Which car cover?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
The Zed is going into storage over winter guys, for first time it won’t be stored at home.

Long story short over last 3 months have had 3 instances of people snooping round back/driveway early hours of morning and I think they are looking for an opportunity to pinch it.

So will be heading away for a little while into a farm. I prob won’t have indoor storage but rather in yard or under a hay shed roof.

What cover would work best for outdoor protection? I will be up once a week to check it over and start it and get up to temp etc.

Not against something 2nd hand or even a cheap carcoon if price was right.

What experience do you all have and what’s worked best?

Thanks

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Mine is an indoor cover, wouldnt take well to getting wet as its fleeced lined. I know @Andy888 has an outdoor cover and possibly @lightning has an outdoor bubble.

On a side note, that is concerning about people snooping round it. Hopefully nothing ever happens and you have deterred them enough.

Jonny

RMS Regular
The Zed is going into storage over winter guys, for first time it won’t be stored at home.

Long story short over last 3 months have had 3 instances of people snooping round back/driveway early hours of morning and I think they are looking for an opportunity to pinch it.

So will be heading away for a little while into a farm. I prob won’t have indoor storage but rather in yard or under a hay shed roof.

What cover would work best for outdoor protection? I will be up once a week to check it over and start it and get up to temp etc.

Not against something 2nd hand or even a cheap carcoon if price was right.

What experience do you all have and what’s worked best?

Thanks

I’d look into offsite storage mate. Get it out of sight.

da.murf

RMS Regular
OP
da.murf
Drives
Nissan 350z
I’d look into offsite storage mate. Get it out of sight.

Yup heading off to the countryside till spring. Last guy dandered up driveway and round the back at 6.25am. Wife was up with Ezra and heard him. Though it was me back from gym early and turned lights on downstairs and then heard him run up drive way.

One before left nose and sticky had prints on rear and front door windows like they had been pressed against glass looking in for keys visible etc.

One before got chased by a large lurcher.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
I’ve a storm force cover for the 996. Has served me well for a couple of winters. Definitely a quality product and breathable. Last thing you want is moisture trapped underneath not able to escape.

Have you budget for paying for storage. I know where you could keep it indoors in Ards in cctv protected business premises. I had the Porsche there last year in a trickle charger and will probably do same this year. Starting and running it every week I don’t think is a great idea. Also sitting out not moving might not be kindest to brakes etc, especially if on damp farm ground.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
I’ve a storm force cover for the 996. Has served me well for a couple of winters. Definitely a quality product and breathable. Last thing you want is moisture trapped underneath not able to escape.

Have you budget for paying for storage. I know where you could keep it indoors in Ards in cctv protected business premises. I had the Porsche there last year in a trickle charger and will probably do same this year. Starting and running it every week I don’t think is a great idea. Also sitting out not moving might not be kindest to brakes etc, especially if on damp farm ground.

Can you send me the details for this? Possibly need storage for the mk2 golf over the winter.
Sorry to hijack your thread @da.murf

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
As above starting it every week etc is a waste of time.

Plus I dunno how you’d be bothered going offsite every week to do that.

Either proper storage or invest in some better security around the house would be my choice, even if the car isn’t stored there, I wouldn’t want anyone snooping around the house

da.murf

RMS Regular
OP
da.murf
Drives
Nissan 350z
As above starting it every week etc is a waste of time.

Plus I dunno how you’d be bothered going offsite every week to do that.

Either proper storage or invest in some better security around the house would be my choice, even if the car isn’t stored there, I wouldn’t want anyone snooping around the house

Offsite is parents place in country. So will be out there visiting anyway.

Yeah looking at security. Our home doesn’t stand out in our area and having anything of worth and if anything my random hours and wife part time equates us to be being home more than other homes. I know it’s the motor they are after.

Car will sorned till end of March so not overly long. I start it more to bring oil up to temp and keep battery healthy etc.

I don’t have the ££ for proper storage unfortunately. Why would starting weekly be a bad idea?

Cunning

RMS Regular
I have a Carcoon for sale, great job, used it to store he Porsche outdoor. Drop me a PM if you are interested

Attachments

• 302527B7-8934-4771-9EF8-ABCE82854392.jpeg
    302527B7-8934-4771-9EF8-ABCE82854392.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 1C73E7D3-D6B6-41DF-9BE1-1D357245794E.jpeg
    1C73E7D3-D6B6-41DF-9BE1-1D357245794E.jpeg
    207.3 KB · Views: 139

johna3

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2Golf/defendr
I'd avoid those cheaper car covers as they just trap moisture and cause issues. If its going to sit until spring then why not leave it out in the open with added security, i.e. jacked up and wheels off it.

Carcoons are great if you want to spend a few quid!

da.murf

RMS Regular
OP
da.murf
Drives
Nissan 350z
I'd avoid those cheaper car covers as they just trap moisture and cause issues. If its going to sit until spring then why not leave it out in the open with added security, i.e. jacked up and wheels off it.

Carcoons are great if you want to spend a few quid!

Anyone set a axel stands I can borrow for 5 months lol?

da.murf

RMS Regular
OP
da.murf
Drives
Nissan 350z
£30 would probably buy a set in Halfords!

Good point lol. Had in my head they would be more Expensive.

Car safe enough on them for a few month with wind etc?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.