... meaning that people think a bike is just for leisure and not a useful form of transport.

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon
Completed my MOD1 and first part of MOD2 training this weekend. Really enjoyed it. Was very nervous about getting onto the big bike. Only dropped my foot a couple of times in the beginning. Got my MOD1 test next week. Bloody nervous already!

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon
Nice one @Alemsee ! No pressure on me then :cool: The u-turn is the move I'm most nervous about, everything is totally fine. I'm sure I will be fine.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Nice one @Alemsee ! No pressure on me then :cool: The u-turn is the move I'm most nervous about, everything is totally fine. I'm sure I will be fine.
More so that the figure of 8? It might sound daft but I found walking the process helped lol. I would focus to close in front of me but if I paced it helped me find my focal points for when on the bike

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon
Yea, I'm not sure why though. I'm thinking that it is a tighter turn than it actually is. I'll get a short bit of practice in before the test.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Yea, I'm not sure why though. I'm thinking that it is a tighter turn than it actually is. I'll get a short bit of practice in before the test.
It's all about the head and the eyes; looking where you want to finish the turn.

Lee

RMS Regular
I don't know about your instructors, but mine had everything placed a bit tighter when practising for the off road test, so when I went for the test I was actually pleasantly surprised!

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon
We actually learnt on an old closed road. A few loose stones, and a camber either side from the centre. So we needed more clutch control than on a perfectly flat test centre. Hoping the test centre will feel huge compared to that.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
The flatness and smoothness made it much easier at the test centre I think. @ST Colin see if you can beat my 70kph through the speed trap lol.

Got my mod 2 booked for couple of weeks time

I think I may as well summarise my cost of entry here as it may be of use to others interested.

Protective Gear
Helmet £200
Gloves £80
Jacket £150
Trousers £100
Boots £130
TOTAL £660

Lessons/Test
Theory practice app and test £40
CBT £180
Lessons x 5 £150 (3x off the road / 2x on the road)
Mod 1 test including bike hire and lesson that morning £100
Mod 2 test including bike hire and lesson £130
TOTAL £600

And just for budget purposes
Bike £2000
Tax/insurance £300
Maintenance bits £100

Grand total £3660

In summary the cost of getting on the road is about £3k-£4k starting from scratch depending on what you want to spend on clothing, bike and how many lessons and tests you need.

Factor in some man maths for your own personal circumstances and you’re golden so for me I could save £1k a year on fuel so basically paid for itself in a few years making it completely free!

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon
Interesting costings @Alemsee

I was able to get well over the 50kph needed for the avoidance and e-stop. Will see how I get on!

My costs are as follows.

Gear (so far)
Helmet £250
Boots £110
Gloves £70

Lessons
CBT £150
Theory test £23
DAS £899 includes test fees. Total time on the bike is 15 hours approx

I went through a comparison website to get quotes on an new MT07 valued at £7k. I was getting quotes well over £1200 for a year! I'm 38, driving NCD doesn't count of course, so I'm going to say it's down to living in south Manchester and it not being garaged but on private land at the house.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
I went through the trap at 51mph lol. Instructor kept going on about making sure I hit 51kph, so I just pinned it and read the number from the speedo forgetting it was in mph 🤦‍♂️
Still passed lol.

Nigelhg

RMS Member
Interesting costings @Alemsee

I was able to get well over the 50kph needed for the avoidance and e-stop. Will see how I get on!

My costs are as follows.

Gear (so far)
Helmet £250
Boots £110
Gloves £70

Lessons
CBT £150
Theory test £23
DAS £899 includes test fees. Total time on the bike is 15 hours approx

I went through a comparison website to get quotes on an new MT07 valued at £7k. I was getting quotes well over £1200 for a year! I'm 38, driving NCD doesn't count of course, so I'm going to say it's down to living in south Manchester and it not being garaged but on private land at the house.
Oh that's dear- my xsr900 (an MT-09 with retro clothes) was £680 to insure the first year (now just over £200) and that was with pillion and track day cover- try MCE

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon
Yea, will really need to shop around properly and actually ring brokers instead of online quotes. Always a little bit tricky when I'm not actually in the position to buy just yet. Online quotes did throw up that an SV650 is cheaper to insure than the MT07.

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon
So was due to take my MOD1 on Thursday. New lockdown in England kicking in then so I’ve probably just missed it. Hopefully I can get it rebooked for early December fingers crossed. Need to wait until Monday to see if it actually is cancelled. The gov.uk website doesn’t mention anything about driving tests. Will probably end up taking a quick refresher if it is postponed.

Oh, and went to a Triumph dealer to chat about the new Triumph Trident....

Last edited:

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Ahh that’s wick @ST Colin. Mine got cancelled and then got the green light again shortly after so hopefully they see sense and let it run.

New triumph trident is a beaut of a bike and would be a cracker to own.

Was out today for a lesson and went well. Seem to have taken to the bike pretty well for an absolute noob and really enjoyed the ride. Can’t wait to have proper freedom lol

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon
Yea I checked the nidirect site and noticed that car tests are cancelled and bike tests are going ahead, so a very small glimmer of hope for me here. Fingers crossed, I'm sure I'll find out in the next day or two.

Big bike is great, so much more stable. What bike are you learning on?

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Yea I checked the nidirect site and noticed that car tests are cancelled and bike tests are going ahead, so a very small glimmer of hope for me here. Fingers crossed, I'm sure I'll find out in the next day or two.

Big bike is great, so much more stable. What bike are you learning on?

Kawasaki er6n. Big old lump with crash bars fitted. What have you been on?

Reactions: Ben

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon
SV650. Really nice. Would consider one just for the engine. Bit outdated though. Crash bars fitted also