Which car Golf GTI or Golf R

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
C3B4A70B-7982-4A61-A176-2242A991ACEC.jpeg

Always loved this GTi when looking at colors before I bought the GTD.

pinto200

RMS Regular
Have a 7.5 gti a couple of months now,it’s a great all rounder. Refined , comfortable , great tech with lots of nice little touches. So easy on fuel on my longish commute and swift enough when you take the notion.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
I think GTI TCR is the best of the bunch, sounds and looks better than the R all day long.

I drove the R, a GTI and the GTI TCR back to back. The TCR looks so much more purposeful, the R is definitely quicker from a standing start but I’m beyond racing people off the line these days.

I would also say the TCR will hold its money better, seeing R after R on a daily basis also put me off buying one.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I bought a 7.5R new and only kept it around 8 months. Does everything very well...maybe too well if that makes sense. Stupidly quick for a golf and sticks to the road but just lacked that something that makes you enjoy a back road blast. The styling of the interior and exterior is bang on especially in white silver.

I now have a 7GTIPP. I love it, not as quick obviously but alot more fun to chuck about on a back road. I would personally have my GTI to drive but my old R for the looks.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Personally I think the 7 R is nicer looking than the 7.5, but the GTi 7 or 7.5 trumps both.

Have to agree with @Lyons on this point. The 7R looks agressive and purposeful where as the 7.5R looks like a.....Golf. One of the reasons I believe is people say you dont see as many of them is that you simply don't recognise it as a R.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Most people probably confuse the R with the R Line Golf.

Plus it doesn’t help when dealers throw a set of wheels and metro plates (usually English reg) at an R Line then stick ’Golf R’ in the advert.

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
I cancelled my order for a Performance Pack GTi (would have been one of the first sold over here) and went for an R, best decision I made. A non PP will be very understeery, the PP is better with the diff, but it’s still only fwd.
If your considering mods, an R with an intake, map and exhaust will be the dogs danglys in comparison

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
take a few out for test drives, make your own mind up as everyone has different views and experiences, personally I’d be happy with either but a well spec’d suitably modified R would be top of my list... if I wasn’t such a miserable ba stard :p

bob

RMS Regular
I’ve sold a few of both models, mixture of DSG and manuals - when buying one for myself I ended up going for a GTI manual. I prefer both it’s exterior and interior over the R, it has plenty of power and for my type of driving 4WD was no benefit. Cheaper to buy and a bit easier to run. The R is a fantastic car though I can see how one might suit someone else’s needs better than a GTI.

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
If there hadn’t been the run on cheap lease R’s when they came out, there would be no one in their right mind actually believing that they’d want a 220bhp fwd car over a 300bhp 4wd car.
They’ve created a ‘negative’ persona with drivers.
take it to Audi, it’s like saying you aspire to own an S3 but never an RS3.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
If there hadn’t been the run on cheap lease R’s when they came out, there would be no one in their right mind actually believing that they’d want a 220bhp fwd car over a 300bhp 4wd car.
They’ve created a ‘negative’ persona with drivers.
take it to Audi, it’s like saying you aspire to own an S3 but never an RS3.

Lol the FWD aspect was the bit that irritated me the most with my MK5 GTi. If it was 4wd I'd probably still have it!